Stan 24v

Definitive 24v into a (VR) Corrado thread

Yes i believe it does. I cant tell for sure because its been off the road since last christmas and cant remember. I do remember there is for sure a heavy ticking on hard acceleration.

What ever's available and / or cheapest mate. MK5 - BUB if it's from a VW or BDB if it's from an Audi. MK4 - BHE

Just remember the golden rule - get everything from the same car!

i like the golden rule. its just a thought right now but want to be prepared if i do, if i was to use a mk4 engine i could get the rev counter working with no hassle right but with mk5 it would be a different storey?

also what about the fuel hoses ? some engines have 2 pipes and some only have one ?

Yes for god sake don't accept mixed parts for a conversion. I learned the hard way!

The rev counter isn't a major ball ache in the mk5 setup. I have a mk5 and it just involved adding a convertor box with a 12v feed and a ground to the rpm signal line. The mk4 is just a direct link iirc, so no need for a convertor.

It's the mk5 that has a single line fuel rail. I sorted this by using a rising rate fpr from eBay for £60!

Hope this helps.

Best thing is the filter is only 20 odd quid and 40K service interval :D

Yep, I just pulled out the blue return line and left the black one in place. Obviously there will be some fudging of pipes and what not to get it to fit where the original filter sits, but it's easy and fairly logical once you're under there!

Right I'll definitely look into that. Not sure how reliable a 60 quid fpr will be!

I keep worrying about keeping it backwards compatible so may leave the return line in place. I'll have a look at that ignition feed later today. It easy to just chop into?

well three conversions are reading 99.9 so it must be a true reading then, worth while conversion just for that idd say, realy not sure if theres a simple solution to get it working as it should, might have something to do with needing to use mk4 clocks>?

I gave in on this and don't think there is a solution besides what VW_Owner_85 said. I simply use an app on my phone to do the calcs for me. I would assume the "torque" app that connects to the ecm should be able to give live mpg readings but I havent been able to get that to work either.

tbh im just happy everything else works as it should, think with every conversion your going to loose something and gain something else in the process, mpg on mfa is a small price to pay imo, so it is related to the mk4 clocks then?

well three conversions are reading 99.9 so it must be a true reading then, worth while conversion just for that idd say, realy not sure if theres a simple solution to get it working as it should, might have something to do with needing to use mk4 clocks>?

Mine says 99.8....

Just kidding its down to not receiving anything from the ecu. Certain sensor values (and I'm not sure which) would go to the clocks and be turned into an mpg. Unless it's discovered what values and then dragged out of the can bus and put through a converter, I doubt it's possible.

Failing that the clocks from the donor would do it!

I'd be interested in finding out how to get the mpg display working on my 24v conversion if possible as well (assuming I ever finish the project). I know that on the VR6 Corrado the ECU sends a signal to the clocks which is used for the mpg calculation. I presume the clocks use this signal and the speed signal to estimate mileage. I'm not exactly sure about the nature of the signal sent by the ECU, whether it is an analog voltage proportional to the fuel flow or if it is a digital pulse at the same frequency as one of the injectors and the clocks have a built in assumption on injector flow rate it uses to infer a fuel flow rate based on the injector pulse width. The early mk IV cars (pre-CAN-BUS) also have a discrete wire from the ECU to the clocks for the mileage information (terminal 81 on the 121 pin connector at the ECU according to my Bentley manuals). That terminal on the ECU connector is not used on the CAN-BUS enabled engines. I have been trying to find out if the ECU still outputs an appropriate signal to that terminal and it's just not used on the CAN-BUS cars. I have inquired about this with a company here in the US that does mk IV tuning programs but have not received any response. Perhaps one of the tuning companies in the UK knows the answer. If one of you has any contacts at a tuning company and could find out, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure if any of this would apply to a mk V based swap.

GC

I'd be interested in finding out how to get the mpg display working on my 24v conversion if possible as well (assuming I ever finish the project). I know that on the VR6 Corrado the ECU sends a signal to the clocks which is used for the mpg calculation. I presume the clocks use this signal and the speed signal to estimate mileage. I'm not exactly sure about the nature of the signal sent by the ECU, whether it is an analog voltage proportional to the fuel flow or if it is a digital pulse at the same frequency as one of the injectors and the clocks have a built in assumption on injector flow rate it uses to infer a fuel flow rate based on the injector pulse width. The early mk IV cars (pre-CAN-BUS) also have a discrete wire from the ECU to the clocks for the mileage information (terminal 81 on the 121 pin connector at the ECU according to my Bentley manuals). That terminal on the ECU connector is not used on the CAN-BUS enabled engines. I have been trying to find out if the ECU still outputs an appropriate signal to that terminal and it's just not used on the CAN-BUS cars. I have inquired about this with a company here in the US that does mk IV tuning programs but have not received any response. Perhaps one of the tuning companies in the UK knows the answer. If one of you has any contacts at a tuning company and could find out, I'd appreciate it.

I'm not sure if any of this would apply to a mk V based swap.

GC

Would be nice to get my mpg readout working. Think it requires a 24v ecu and as my loom was spliced from 2 looms, it might be a bit of a pain.

What does the vacuum tube on the back of the clocks do if its not for the mpg? I thought that was what it was for!

What does the vacuum tube on the back of the clocks do if its not for the mpg? I thought that was what it was for!

It's my understanding that the vacuum tube was used for the mpg calculations only in the early Corrado model years, at least that's the case here in the US. I believe it was used until some time in the middle of model year 1992 when they went to the fully electronic system I mentioned above. I presume the same applies in Europe. This does raise an interesting possibility I had not considered before, the mpg feature might work if you use the clocks from an early VR6 car that used the vacuum tube system and simply run a vacuum line off the intake manifold. I'll have to see what information if any the Bentley has regarding this system. Presumably if the 24v engine has the same displacement as the original VR6 then the clocks should provide a reasonably good mpg estimate.

GC

was told normal 2.8 with lightened bottom end flowed head and differerent cams with a chiped ecu about 245 brake so im told will soon see what its like when it goes in. say its been built by regal