Sign in to follow this  
Dutch24V

Corrado ownership - a shocking experience

...whenever I or my pasenger exits the VR we always get a sharp electric/static shock when grabbing the door to close it?

Is this a normal C quirk as I seem to rememeber it always being that way, at least on mine!?

Dutch

You'll need a door handle repair kit then......................oh well it was worth a try :lol: :lol:

:shock: I used to have this problem, and what I started doing was opening the door and then before shuffling out, touch and hold part of the painted section of the door. Keep hold until you're fully out of the car and then relax.

Hey presto..! Not such a shocker anymore. :D

i used to get it,got so bad sometimes i had to close the door with my foot,but since i put leather seats in its been ok

this happens on my car...only on the passenger side so its never bothered me untill recently (( my g.f now drives it )).....is there no remedy?...

You lot must be pent up then as it's never happened to me :lol: Have you got leather Dutch as what Dazzy said is true? Cloth seats can cause static build ups as you slide around on them in your shell suit 8)

I think you need to purchase some of those rather sexy rubber anti-stat straps that dangle from the rear of the car :D

No leather, just the late black cloth with blue specks in.

My girlfriend has complained about it for over 3 years now but it's presently started shocking me quite sharply so now want to try and find a fix 8)

Guess I'm going to have to dump the shell suit then :oops:

lol Kev, think I'd rather get shocked every time than fit those!! (...or follow a new exit routine as described above)

Cheers,

Dutch

I always get shocks off my car when I have new shoes... once they've been nicely bedded in for a while, then it seems to stop.

Could be that the door handle isn't earthing or something tho :?

I don't know if it was related but I used to get the same problem with my MK3 Golf and replaced the earth strap on the bonnet and never had the problem again. I also stopped wearing shell suits at the same time so could have been that also :oops:

Well, I was thinking that maybe it could be down to a dodgy earth contact or something?

I will check the bonnet earth strap and the earthing plate below the back of the manifold when I get around to replacing it with the new one...

Dinkus, door handle is plastic? :wink: ...and the shock only comes from the metal surfaces of the door - and my shoes are not new!!

Dutch

This happens to me sometimes also, so i just let the girlfriend get out of the car first so she gets the shock then i can get out shock free!!! lol...

Although the previous owner said he has just replaced the earth strap before he sold it to me and it looks like solid contacts too so i ruled that out.

Im putting it down to a build up of static off seats or whatever, ( i havent got leather), so i just push the door closed by touching the window.

I always make sure to grap the rubbery bit around the top of the window when getting out of the car to stop myself getting shocked.

touch the bottom of your shoes before you get out, usually works!

Static shocks seemed to be talked about a lot more in the 1970s when 100% nylon panties/underpants were in vogue.

Try M&S 100% cotton - less sexy, but not so prone to get you charged up. :wink:

...just checked the bonnet earth strap and found that it has corroded all the way through and isn't actually attached to anything anymore!

New one on the way and hopefully no more shocks :cheers:

Thanks for all the tips guys, ...now the shell suit can come out again 8)

Dutch

Its great... it only shocks my girlfiend!! obviously prefers me!!

I love cars with personality!!