Sign in to follow this  
kangaroo

The gritters!

Had to pass a gritter on the way home from work this evening. I felt every chip hit the paintwork as if it were my own body :cry: And now the poor thing is covered in salt.

i hate the gritters! :mad:

i swerve to avoid them,they do actually chip ya paint!

and whats the point in throwing grit next to the curb???

or all over ya car when its parked up???

i had to run and stand in front of the rh cups on the cab earlier,i took the brunt of it :lol:

i hate the gritters!

Yep me too, had my mums car (c needs some work) and she's quite car proud so I hope there are no major scratches on it....

i had to run and stand in front of the rh cups on the cab earlier,i took the brunt of it :lol:

Haha! :lol: would have loved to have seen that :D

Haha! :lol: would have loved to have seen that :D

i think the driver thought i was gonna drag him out the thing :lol:

he sorta sat there for a second covering me in crap :!:

...i swerve to avoid them...

Last winter after losing the back end on a country road in my C a gritter had to swerve to avoid me! I swear he turned the grit on as he passed to get me back :?:

With all due disrespect to my company limo I like to give it a good covering when ever I get the chance I pity the person who buys this off the company when the time comes (mind you it'll only be worth a tenner) :lol:

i hate the gritters but would prefer to wash my car regularly (notthat i do )rather than slide off the road on ice!

I remember getting gritted years ago in a four year old (and pristine) white Astra GTE 16v. The gritter absolutely trashed the side of it by chipping it down to the grey undercoat in over 50 places. Lucky it was nothing special.....fast as, but not special.

There using some non-salt based grit round are way but not sure if it can still chip the paint or not tho...

Well the grit that flew through the window and into my mouth the other night was definitely salty....

Me and my mate where out having a laff in my nail (nail :- a car you dont give a dam about) we thought it would be funny to ar5e a gritter.

We got some strange looks, cudnt think why :lol:

Best thing to do if your going for a front end respray is to get the bumper done as per usual but tell them to mix the softer paint they use for plastics into what they use for the wings and bonnet, I think about 30% is the norm and that will resist chip alot better than the standard hard paint.

The last few winters have took their toll on my paint work, needs a little attention when the weather gts better. I have bought a 'Korando' to use on crappy days for now.

Ta for the paint advice too!

I'm lucky enough to be able to keep C in the garage during wet/snowy/salty/gritty conditions.

Not always, though - sometimes the missus and/or my daughter conspire to leave me with only the C as an option. Its a tough life. I always hose salt off right away afterwards, though, and try and dry car before putting away in garage. On days when the humidity is less than about 80% I open the doors of the garage front and back a bit and let the breeze blow through. (I dont wear an anorak and note down train numbers for nothing , you know.)

Poogoat 205 diesel (14 years old this month) takes all the muck in its stride. I am afraid to say it, but the French got most of it right first time with the 1.8 non-turbo diesel engine and the 205. However, I would not buy one of their current allegedly temperamental models.

Best thing to do if your going for a front end respray is to get the bumper done as per usual but tell them to mix the softer paint they use for plastics into what they use for the wings and bonnet, I think about 30% is the norm and that will resist chip alot better than the standard hard paint.

Defo want the front end repainted.. if not the whole car.. see what happnes!! :roll:

like the sound of softer paint etc... long as it dont chip!

I'm in need of a fron end spray - same probs as you guys wit stones and salt!

They are only supposed to do 30 mph when gritting.

so the coverage is as its supposed to be and so the salt drops to the ground rather being thrown from the vehicle usually @50 mph or so....

Contractors suck at gritting, where as the council up here have the knack

chubbz