Sign in to follow this  
gradeAfailure

Do you get depressed...

...when friends take the p1ss about the amount of time/money you spend on your car?

I have a lot of good friends who just don't understand about the dub scene, and who do have a tendency to laugh at me behind my back about it 'cause they think it's sad that I spend time on the forum, and get excited when I managed to do my interior illumination colour change and stuff...

I know they're only joking and that, but it does really tend to get me down when people that I count as my friends think that something I care deeply about is just a bit of a joke... :(

Anyone else get this?

yep, work people especially, get ripped constantly at work and it is the stuff behind your back that hurts the most:( just do my best to ignore it

yuo they think im very sad all of my mates drive standard chavvy cars (new astras etc) or ride bike which i also do they think im very sad they laugh but i really dont care my car always smokes them its even faster than some of their bikes!! i take great pleasure in getting lifts in their cars and critisising them! also i always say i cant drive into town as my car is irreplaceable and theirs are ten a penny! who cares what they say its the passion of everyone on this forum that keeps me going and keeps me so damn keen!

I dont get depressed about it, but everyone at work knows that whenever take a day off, it's because I've gotta do something with the car :lol:

They think I'm mad :nuts: because I park carefully, so as not to scuff the alloys

yep, i get it all the time. bores me to be honest, people take the mick mainly due to the money spent vs money back argument.

Quote such as "pah! i would cry if i spent £400 on an mot, cant be bothered with old cars with bills like that every year".

F.c.ing muppets, most of them drive nearly new tin cans that they change every year. What they seem to miss is the fact that they prob loose at least £2000 a year in depreciation, that one hell of an mot argument.DOH !!

That one allways makes me laugh! I doubt my C will ever depreciate any further now from the 4k i paid for it, most of the money spent is to highten my enjoyment anyway. Better than spending £400 a month on boose 4 times a week in the same pub like half my mates do, how boring is that!

Joe, sweet photies bud, car looks absolutely stunning!

Yep, i never park side by side for door fears, allways end on end, which im regretting having had my bumper cracked and finding out the rear is £400 plus paint etc!!

For me, it's not the money thing (£2.5k on a Passat and rising?!), and the people at work I couldn't give a toss about - it's the ones who genuinely are my really good friends who, rather than say "that's cool, I don't get why you do it, but fair play to you for doing something you love", will actually call you sad behind your back...

Now pass the dried frog pills, bursar.

BUUUURSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! [/Ridcully] :lol:

my sentances seem to start 'well on the forum last night..'

or 'someone on the forum..'

I know i get stick for it and people won't understand, but i don't get how one of my best mates has a minter of a 16v and has never posted on here.

different strokes i guess.

man i hate the silly tw**s in saxo's or nova's saying yea the rado is shit etc.....then they say "whats so good about it" i literally get lost for words because i dont know where to start, it extremely fu**s me off and getsd me down.

i dont care, i love corrado's and thats it

For me, it's not the money thing (£2.5k on a Passat and rising?!), and the people at work I couldn't give a toss about - it's the ones who genuinely are my really good friends who, rather than say "that's cool, I don't get why you do it, but fair play to you for doing something you love", will actually call you sad behind your back...

Now pass the dried frog pills, bursar.

BUUUURSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR! [/Ridcully] :lol:

WANNA BICCIT WANNA BICCIT! Ahem... ;)

edit - Best Pratchett quote ever:

One of the [...] former masters had made a tick tock man, all levers and gearwheels and cranks and clockwork. Instead of a brain, it had a long tape punched with holes. Instead of a heart, it had a big spring. Provided everything in the kitchen was very carefully positioned, the thing could sweep the floor and make a passable cup of tea. If everything wasn't carefully positioned, or if the ticking, clicking thing hit an unexpected bump, then it'd strip the plaster off the walls and make a furious cup of cat. Then his master had conceived the idea of making the thing live, so that it could punch its own tapes and wind its own spring.

Back O/T... :roll:

Know what you mean, I just cast off their pessamistic ramblings. None of them drive VW's, obviously don't know what their on about. Carefree, dealer waranteed motoring? Pah.

One of my mates in particular winds me up about spending so much time on 'the forum' and about how anal I can be about my Corrado, but its all in jest really! :)

When he's in a more sensible mood, he admits that he'd love to have one, but doesn't want the hassle of an older car. He's got a Fiesta ST.

...when friends take the p1ss about the amount of time/money you spend on your car?

I have a lot of good friends who just don't understand about the dub scene, and who do have a tendency to laugh at me behind my back about it 'cause they think it's sad that I spend time on the forum, and get excited when I managed to do my interior illumination colour change and stuff...

I know they're only joking and that, but it does really tend to get me down when people that I count as my friends think that something I care deeply about is just a bit of a joke... :(

Anyone else get this?

At the end of the day, its horses for courses. People have different interests and hobbies, and I guess some of those people are so narrow minded that they can't appreciate people are just different and like different things.

I've learned to take the attitude "I don't give a $hit" - and quite frankly I don't! If it was some obscure freaky interest then i'd understand.. but when there are huge international shows, countless magazines, and companies dedicated to this sort of thing maybe its time your 'friends' realised that the scene is not really something to laugh at?

alot of my mates automatically label me as 'a bit of a boy racer' because i've modified my car which pi**es me right off, theres a world of difference between being an enthusiast and a boy racer. I cant say i've experienced much name calling behind my back (i guess i wouldnt know?) but i've had the usual comments like "why not just buy a new civic/focus/astra then it wouldnt need all that money spent on it".

theres a world of difference between being an enthusiast and a boy racer.

best quote ever!!!

like when people who dont know what a corrado is and see mine they say" is it a boy-racer?" i sorta go ,"no, not really" when i really know that it isnt!

Well I'm a geek and I came to terms with it ages ago! I was a Saxo geek when I had my VTR and I'm a Corrado geek now. Rather spend money on my car than on fancy shoes and overpriced beer at packed chain-pubs on a Friday night.

Well I'm a geek and I came to terms with it ages ago! I was a Saxo geek when I had my VTR and I'm a Corrado geek now. Rather spend money on my car than on fancy shoes and overpriced beer at packed chain-pubs on a Friday night.

Amen!

Incidentally I own two pipes and I'm going to Lingfield Park at the weekend to the races. How geeky is that! And I like ale and hate lager. :drinking:

The thing that depresses me is the "you've spent how much trying to get your C to work and it still doesn't :shock: !!!???!!!"

I don't get any stick for modding it though - oh yeah thats right I've not had it in my possesion long enough to do any of that... on a more serious note - my freinds always supported me with my Golf and I don't think any of them have a problem with my C... however I'm not one to go into details with non-like minded people. I just let them admire my car and don't bother sharing the specifics!

Next hurdle will be getting the C back and the new g/f realising that in fact she's my other 'third' ;)

certain friends of mine just totally dont understand, nor can they see the point of what I am doing with my car. Its even been referred to as a pile of shyte, which I supposed from an outside point of view it does look far off. But it always makes me laugh when they tell me it must have cost me a fortune and they are driving around in new cars that are depreciating faster than they could say 'My god I've lost a fortune'

yes its costing me a bit of money, but its no more than the money that I would lose in depreciation on a new car, and at least I get to spend my money on cool bits, it doesnt just evapourate.

man i hate the silly tw**s in saxo's or nova's saying yea the rado is **** etc.....then they say "whats so good about it" i literally get lost for words because i dont know where to start, it extremely fu**s me off and getsd me down.

i dont care, i love corrado's and thats it

That's because children don't like it when someone's different - it's the playground mentality.

Give it a few years, you'll earn the respect in retrospect. Retrospect Respect - I like that one :)

You drive a modern classic - they drive tarted up shopping cars, it's as simple as that. Your car was designed from the outset for the driving experience, theirs was designed for fitting into supermarket spaces and a few bags of shopping in the boot.

Luckily most of my mates are into cars or bikes, so they understand and even the girls love my C, although a few months ago one suddenly anounced "This car's quite fast isn't it" :? I answered, well yeah, thats because of all the work I have done on it. The best comment again from a young lady was "This car's well fit innit" and before you take the pi$5 she is not a chav. I do get a bit of stick because I'm always working on my C, to them there is nothing wrong with it and I'm just tinkering.

I am just as bad I suppose, I just don't get football, tennis, cricket etc particullarly just watching it on TV. So when there is a big match on I take the pi$5 out of my mates for watching a load of men in shorts running around a field.

I don't get much stick off my mates. Well, apart from the odd "we were having a sweepstake on whose car would fall to bits first, yours or Dave's, haha!" - Dave drives a '93 VR6, we've both had them years (had mine 6.5 years, he's probably had his around 8 ) and neither of us has really wanted to "upgrade" because neither of us has yet found anything affordable that we lust after in the same way.

Some people think anything over 6 years old is just waiting to be pushed into a scrapyard... :roll: