Sign in to follow this  
Ice White Socks

Focals comps too bright! Anything I can do?

Hi,

I have the Focal component speakers fitted along with a whole load other Audioscape swag. I can't help feel they are too bright at high volumes- some of the high vocals are just ear piercing.

Can this be corrected by using the equalisation? if so I could take it to Audioscape and get it set-up properly and ask them to level the tone a bit (I am guessing it must show up as being out of balance on their equipment). If not and it something I'm stuck with then I might look to get them changed :?

Cheers

Yep, they are known for it and not best partnered with the 9835R (which you've got haven't you?) as they are bright aswell.

Try running the tweets out of phase (swap + and - over), that can help with brightness.

You won't like my recommendation, change the speakers!

You can tone it down a little with the parametric EQ, but not a lot without losing too much clarity and transparency.

I went through all this myself and is why I ended up with the Lotus SEAS speakers.

It's more the focal tweeters tbh.... if your Focal xovers have gain adjustment on the tweeters, drop em down to -3db, or whatever the lowest gain is. That helps too.

Thanks for advice Kev- the thought of having to change the speakers fills me with depair! But if thats it what it takes then thats what it will have to be!

Lotus SEAS hey 8) yummers

Maybe Kev could start writing notes for girlfriends and wives.

"Please excuse John, but he simply has to buy brand new expensive speakers because his old ones are too bright. Yours sincerely, Dr Haywire."

or you could just bias the sound towards the rear a bit more, depending what you're running in the back.

my 6x9s in the shelf round everything off very nicely. and the sound stage isn't obvioulsy front or back, which is how i like it.

Where you got them positioned mate.

Mine are in the dash, but all focal tweeters sound better mounted on windscreen pillar facing across you.

As when in the dash the windscreen makes them brighter as well.

Mine are cut on the xover and EQ'd on a seperate EQ sound real good but as with any install you can always do more.

Keep the speakes but spend your money on a decent EQ as you need good control over the whole sound stage.

Its like your engine you change 1 part and it affects others. Its all got to work together.

mm well- first thing I did recently was to turn the MX right off (this is feature on the HU which brightens the sound no end). I think I'll turn my tweets right down (to -6db I think, they are on -3db at the mo)- this should make it actually spot-on- so need to change at all- wahey :D

I think it means Media eXpander or something - basically it's a turn-up-the-bass-turn-up-the-treble-damnit-now-my-hearing's-gone-and-i-have-tinnitus button... ;)

I think it means Media eXpander or something - basically it's a turn-up-the-bass-turn-up-the-treble-damnit-now-my-hearing's-gone-and-i-have-tinnitus button... ;)

Sounds lovely :? First thing I do when I get a stereo is to turn all the smegging this that and the other boost stuff.

However - have you considered some socks strategically placed over the tweeters? Should dull up the sound quite nicely :lol:

However - have you considered some socks strategically placed over the tweeters? Should dull up the sound quite nicely :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

However - have you considered some socks strategically placed over the tweeters? Should dull up the sound quite nicely

Joking aside- i was thinking about padded out the speaker grilles with something to take the edge off the highs!

Its worse with MP3's which seem have the guts of the midrange taken out but stil ear piercing highs!

Kev- you reckon put the tweets out of phase then? is that both tweets out together? or one 1-way and the 2nd the other? I might try that- how does that work then?

Cheers

Yeah, swap the plus and minus wires over on the tweeters.

It works by changing the direction of the cone movement. In phase, the cone moves up, out of phase it moves down. Some speakers just sound better running out of phase, especially subs! Doesn't harm the speaker in anyway since cone excursion is the same amount in both directions.

Could you just replace the tweeters with something known to have a "softer" sound? The JL VR components' tweeters have a very laid back sound for instance?