Sign in to follow this  
catch_twotwo

Bigger wheels without lowering

I need to get myself some nice wheels to replace the rather rusted and boring ones I have....

However I'm not looking at lowering the suspension right now as I'll be driving alot in Austria next year and snow doesn't agree with low....

So the questions is, can I get a good look using larger wheels and slimer tyres, ir will it just start looking like a 4x4 jeep if I mess with it ? Don't want to really waste money on replacing the 15" ones with the same size if I can get away with it.

Any pictures would be nice... as everybody seems to be lowered >_

I had an unlowered C as a project, it had 17s on it and it looked dreadful, so much better with the original 15s on, big wheels are ok but they have to fill the arches.

Yeah, I'm sorry to say it, but bigger wheels will only accentuate the 4x4 ride height. NickVR6's C looked comical on 17's and standard ride height :lol:

keep an eye on ebay for lowering springs they will help and sometimes they come up cheap... saw a set of 40mm springs go for £10 few weeks back

I have to say, and I do have my flame suit on, My 8v had standard shocks and Apex 40mm springs, I think they're around £80, and it handled really well, and wasn't too stiff etc...it's best to change as many parts while you're there though (( top mounts ,bumpstops etc )) ..to a degree, you do really get what you pay for, but not everyone has a fat wallet.. don't think that if you don't join the Koni/H&R brigade your car will ride like sh!t cos that's not true. :D

if you're going to drive in the snow, you're going to use snow tires anyways, right?

I ride around on 15"ers with a 60mm drop here in norway. not really a problem, but if you think it's too low, take off the front spoiler.

Mate if your gonna be driving a lot in snow then you dont want to be stiffeneing the ride plus you want to keep the sidewalls fairly deep.

Low profile tyres with stiff suspension is the worst combo for driving in snow.

Adjustable platforms, so you can be low normal conditions, and high in occasional snowy conditions, although you geometry would be out.

A set of 17" wheels for normal conditions and a set of spacesavers with knobly tyres for snow.

I used to have the wheels in the first photo on my Mk2 Golf - they are a git to clean.

mmm they just look ridiculous on std suspension with bigger wheels my vlaver is lowered 40mm and its nowhere near enough. rados just look so sweet when the tyres folllow the line of the arches not right up in side but 'just right'!

nah looks fine. Lowered, they look sweet too, but nothing wrong with 17's without lowering. Before i bought the 17s i had the standard BBS 15s. The black trim under the front bumper used to scrape of speed bumps. Hated that. Arent sure why as the wheels are basically the same size. Now i dont have to worry about it. I dont really want to go back to it scraping again thanks.

Interesing... lots of views.

I agree that the 17's don't look THAT bad on an unlowered C... however they do look sweeter when lowered. So I'll have to think about things.

Right now I'm thinking of a set of 40mm lowering springs... like THESE and a set of 17" Tornado's

Maybe the whole suspension will get an overhaul next year when I'm in Munich...

Like your look sciroccotune ;)

Wow that's standard.... Couldn't tell to be honest. Did you go for 17's with smaller tyre walls to keep the total size pretty much the same ?

Isn't the VR6 heavier and therefore a little lower anyway ?