Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

bcdd104e-1f53-697b.jpg

ARP bolts came today for gearbox rebuild, new bearings and seals sitting at Stealth. VR6 and g60 gearbox will be dropped off next week :-)

Terrible day today, managed to set my engine bay on fire :(............ Long and short of it is not to leave the oil cap off when going for a drive, because when oil meets the hot manifold it likes to ignite. Thankfully it all happened on my drive so no damage to anything but my ego. Also bled the front brakes and stopped a nasty grating noise when braking! So not all bad :D.

Did nothing on the Corrado today, as I was busy helping a frien rebuilding his house, buuuut it may be Corrado time tomorrow. We'll see.

Ah well, a little bit did take place today, as I got hold of a second hand engine compartment undertray for a Mk. II Golf. I will try to see, if it can be made to fit the Corrado... ?? Anyone tried to do that, and have some hints?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Took both my cars for an MOT. both failed!

Punto 2007 plate

Emissions

Exhaust practically snapped in half on the flexi!

Corrado (most importantly)

Emissions - Passed!

Brakes - Passed

2x front to rear hard lines - Failed (corrosion)

1x Front passenger side ABS to Flexi - Failed (corrosion)

ARB Drop Links - Failed

Advisories:

Headlamp alignment, noticed that the glass fitted to my drivers side was from a left hooker, so was sending the beam pattern the wrong way, will replace the glass from my spares.

Brake discs pitted - not surprising, its been standing for over 3 years :)

Front Subframe bolt that holds the passenger side wishbone was just spinning, wouldnt tigthen up, closer inspection looks like someone has attempted to repair the captive nut but has made a right bodge of it! as it looks like a sealed unit, it will be just be easier and probably safer to replace the sub-frame so now on the hunt for one I can get powder coated etc...

Everything else was spot on... no reason why it shouldnt pass if i just did the drop links, and brake lines, but i really dont want to until ive sorted the sub-frame, and swapped the head light lense over too...

Well, its a bit of a bummer but it was worth the £25 MOT cost to know what is wrong and what i need to fix before I can get it on the road!!

The punto on the other hand... im gonna drive off a cliff !

bcdd104e-a867-564b.jpg

Edited by VR6Pete

replaced pas pump, drive belt and tensioner, thermostat and housing and new O ring. new fluids throughout. repaired bonnet cable and attached to a new release handle. changed number 53 relay on fuse box so now fog lights work as do the lights behind the fog switch. still need to fix sunroof bleed brakes and replace lines.

all good fun :dance:

I've got another massive list of things to do !! :(

Trouble is when you do a few jobs, you think of a few more to do ..........

Trouble is when you do a few jobs, you think of a few more to do ..........

I thought I was finished but it failed the MOT on a few things and noticed oil temps getting to 104... Only drove it 10 mins down the road! Water temp was fine so I'm going replace the oil cooler :)

Stuck a second hand sunroof motor on and now it tilts AND slides like it's supposed to for the first time since I've owned it - just in time for the summer too :) Schweet :)

Stuck a second hand sunroof motor on and now it tilts AND slides like it's supposed to for the first time since I've owned it - just in time for the summer too :) Schweet :)

What Summer?

Washed it for the first time in ages, polished the bonnet and front wings. Tried to stop the handbrake tunnel waggling around, found a little box involved with the alarm (proximity sensor I think) under there too. Having looked at Daves16v bracket it needs to go where this little box currently sits. Further investigation required.

fitted a new belt tensioner so no more annoying belt slip/whistle, and also stripped down some gear shifters for dave.

What Summer?

The one I am hoping we will eventually get :|

Pulled the handbrake off. Half of me feels like the hulk, the rest of me feels sad. Actually I just feel 100% sad.

German plates and holders on , bonnet bra on , rear wiper removed satis ! Just sunroof mech to fix and uprated loom to fit !

Dropped off the C at the dealership for it's MOT and jumped into my girlfriends new ride...a lovely mkiv Toyota Supra. Got the call a few hours later...failed. Drivers side CV boot and handbrake efficiency fail on rear passenger side. Rear pads also 80% worn so they're gonna change them but not a fail. Felt aggrieved for a bit but then remembered that it's 20 years old this year so can't really complain. That silky smooth Supra autobox made me feel better.

Took punto for MOT, failed again! looks like the CAT is knackered too.

so thats a new exhaust, upstream lambda and a CAT :) great eh? my corrado needs less work than the 5 year old car to get her through the MOT!

Ummed and arrred over what to do to get my catless exhaust through the MOT. Considered just fitting the original cat that was supplied with the car but not attached. But it meant cutting the current exhaust (nearly new Milltek) and so I couldn't use the decat pipe again in the future. More importantly I have no idea what condition the original cat is in so it may still not pass emissions.

So said fek it and just ordered a new high flow milltek cat. Don't tell the wife lol :D I'm hoping it was actually in stock as they don't seem to make them now. Let's see if it arrives.

I'm collecting partially completed jobs and really need to get around to finishing some of them. Time is the limiting factor with two kids, working 15 hours a day including the commute, and trying to restore a house.

All three engine mounts are next... nearly one year after I bought them lol.

Edited by Portent

Gave her a proper blast from home to Stealth following a Seat Leon Cupra.

It was really funny, as originally he had been following me, my car was not up to temperature, so i was doing 50 - 55mph.

Just as he overtook me, mine got to temperature, oh what a blast, serioulsy good.

Got acknowledged as I turned off as well.

I love that road and especially that I live just off it.

And tomorrow off to BJV for wheels to be refurbished, which annoyingly are only really going in to be refurbished on the inner as I keep losing air from my tyres. Hardly any marks on the outer - not bad for a girl heh !!!!

So looking forward to Brooklands in a couple of weeks, need to get out on the road more !!!

MOT passed first time with only 1 advisory for small oil leak. Result! Has never got through first time before. Many thanks to The Phirm for pre-MOT checkup. All set for Brooklands on Sunday.