Sign in to follow this  
essee

Corrado MPG - Which is best?

After taking a colleague's Storm (N reg in green, before you ask) out for a spin, I instantly fell in love with the Corrado. :D

Having previously owned a mk3 GTI, I'm gagging to get back into another sporty VW, as my Audi is far too slow, boring and expensive for what it is...

Unfortunately, I do a fair bit of travelling, work and girlfriend lives miles away...

Which is the best Corrado for MPG? Obviously my purchase is not totally based on MPG, but this info would definitely influence which model.

1.8 16v?

2.0 8v?

2.0 16v?

g60?

(obviously not VR6) :(

Thanks in advance guys.

16v & 8v gonna be the best overall...

G60 better than VR6 on a long steady straight run...

VR6 probably better in traffic!

VR6 probably better in traffic!

Wow! That's a big surprise!

And I guess a G60 is gonna be ok, as when cruising it's just an 1.8, right??

Just need to take out a G60 now. Anyone in South Wales, wanna take me for a non-gay spin in the car?? :lol:

I rekon the 2.0 8v is gonna be your best bet for economy.

My vr does low 20s around town in traffic up to 35mpg on a run

What's the best you had on a run jim?

Had 37MPG before.. though I am not sure how much its lying to me :)

Think if I did a steady 70 I could easily get about 430 miles off a tank.

As mentioned before, when the throttle is not well open, the G60 engine has some cunning trickery that makes it totally bypass the charger, and just close up the system to behave like a regular 1.8 8v engine... so steady gentle driving produces pleasing fuel economy results. Hoonery and town traffic does not :(

Best ive seen to date out of my VR is 32mpg, havent driven a long steady journey so not sure what its capable of returning

Best out of the VR I've seen is 38.5mpg, but I was on a long steady run with the engine just ticking over in 5th. More usually sits around 31-32 on a legal(ish) motorway run. Around town about 26-28.

Best I've had was indicated at 38mpg - steady 70mph on the motorway, 23mpg at steady 100mph on motorway.

Overall, general driving average is approx 25-27mpg.

Had 37MPG before.. though I am not sure how much its lying to me :)

Think if I did a steady 70 I could easily get about 430 miles off a tank.

As mentioned before, when the throttle is not well open, the G60 engine has some cunning trickery that makes it totally bypass the charger, and just close up the system to behave like a regular 1.8 8v engine... so steady gentle driving produces pleasing fuel economy results. Hoonery and town traffic does not :(

Thats not bad at all, i thought they were worse then that.

I think the Vr has the advantage if ya driveing along at 70/80ish cause ya gonna be doing like under 3k revs in fifth. Thats my logic anyway :)

I work out my MPG rather than relying on the MFA. I get an average of 33-36mpg. Thats half motorway, half fast A road driving with the occasional blast.

The G60 has reasonably long gearing in 5th too Gareth.. I think 70MPH is about 2800RPM..?

The 2.0 8v is gonna be by far the best. Then the 16v's. Regularly used to get 37+ from my valvers on the motorway (sometimes 40+).

Got 53 out of my G60 once at a very steady 50mph, but it was usually 35+ on the motorway.

VR's best was 37 on a steady run, but normally around 30-33 on the motorway and mid twenties on shorter runs.

The G60 has reasonably long gearing in 5th too Gareth.. I think 70MPH is about 2800RPM..?

Cool, well i imagine the G60 will do better on economy then, i think it would be pritty close though, considerin its a 2.9 it does ok.

Wish I could get the figures you guys are talking about.....must be something wrong with my valver although it runs ok.

steady motorway = 31-32

around town = 22-25

May well be something wrong with your MFA readings... My Valver (2.0l 16v) never indicated anything better than 34mpg, but I got an average of about 450 miles from a 15 gallon tank. The 2.0l 8v will be the best for economy, but by most accounts it's nowhere near as much fun when you use the load pedal :)

Cheers,

Tom

Or even the LOUD pedal. ;)

Anyway, cheap shots aside, this isn't really about MPG, is it?

essee, you drove a VR6. You think you can't have a VR6. Clearly you've not done many sums!!

Purchase cost is a small part of Corrado ownership costs. The insurance rates for most Corrados are high, even the 2.0 8v is group 12 insurance. The G60 is group 17, VR6 grp 18. Running costs are lower for the 4 cylinder N/A cars, but if you fell in love with a VR6 you won't be happy with the 4 cylinder N/A cars.

YOU are the only person who can decide. A car like the Corrado is NOT a monetary decision, no matter which model you choose. if money was really the guiding factor you'd be buying a Golf. (Or even a diesel!)

Or even the LOUD pedal. ;)

Anyway, cheap shots aside, this isn't really about MPG, is it?

essee, you drove a VR6. You think you can't have a VR6. Clearly you've not done many sums!!

Purchase cost is a small part of Corrado ownership costs. The insurance rates for most Corrados are high, even the 2.0 8v is group 12 insurance. The G60 is group 17, VR6 grp 18. Running costs are lower for the 4 cylinder N/A cars, but if you fell in love with a VR6 you won't be happy with the 4 cylinder N/A cars.

2.0 8v is something like group 15 or 16.....IIRC its actually higher up the groups than the more powerful 1.8 16v

tbh if i was looking for a Corrado and MPG was one of my main priorities,as much as the VR6 is reasonably economical given its near 3L engine size............its also an engine that costs a fair bit to put right and unless you get one thats been totally pampered and just had everything replaced recently, then paying a tad more fuel over any of the 4cyl n/a choices is worth looking in to......however in reality probably the best one to go for is the 2.0 8v......or one of the 16 valvers

Well, thanks for all your input guys... Looks like I'll be getting another Golf then! :D

I just don't think I could afford any Corrado at the moment... with insurance, maintainance, petrol, etc... was just curious after my little Storm spin! Thanks again!