Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

All the relays looked pretty good in my Corrado and Golf bar relay 109 and 67 (167) ecu + fuel pump - they were quite burnt on the pins and ran pretty hot so I guess they would of failed sooner or especially been the original.  

These were the best quality ones I could find from Hella and also been bit geeky numbered them like OE. 

relay 109

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hella-Fuel-Pump-Relay-109-Golf-Polo-Beetle-Corrado-Caddy-Transporter-TDi-VR6-1-8/233261501681?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

67 (167) relay 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Genuine-HELLA-Fuel-Pump-Relay-4RP-008-189-151-Top-German-Quality/202989683466?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Decal numbers 10mm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10mm-Self-Adhesive-Vinyl-Numbers-Numerals-5-sets-0-9-Just-Peel-Stick/391162093185?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=660499019404&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Seats out to give the interior a proper clean. New wheels in the post for it, and just realised I don't have a key for the locking wheel nuts....

IMG_20200816_165616.jpg

IMG_20200816_165607.jpg

Changed the fuel supply pipe from the filter as the hard pipe to rubber hose connector was a little rough. Just need the one from tank to filter now and underside complete. 

IMG_20200816_171624.jpg

Fitted some front mudflaps as per CCGB Chris Gaskell of the May 99 Sprinter. Easy really.

Well done to everyone that got to do a bit this weekend 👍

20200816_132128.jpg

Changed the dirty smelly gearbox oil for some clean MT90 and it has made a huge difference.  Cheap and easy to do and well worth a change after 25 years.

3 hours ago, tonedef said:

Just realised that we’ve had the VR6 for twenty years and two days. Happy belated birthday!

Wow, awesome ownership mate

20 hours ago, Cressa said:

Wow, awesome ownership mate

It’s been a love/hate thing, filled with highs and lows!

On 9/13/2020 at 8:34 AM, Cressa said:

Changed the dirty smelly gearbox oil for some clean MT90 and it has made a huge difference.  Cheap and easy to do and well worth a change after 25 years.

That smell of old gearbox oil always gets me - truly awful!

Got her out for a drive, first time in weeks. Up to Malton, va va Voom. Worst but is parking up and leaving her!!!😩

After losing one of the wind deflectors last year, finally got round to putting a new set on yesterday. Was great being able to have window cracked open without the rain off the roof coming pouring in each time I took a corner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Went for a bit of a drive this morning, home, washed and assumed the winter position (hopefully the coming spring will be a bit more normal than the last one was). Just about to declare SORN and writing the winter jobs list!

IMG_3634.jpeg

4 hours ago, tonedef said:

Went for a bit of a drive this morning, home, washed and assumed the winter position (hopefully the coming spring will be a bit more normal than the last one was). Just about to declare SORN and writing the winter jobs list!

IMG_3634.jpeg

Mate that is an impressive winter position 😁

4 hours ago, tonedef said:

IMG_3634.jpeg

how on earth did you manage to get it up that high!?

my VR got the proper wobbles on the trolley jack when i even tried to get it onto mini axle stands lol

1 hour ago, Cressa said:

Mate that is an impressive winter position 😁

Cheers mate, might as well make it easy to get under there and do all those jobs…I need a step up to get under the bonnet!

27 minutes ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

my VR got the proper wobbles on the trolley jack when i even tried to get it onto mini axle stands lol

Carefully is the word! I took a few years out of engineering years ago and worked for a rally team on Mitsubishi Evos, I got used to making it easy to get in there!

I made myself some wooden ramps that get the front off the ground to start with, then side to side, jacking a couple of inches more at a time, keep going up a bit on each stand. Once there are two stands under the front the back goes straight up jacking from one side.

I normally push it up some more yet, another hole on the stands at least, it’s easy from here as I can get the jack in the centre under the crossmember!

I keep looking at my garage and wondering if I’d get planning permission to replace the flat roof with a pitched one…I could put a lift in there then. There’s a guy a few miles from me has one, that’s the proper way to do it.

Just now, tonedef said:

Carefully is the word! I took a few years out of engineering years ago and worked for a rally team on Mitsubishi Evos, I got used to making it easy to get in there!

I made myself some wooden ramps that get the front off the ground to start with, then side to side, jacking a couple of inches more at a time, keep going up a bit on each stand. Once there are two stands under the front the back goes straight up jacking from one side.

I normally push it up some more yet, another hole on the stands at least, it’s easy from here as I can get the jack in the centre under the crossmember!

I keep looking at my garage and wondering if I’d get planning permission to replace the flat roof with a pitched one…I could put a lift in there then. There’s a guy a few miles from me has one, that’s the proper way to do it.

Very impressive TD but I like to go over the top setting with the use of a bit of tube and fitting wink wink- also made  a lifting rack out of tube and fitting and some caster wheels to remove the engine.. 

Black Magic has unfortunately devoured a rot box Aqua Blue to reach immortality the vampire - sorry another one gone but used as a donor because wanted spare of everything possible - car was purchased off a drive for little money.  as it was far to gone. Bit of a bonus it has come with some rare BBs RA but in 7J not 6j which are very hard to come by. perfect for the mk2 . You need spare fogs - lights etc and many other things if your planning on long term ownership as its just getting harder to source.

rad10.png

rad11.png

9 hours ago, Keyo said:

Very impressive TD but I like to go over the top setting with the use of a bit of tube and fitting wink wink- also made  a lifting rack out of tube and fitting and some caster wheels to remove the engine.. 

Black Magic has unfortunately devoured a rot box Aqua Blue to reach immortality the vampire - sorry another one gone but used as a donor because wanted spare of everything possible - car was purchased off a drive for little money.  as it was far to gone. Bit of a bonus it has come with some rare BBs RA but in 7J not 6j which are very hard to come by. perfect for the mk2 . You need spare fogs - lights etc and many other things if your planning on long term ownership as its just getting harder to source.

rad10.png

rad11.png

Scaff stand, now we’re talking, love it!!!

10 hours ago, tonedef said:

Scaff stand, now we’re talking, love it!!!

I do not advice anyone to use scaffolding unless qualified. 

However if you wanted make your own stand you can buy some alloy ladder beams which are the shortest depth (height). 

You then build a frame under the car and jack it up to the top height onto the jack stands - then you jack up each corner of the  beams one at a time to gain a height higher then the stands. You can also put puncheons on the beams and support the car  in any position whilst car is in the air. 

Can  also buy castor wheels which you can put under the uprights if you want to push the car about. 

I placed my tube on the on the floor pan as it was a car for breaking which gave me full access to the subframes and axel  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/173867754586?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D813fa65038884154bab8c340f97e30ab%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D30%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D173867753899%26itm%3D173867754586%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2386202%26algv%3DDefaultOrganic

Edited by Keyo

21 hours ago, g0ldf1ng3r said:

Your bodywork and paint looks good mate is it the original paint. 

6 hours ago, Keyo said:

Your bodywork and paint looks good mate is it the original paint. 

I had a full paint job about five years ago, it wasn’t in bad shape except for a couple of the usual culprits, bottom of the driver’s wing, around the number plate light and some damage where it had been jacked at the front. It’s a decent paint job but not too extreme that I’m scared to drive it, my mate’s just had his Mk4 R32 painted and it’s absolutely stunning…but I wouldn’t even dare wax it!

Edited by tonedef

Didn’t do anything specific other than take her for her MOT. Passed with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On 8/16/2020 at 5:03 PM, Bush said:

Seats out to give the interior a proper clean. New wheels in the post for it, and just realised I don't have a key for the locking wheel nuts....

IMG_20200816_165616.jpg

IMG_20200816_165607.jpg

Got the new wheels on yet ?

After many months in the engine bay it is time to tackle the rear end, last 10 days has resulted in removal of everything under the rear of the car:

Rear beam, brakes & lines, shocks off - all metal work gone for powdercoat; fuel tank, fuel lines and pumps heat sheilding  off.

Now scrubbing down for underseal prior to re-assembly.

Started on halloween which was quite apt given the suprises underneath, fortunatly no major issues with the body which after 31yrs is testiment to the quality.

Photo from along the way:

IMG_20201108_075515.jpg

Edited by Stone0311