Jim

The "what I did to my Corrado today" thread...

Replaced both front windows as they were badly scratched after finally tracking down some decent condition ones locally, also fitted a set of standard rear lights with the orange indicators as it's more retro which is the route the exterior of the car is now going in...

Washed the car then finally got round to fitting the bonnet foam I've also had for about 18 months!

I also fitted the replacement boot popper (again that I've had for about 18 months) which doesn't have a scuff to the paint on the edge, and original didn't work with the key anyway, so re-tumbled the lock and works perfectly now.

Also realised that when opening with the key from the passenger side, it doesn't activate the central locking. :rolleyes:

2 steps forward..........

Wiped the car over ready for the MOT, going over the brake lines that were rusty on the last one! Drove her in the rain which is the first time in ages! Got the MOT with the same advisories.

Also realised that when opening with the key from the passenger side, it doesn't activate the central locking. :rolleyes:

2 steps forward..........

Is it supposed to? It doesn't on the Mk2 Golf. Don't know about the Corrado as I always use the alarm fob.

Treated it to a new set of Bosch Wiper Blades from ECP, filled it with Tesco 99 Octane ready for next weekends AGM and then went for a drive.

Came back with a smile on my face, so washed it as well whilst the weather is good!!

Ian.

Edited by GlosterOx

Wheels 'trued', v2s slapped on, full alignment with vinny (old camber -2.5deg :| ) - now I understand the high praise re the handling. Wow. Got Vince to cart out his vagcom whilst I was there as the C had been feeling a little flat - nadgered camshaft sensor. Replaced that today and what a difference. Happy boy and a productive few weeks with various other tweaks n'all. Next - brakes... and biguns.

Got it MOT'd with just the "usual" advisory for a chip in the windscreen, so all sorted for another 12 months. Emissions results were:

Fast Idle - CO @ 0.08%, HC @ 14 PPM and Lambda @ 1.00

Natural Idle - CO @ 0.03%

Seem good for an engine with 227K+ on it, so happy!

Ian.

Nice one Ian, seems they're all starting to come out to play now the weather is starting to get better!

Fitted the new alloys for summer. Wonder what the chances of keeping these clean are, crap pic on phone though

Broke it properly :( am still in shock and not reached the mourning phase yet. But new engine has done something. I suspect a valve has broke off and gone into the cylinder. Or a con rod snapped. Not sure but sounds screwed and i had to drive it about 15miles home like that.

Broke it properly :( am still in shock and not reached the mourning phase yet. But new engine has done something. I suspect a valve has broke off and gone into the cylinder. Or a con rod snapped. Not sure but sounds screwed and i had to drive it about 15miles home like that.

That's terrible news Jim! Hope you find its not as bad as you fear

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Attempted to fit some HID headlights, but they didn't want to work properly... If you unplugged the loom, and connected it again with the switch on they worked (on one side), the other size just buzzed at me and everytime you switched them off and back on again, they wouldn't come on without repeating the unplugging/re-connecting process.

On a better note, if anyone is looking for some genuinely amazing (I rarely use that word) side light bulbs, OSRAM LED 6000k ones are just that! £15 for two small bulbs seems steep, but they're worth every penny. Come with a 5 year guarantee, and are so good they put my halogen headlights to shame in terms of light output! Will be looking into some LED headlight bulbs next I think as the HID's didn't want to work no matter what I did (Checked fuses, wiring etc and have fitted many kits in the past).

Surely not. That's terrible mate. Hope it's not as serious as that.

Only got as far as taking the spark plugs out. They aren't damaged but cylinder one has a sort of rusty coloured dust on it, almost red looking.

Definitely seemed to be running on not all 6 cylinders and big loss of power. Noise was so bad i can only assume something really bad. Quite sure its an engine out and rebuild sort of bad. World be nice if its only head damage and the pistons are all ok. Felt like a valve going to me

Only got as far as taking the spark plugs out. They aren't damaged but cylinder one has a sort of rusty coloured dust on it, almost red looking.

Definitely seemed to be running on not all 6 cylinders and big loss of power. Noise was so bad i can only assume something really bad. Quite sure its an engine out and rebuild sort of bad. World be nice if its only head damage and the pistons are all ok. Felt like a valve going to me

Have you got a compression tester?

Nah. Was about to buy one but I'm sure from the noises it's already a head off job. Will see if the dashcam picked anything up.

Sounds bad but take your time Jim. With the sparks out what can you hear if you turn it over manually? Bearing shells OK? Coolant circuit pressurising OK with no leaks?

Yeah coolant seems all ok. Starts and runs, but sounds like something hitting something inside the engine. Was a noise at the time that sounded like bits of metal falling off the car, which i think might have been something going down the exhaust.

Yeah coolant seems all ok. Starts and runs, but sounds like something hitting something inside the engine. Was a noise at the time that sounded like bits of metal falling off the car, which i think might have been something going down the exhaust.

If it still has a cat fitted not much will get past it, could it be the cat itself broken up?

Ah crap. Doesn't sound good. I have a compression tester should you need one.

Bad times.

Thanks for the offer mate, but i think it terminal tbh. Going to quickly build an engine up from all the other spares i have (just so i can keep driving it this summer) and then probably get Stealth to fix this one. It was a new 2.8 block so hoping if the bottom end is damaged i can always get it bored to 2.9

Passed the MoT on friday, took it for a nice 150 mile drive on saturday afternoon to stretch it's legs a bit, got in it sunday morning and met with a horrible smell of petrol and smoke from the bonnet!

Turns out the fuel feed line to the fuel rail has sprung a leak.

Cue new pipe and clamps and change the pipes out tonight and then further shake down runs before I go back to Nurburgring on Sunday morning!

Fingers crossed.

Started to take engine apart, got rocker cover off and couldn't see anything wrong, cams looked ok and the timing chain still tight, didn't take cams out so couldn't really see if the valves were still there.

Then took sump off, seems to have quite a bit of metal flakes in there. Oil seemed very gloopy as well.

20160412_200010.jpg

20160412_195943.jpg

Looked up into the bottom end from underneath and couldn't see anything wrong, but i'm not 100% sure what i'm looking for. Think i'll take the head off next.

Ah man. Only just seen this most recent turn of events - you put so much bloody work into that rebuild. I'm really sorry to hear about this :( Keep us posted - really curious to know what's happened :(

What were the circumstances leading up to the incident and what was the noise that was occurring?