Jim

The definitive "what exhaust?" discussion thread!

On a differnet note, and I dont quite know how to explain this, but a few months ago, i saw a kid on a bmx. He had a bottle strapped to it behind the pedals, and a spoon above that, which was triggered every full rotation of the back wheel to hit the bottle top.

Thus, when he picked up speed, it sounded like an exhaust.

How sad.

How cool! 8) :lol:

You lot have proberly already answered this?

I've searched though the furom and found out that / its been mentioned about having the oem manifold polished?

Is This right if so what gains do u get ?

Hello chaps,

I have got a G-werks de-cat and stainless cat back system, had it fitted before I collected my G60 (Walesys old yellow one), sound and quality is excellent. Cant comment on power unfortunately, as I have only driven car with it fitted, nice bit of kit though, even at 120 leptons on the M5 the noise it subtle, but you know it means business :wink:

Simon.

mbaker8v, got the same backbox on mine. Looks good, and sounds excellent. Was an absolute pig to fit though! Stealth took ages with it, and even then it was still knocking on the axle. Sorted it with some rad hose tiewrapped to the axle.

Hi, I'm new here, as you can see from my postcount, but I was wondering about the custom S/S exhaust expanding when being run for a period of time. I was going to mount a Supersprint manifold on my '90 G60 and custom make the rest of the system with cat, as I can't drive without that in Denmark, and a single silencer before the backbox. Much like to OEM system, but still with a lot higher flow..

But I'm not looking for extreme roar and unbearable soundlevels as I'm going to do quite a bit of freewaydriving too.

Wont this solution be good enough if I just keep the Ø below or precicely 2.5"?

Hope you guys can help me out..

Adam

Ok....have read all the posts but still not 100%.

Now I've sold the golf I want to look into getting an exhaust for the G60.

Thing is, I want it to sound standard, like its not got an aftermarket exhaust at all, when driving around town or on the motorway. Ideally a stock looking oval tailpipe too. Needs to be CAT back to (well, CAT replacement pipe back)

I was thinking miltek but going on this thread I'm not so sure. I had a jetex on the golf and really liked that.

From this thread its seems to be

1) Magnex (Which to be honest I've never liked, the golf came with one and was drony and loud, and the fit was crap) or ...

2) Supersprint.

3) G-werks exhaust

Or OE, but can you still get them, and are they very expensive?

I don't want to spend a load of cash and realise its no better. It needs to be subtle and stock sounding, so is stock best?

Fitting's not an issue as I'll do it myself!

:)

just fitted a Milltek de cat and a middle a rear on my g60, fits like a glove and sounds good no more noise at motorway speeds then the OE (well till you get in the big number anyway) and sounds just right on pull away

What is the diameter of the standard G60 golf exhaust...?

I'm currently running a 50mm exhaust from my old 1.6 setup and just want to find weather that's alright or if you recommend i change to something else...?

Thanks

I slid under my car last night, I was intending to fit the oval piped back box off my spare car, as my twin DTM box scrapes the ground and is a bit too noisy on the Mway, had a quick look at the fitting, then got under the spare, only to notice that my road car has a different exhaust, no big siliencer under the rear seats, I'd genuinely not noticed this in 2 years, despite the large amount of time i'd been lying under it, I suppose i'd never seen a 'proper exhaust' before. Just out of interest, do the manufacturers normally stamp their names on the pipes? I wouldn't mind finding out what make it is, I suppose they (straight through pipes) are/were readily available, and I think i'll remove it and refit it to stop the banging under the passenger seat.

Any tips would be great!

Cheers.

What is the diameter of the standard G60 golf exhaust...?

I'm currently running a 50mm exhaust from my old 1.6 setup and just want to find weather that's alright or if you recommend i change to something else...?

Thanks

Anyone... :wink:

Cheers thanks.

I've got a 1800 8v G60 from a Corrado and have transplanted it into my golf mkII.

The head has been ported, it has a cone filter and a front mount intercooler form a Merc ML something.

Currently I have my old golf exhaust, which is a 4-1 branch & 50mm exhaust.

So would you recommend going bigger like 58mm, or leave it at 50mm until I get more mods done...?

Thanks

Just had a Millteck cat back system put on. Gotta say that i am not liking it too much.

My original had a great deap growl as it went past 3.5k and sounded glorious up and onwards. Under that i couldnt really hear it. I cant tell you how much i miss the 'grind' at 3.5 - 4k !!!!!!

Now, I can hear the low burble of the Millteck all the time. Some my like it, and I am hoping it will loose some boomyness after a couple of thousand miles / some cokeing up. If not, I may change back to an original at some point.

Im approaching the time for my original exhaust to go and reckon ill have the same dilema as most in that i want it to sound original and look subtle.

When i was at the Leeds VW festival OSV flashed up his Silver Rado so i could hear his exhaust and it sounded lovely, more of a purr than a growl. I believe it was a janspeed, anyone else using one of these??

I think OSV has a Supersprint but not 100% sure

Janspeed is really really really bad - sorry

I've just been boring and put a Magnex on with an oval pipe but it's great quality

I'm looking to put a new exhaust on my VR (OE is still one at the minute with all the ends of the silencers hanging down!), and I think I'm down to three.

Supersprint, Jetex or Magnex?

Now I have had some bad experience with Supersprint but this was years ago on a Mk1 Golf GTI which was eventually cured by putting it in the bin and fitting a Jetex.

Mk1s have the same kind of problems with exhaust as the C (If they don't fit right they knock on the rear beam!).

Reading this thread quite a lot of people go for Magnex, but some find them a bit noisy.

So do I just go for Jetex again. Has anybody got one on here?

All Corrados are 2.25" bore exhaust standard.

SuperSprint, absolutely, no question - the best.

The Milltek Sport Cat is quality too. Most surprised to discover 12psi of charger boost didn't phase it in the slightest, still sent the CO2 catcher flying across the workshop as it it were decatted. Awesome.

Milltek systems - for the VR - though. Hmmm. Not that great.

SuperSprint and Magnex are the only exhausts for the VR that meet my exacting standards.....oh and that Milltek sport cat.

It's about the same as standard.

That big suitcase middle box before the rear axle contains baffles, which is how you get a quiet exhaust. The Sprint uses no baffles and matches VAG's refinement - which is why I like the Sprint so much.

You should hear a Sprint with a VR6 turbo - my god!!! One of the best sounds on the planet! Beefy, bassy at idle, stock quiet from 3000 on.

Mmmm, I guess the only real way to find out is to try one.

I'm assuming that the front sections are steel then, and only the rear box is ss?

What's the best place to get one and how much am I looking at approx?

I think I might be getting the definitive exhaust custom built onto my car by non-other than Ian Birch (Founder of Dubsport) and John Glover (Founder of Awesome). Was going to go to blueflame until I spoke to Darren at the weekend about my new SS Manifold from G-Werks who told me Ian & John had just setup a new business called pipewerx a-stones-throw-away from where I lived. So if you live anywhere near the nothwest I'd suggest you would stuggle to do better than getting these guys to make you an exhaust.