Sign in to follow this  
scarlett

suggestions please for a new car....

.... before anyone asks the C is staying, she is just gonna get a holiday for a few months.... (or a limited milage policy if i can afford it.... :) )

what i really need just now is something big and powerful enough to tow a horsebox weighing roughly 1.5 tonne comfortably enough and costing less than a grand.... any ideas guys.....?

ideally i want a Jeep Cherokee again if i can find one in my price range (tho i might stretch it a bit for one of them....) have had a few other suggestions, Mondeo turbo diesel, 406 turbo diesel, Dhiatsu fourtrack, but quite frankly the thought of driving one of them whilst i have a C sitting redundant on driveway would make me cry..... :(

any suggestions for something thats a little bit less yuck but still practical...?

cheeeeeeeeeers!!!!

good idea but way too expensive!!! too buy something like that i would need to sell the rado..... and thats not happening...!!!

early B4's are cheap as chips now, and they're damn good cars. not sure on the estate since I've never driven one, but if the saloon's anything to go by it'd be a very good buy.

the saloon would do... just need a big boot to keep saddles and stuff in...!!!

hmmmm..... a search on ebay appears to be in order..... :)

How about a BMW 3 series touring... I'm sure you could get a good late E30 320i for that money and can still enjoy quality german engineering when you have to drive 8)

It is all about towing weights, The Mondeo and 406s may be able to tow a plastic caravan but would you trust it to keep your half tonne horse and trailer safe?

How about a Mitzi shogun?

I'd go with a 4x4, maybe a pickup of some kind or a Landrover 90/defender if you can find one cheap enough.

ZippyVR6, good point but... they just remind me of the pikies in Snatch - do ya like dags?

Tru enough mate but TBH any big 4wd that is gonna cost less than a gee could be classed as a pikeymobile, you just have to look beyond that as it's all about serving a purpose.

How about a caravan in Perrywinkle blue? :D

F reg Range Rover Vogue..... less than a grand, V8 + Auto.... all the torque you could ever need :-) Slightly scary fuel bills tho....

lol... need to keep the fuel bill down, hence the TDi idea...

would love another 4x4... not a huge fan of the mk1 shoguns or old Land Rovers so it would have to be a Cherokee, pretty reliable, decent economy and can tow well above the weight I would need it too....

tbh tho i think it'll be a car rather than a 4x4 just now.... my friends 406 tdi can pull her box and two ponies comfortably... its just the thought of driving a pug that puts me off..... :)

Don't go for a 4x4, might be better off-road, obviously, but crap fuel economy even if diesel as the drag from the sheer size (and weight factor) is so high. As have been mentioned already defo worth considering is a Passat B4 TDi saloon or estate. Plenty of good ones on Autotrader for between £1000-£2000.

If you can stretch to £2500-£3000 ish you can get a high-mileage B5 ! Another option would be a TDi Vectra, loads around, I know it's a Vauxhall but they will go on forever and are cheap to buy/service/run/parts etc.

HTH