Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Will drive for a while longer to see what I think but think at the moment all is pretty good. what sort of job are the rear beam bushes to do?

Was 85 euro inc delivery - so pretty good and looks identical to the old stuff - but not rotten.. Has peel off sticky back too so hopefully not too challenging. Think I got he last one but he did say for people to PM him so maybe he is thinking of doing some more

Will drive for a while longer to see what I think but think at the moment all is pretty good. what sort of job are the rear beam bushes to do?

tidy :)

I have to admit I did not do the rear beam bushes myself. for jobs I don't have enough knowledge or experience for, or the tools, I give it to my family mechanic who I have used since I was 17

I think they can be a bugger though. however IIRC the bitch of the job was the brank balance valve which refused to budge & had to be cut out

Was 85 euro inc delivery - so pretty good and looks identical to the old stuff - but not rotten.. Has peel off sticky back too so hopefully not too challenging. Think I got he last one but he did say for people to PM him so maybe he is thinking of doing some more

OK cool thanks fella

I might offer the liner I have up to the bonnet & see what it looks like - though I liked the couple ive seen done on here

I recall the person who did they group buy saying that it has advantages over OEM type stuff as it will not absorb any oil or grease etc

Yeah not sure what mine had absorbed it was ming! - Hopefully as the car is not on the road everyday and there is not too much oil or grease flying round under the bonnet it will last at least another 10 years if not more

Yeah not sure what mine had absorbed it was ming! - Hopefully as the car is not on the road everyday and there is not too much oil or grease flying round under the bonnet it will last at least another 10 years if not more

I can imagine. I think it is the oil / grease etc getting into it that makes it deteriorate

Got it MOT'd with only one advisory (Battery Tray) and even got a comment on how good the paint looked from the tester

What i did (or rather the garage did) to my Corrado yesterday........ Supply and fit - worn front brake discs and pads, new steering rack ends, replace gaitors, replace roll bar link arms, supply and fit 2 new rear shock absorbers. Only £504.00. Bargain!! Still, at least come MOT time in early December, it should fly through it!! :)

spent the afternoon on sunday fitting the KUR2Y loom to the valver & changed to nice new xenon max bulbs

just need to align the lights so they actually illuminate the road in front now lol

Thanks I do like it when its all clean and shiny - makes it all worth while

Suspension - im really happy - OK is a bit firmer than standard but you only really feel that when driving slow down a crap road and only time its bad is if there are any big pot holes when it can be a bit crashy but in all other ways I love it - so much better handling (like being stuck to rails) and for sure it looks so much better than standard - will never understand why VW thought the 4x4 height was acceptable! lol!

Sounds like you've been busy on Emmas car?!

how is the new suspension treating you m8?

Replaced my 2 number plate lights for brighter led ones (one of the originals had blown, so just replaced both!)

Replaced my front door speakers with Infinity Kappa 52.9i ones. Straight swap with no modifications and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the sound quality!

All done on my driveway this evening, with just a mains floodlight!

Cleaned drivers side door shut. Too wet and dirty to go for a drive now, So might be car off the road now until it's warm and dry again

Getting ready for its MOT tomorrow.

Checked all over the car. Replaced a tyre that showed signs of cracking due to lack of use with a near new rainsport supplied from the forum.

Found a few things.

Water supply tube to nearside windscreen washer split (replaced)

Wiper blades dragging.

Brakes a bit tight (Drove the car about for 30 mins or so gently working the brakes until they freed up perfectly)

Blew the fog light fuse a few times :( .

Inspected all the wiring and could find no fault in either front/rear fog light switches or main light switch. Fuse 10 kept popping. So removed the fog lights and again found no fault in the wiring. So decided to disconnect both front FOGS for the time being. All taped up sound and secure. Put a 10amp fuse in (no 15's left in the garage) just to test and had no issues. Rear FOG lights up fine. So need to trace the engine wiring and replace the front elements just in case there is a fault there. Might work out the in rush current to each fog light and put an inline fuse in there so that blows identifying the faulty lamp in the future.

So off to halfords tonight with trade card in hand to get some additional fuses, wiper blades and screen wash.

Tomorrows plan is to wash and clean out the car in the morning. Replace all the wiper blades and head for the MOT in the afternoon.

Washed. Polished. Waxed. Plastic trim oiled.

I'll drive it less over winter and it will mostly be in the garage. But keeping a nice layer of wax will help protect it when I do use it.

Two weeks after the complete f@ck up of my tappet and injector swap, finally went back to look at the car today after having someone far more knowledgeable than me with engine related stuff reinstall the cams. I'd also acquired the bolts, sealant, etc I needed to finish the job.

I thought it would be plain sailing, but of course it wasn't - somehow thing I've managed to deform the upper or lower timing chain cover on the car during removal, now meaning I can't just reassemble it. Shut the garage again in disgust and will come back to it again next weekend maybe, assuming I haven't just set fire to the thing.

After it's back together this last time, I'm not working on it myself any more - there's just too much anguish, frustration and flat out stress. It might be time to take up a gentler pastime - such as gardening, or crocheting!

Two weeks after the complete f@ck up of my tappet and injector swap, finally went back to look at the car today after having someone far more knowledgeable than me with engine related stuff reinstall the cams. I'd also acquired the bolts, sealant, etc I needed to finish the job.

I thought it would be plain sailing, but of course it wasn't - somehow thing I've managed to deform the upper or lower timing chain cover on the car during removal, now meaning I can't just reassemble it. Shut the garage again in disgust and will come back to it again next weekend maybe, assuming I haven't just set fire to the thing.

After it's back together this last time, I'm not working on it myself any more - there's just too much anguish, frustration and flat out stress. It might be time to take up a gentler pastime - such as gardening, or crocheting!

sorry to hear more woes Jim :(

though I will have a go at most jobs personally I believe there are some which are best left to the pro's with experience. it may pain the wallet but often results cheaper in the end

hopefully you can regain your love for it once you have had your first few trips out in it after its back up & running m8

I think that's the most salient point - like I set out to do this with the objective of saving some money, but it has ultimately cost me so much more in terms of the snapped cams, the cost of buying additional tools, and now whatever work I'm going to have to undertake to fix the issue with the cover plate not fitting. If I'd deformed the lower cover plate somehow then that's basically a gearbox off job to replace... if it comes to that, it's definitely going elsewhere to get it done.

I think a lot of us feel like this Jim . The frustration drives you mad . I guess it goes with owning an old car . Another thing the frustrates me is , you work your nuts off , in my case six days a week , the weekends being cash work , to pay for the bits you need to be replaced . Leaving no time to do the jobs ! . I'm trying to leave my car alone now , till I find the time to do the work I need to do . I'm not squeezing in 10 minuets in here an there anymore . It's just not worth it .

These jobs are great when they come off and can be very satisfying but they do have the potential to bite you in the arse.

Hope you get it sorted without too much hassle Jim.

I think that's the most salient point - like I set out to do this with the objective of saving some money, but it has ultimately cost me so much more in terms of the snapped cams, the cost of buying additional tools, and now whatever work I'm going to have to undertake to fix the issue with the cover plate not fitting. If I'd deformed the lower cover plate somehow then that's basically a gearbox off job to replace... if it comes to that, it's definitely going elsewhere to get it done.

I feel your pain fella.

I recall similar when my head work / upgrades etc were all been done & by the professionals & I was paying very good money for it

it was very painful experience, both in terms of financially & emotionally, with one persons poor workmanship & then chasing round weakest links of ailing parts due to renewing so many others

fortunately Vince sorted his staff issue & then personally made sure he produced the result we both originally wanted

it was a fair few months of being unhappy & a much inflated total cost compared to original budgets but I can reassure you that once you have the desired result & you're out on the road in it the wide smile will return within moments :D

Never got back to this.

Car passed no problems at all. Grand total of 98 miles covered since last years MOT. However, already covered 80 in the past 3 days. Aiming to get a 1000 on it this year.

Had a good look underneath and not a mark at the minute and still super clean apart from the tank straps and a couple of light surface markings on the rear beam. So plans to tidy those up over the next few months. Along with a wet sand and polish.

Still got loads to put on the car before next summer so that I can really enjoy it.

Getting ready for its MOT tomorrow.

Checked all over the car. Replaced a tyre that showed signs of cracking due to lack of use with a near new rainsport supplied from the forum.

Found a few things.

Water supply tube to nearside windscreen washer split (replaced)

Wiper blades dragging.

Brakes a bit tight (Drove the car about for 30 mins or so gently working the brakes until they freed up perfectly)

Blew the fog light fuse a few times :( .

Inspected all the wiring and could find no fault in either front/rear fog light switches or main light switch. Fuse 10 kept popping. So removed the fog lights and again found no fault in the wiring. So decided to disconnect both front FOGS for the time being. All taped up sound and secure. Put a 10amp fuse in (no 15's left in the garage) just to test and had no issues. Rear FOG lights up fine. So need to trace the engine wiring and replace the front elements just in case there is a fault there. Might work out the in rush current to each fog light and put an inline fuse in there so that blows identifying the faulty lamp in the future.

So off to halfords tonight with trade card in hand to get some additional fuses, wiper blades and screen wash.

Tomorrows plan is to wash and clean out the car in the morning. Replace all the wiper blades and head for the MOT in the afternoon.

I feel your pain Jim. I hate it when things like this happen. I am by no means a car mechanic (Aero Gas Turbine Engineer)and will attempt anything and will pretty much get it right regardless of whats in front of me. However, I have learned over the years that even with the skills and knowledge regardless of level, some things are best left to the professionals (even then it doesn't go right). The simple things like general service items are fine, but when it comes to major rework now I would rather not take 30 hours of my own time to do something that can be done in 8 with the right tools and workshop to carry out the task.

We all are guilty of trying to save a bit of money and budgets are always limited. But we live and learn, move on and always come back for more lol.