gradeAfailure

The Suspension Discussion Thread

Hey guys. Newb here. I have a set of FK Streetlines on mine at the moment, running 205/40/16 setup. And they are aweful. I am in the market for some coils for DD as well as some spirited driving. I'd love to have something with adjustable dampening/height. I've been reading this whole post and can't come up with a definitive choice. The FK's are really harsh and bouncy. I feel everything through the cabin.. I'm looking at the FK V1's and the Highsports in particular. I really don't want to go over $1K for suspension. Does anyone have any recommendations?

a up mate, the kw v1s are ment to be an amazing coilover everybody raves about them but they are only height adjustable they have uprated dampening from the standard suspension which is realy ment to to be good

as for fk, the konigs sport and the sport edition plus coilovers are very similar but konigs are £100 more expensive they are both hight and dampening adjustable, ive got sport edition plus ones and i find them good they do the job, they are my first coilover so i carnt realy compare them to any others except the cars ive been in, and well unless your on a track testing the limit its realy hard to say :shrug:

there is also, avo, koni, ap, weirtec, bilstein, etc

im not sure if you ment £ or $ if it was £ then like with everything you get what you pay for so if you have £1000 id look at the kw V2s or if you can streach the kw V3 ultimate coilover

hope this hasnt made it confuseing, basiclly work out how much money you have, then look at the coilovers around that and then look at what you want out of a coilover :D

Thanks for that info! I'm here in the US :help: , so the amounts were in US dollars. I guess I'm really looking for comfort over much else, so ''you get what you pay for'' really is true. I paid $550 (well, insurance did anyway) for the Streets, and it really shows. They're ok, but not for a daily driven old volkswagen sports car with other failing parts :tongue:

How do the ones you have stand up to average roads in your area? Are they comfortable to ride on?

wellcome from over the pond :wave: :lol:

well if your looking for a good coilover at that sort of price then i think most people would say kw v1 all day long

i havnt ever been in a car with them but im sure theres alot of of people on here who would vouch for them, so if you dont want a rock hard car then thats probs what i would have gone for

well mine are ok i guess, thing is my car isnt a daily so i dont have to put up with it all day every day and as such is slammed on 16s with low profile tyres and because of that my coilover have just been set on the hardest setting so they dont rub like mad, if you have got a good smooth set of twisty roads then there great the car feels so planted and i love them BUT, as soon as the road turns a little bumpy all hell breaks loose its like an earthquakes goin on in side the car, sayin that they are set on rock hard with about 15mm of travel if you set them on soft youve got around 40mm - 50mm of travel which im sure would feel fine on a daily car infact i bet there quite good, when ive got the time im guna bray my arches a little more and i might make them a little softer for daily driving. tbh i like them

hope this helps

back tracking several post i should have checked this thread ages ago with regards to getting my kw v1s fitted and people asking what they are like. The best answer is they are fantastic for what i use the car for. i live in countryside and also drive the car relatively hard at times. the road handling is so much better but still very comforable in the car. going back a few posts about weitec hicon and kw being the same coilovers just not stainless, i was informed that the damping units were different

I have koni coilovers on my VR and while a bit rugged they show their worth in the handling stakes. In the last 3 or 4 weeks however whilst the fronts seems fine I have been getting a bit more jolt for my pot hole dollar than I usually do and the back end is definately a bit more larey than usual.

I have had a nose and they look fine, no signs of leakage and the springs look good save for a touch of wear. Could this be simply top mounts and/or bushes? Or is it possiblr that they are knackered and I have to start thinking about replacing them?

I have religiously cleaned and lubricated the threads every 6 months or so to make sure they dont seize etc and they look the same as they always did. The last MOT said I have a split dust cover on the nearside and there seems to be a little more vertical play in the offside than I think there has been before. Any thoughts?

Hi i have recently bought a vr6 of a friend who has admitadly put cheap suspension on the car. I have 17" Audi TT Comp wheels with 205-40-17 tyres on with the state of our roads the ride is a bit rough and the tyres catch the top of my arches. Can anyone recommend a good suspension set up that will give a good ride at speed without having to swerve for pot holes

standard suspension its great if you want clearance for when u hit pot holes infact you could probably hit a house and not feel it :lol:

jokes aside if you have a quick scan through the last couple of pages you will probably find what you lookin for

1st whats your budget

2nd what can you buy

3rd pick the ones that you think suit what you want them for the best

4th buy

5th fit um

o and no suspension or old car takes nicely to pot holes id recomend avoiding them at all costs they like to brake :lol:

not sure if anybody can answer this, is there going to any different in ride quality between my H&R Coilovers and KW's as alot of people seem to buy KW's, is it just a fashionable name at the moment or are they far superior to H&R's???

This is one of the hardest things ive brought for the VR (suspension i mean) purely for the fact you cant try before you buy!!! and every one i spoke to had a different opinon lol

my two main varibles were that i wanted the car to have a nice stance and most importantly the ride quality, i didnt see the point in buying a coilover kit with variable damping and rebound etc as i would just set it to the softest setting and leave it.

The build quality of the H&R's is excellent, and the ride quality is very good to, its not going to be like the standard set up but it aint bad, only very big pot holes its a bit eye winsing :)

H&R's cant be that bad as they have been going for the last 25 years just seems you dont here many people talking about them, or buying them these days!!

Right just a quick one really, after reading lots into what coilovers would be the best bet for my vr, i feel that i would be so much better off in the long run paying that little bit more first time and buying the Kw varient 1's.

I mean the corrado is my daily atm, and my rear shocks are indeed on their way out so i need to do this sooner rather than later, but where should i buy them from??? Ive used venom motorsports before when i bought my suspension for my mk2 golf and found them very good, and at the moment i havent found the kw v1 any cheaper else where, so i was just wondering where you guys bought them from???

Any information on prices and places would be great, thanks

My VR has just had a standard replacement as below.

The dampers are Sachs Advantage, and all the rubber parts are either Febi or Meyle - ie OEM quality standard replacements.

Taking out the price of the oil and filter, it's under £500, which I think is great.

I've retained my original springs all round, and the ride is such an improvement from the wallowy mess it was.

I know I'm probably in a minority for sticking to bog standard, but that's just me ;) Having had loads of trouble with a crashy back end on my Mk2, which had OEM rubber, Boge Turbo dampers and H&R 30mm lowering springs (fitted by Vince @ Stealth - ie an expert), I've decided to keep my C stock.

Chris

==========

Here you go folks, here's my shopping list - all courtesy of the highly recommended AVS in Swaffham:

http://www.avscarparts.co.uk/

Their webstore is here:

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/

Products

------------------------------------------------------

2 x 14428 Ball Joint Kit (In Stock) (14428) = £25.50

1 x 1001990038 Engine Mount, Rear (In Stock) (1001990038) = £32.95

2 x 18358 Bumpstop, Front (Special Order) (18358) = £5.90

2 x 14116 Strut Top Mount Kit (In Stock) (14116) = £14.50

2 x 14230 ARB Link (In Stock) (D3_14230) = £23.90

2 x 09519 ARB Mount (In Stock) (09519) = £1.50

1 x 09531 Control Arm, Right (In Stock) (09531) = £32.95

1 x 09530 Control Arm, Left (In Stock) (09530) = £32.95

1 x 1001990031 Engine Mount, Front (In Stock) (1001990031) = £24.95

2 x 01367 Boot, Front (In Stock) (01367) = £4.70

2 x 170128 Shock Absorber, Front (Special Order) (170128) = £85.00

1 x 14958 Strut Top Mount Kit, Rear (In Stock) (14958) = £4.95

2 x 18362 Bumpstop, Rear (In Stock) (18362) = £17.00

2 x 06985 Boot, Rear (In Stock) (06985) = £1.90

2 x 1005120102 (was 19381) Spring Plate (In Stock) (1005120102) = £9.90

2 x 1005120006 Spring Buffer (In Stock) (1005120006) = £4.90

2 x 1005120015 Support Ring (In Stock) (1005120015) = £1.70

2 x 105776 Shock Absorber, Rear (In Stock) (105776) = £55.90

2 x 01172 Rear Axle Bush (In Stock) (01172) = £17.90

2 x 01198 Rear Axle Bush Bolt (Special Order) (01198) = £1.70

2 x 05139 Nut (In Stock) (05139) = £2.50

2 x Quantum Synta 5-Litre (In Stock) (ZGB115QLB004) = £29.90

1 x H932/5x Oil Filter (In Stock) (H932/5x) = £5.25

------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Total: £438.30

(Delivery to UK : 48.22 Kg): £4.95

VAT @ 17.5%: £77.57

Total: £520.82

Hi i have recently bought a vr6 of a friend who has admitadly put cheap suspension on the car. I have 17" Audi TT Comp wheels with 205-40-17 tyres on with the state of our roads the ride is a bit rough and the tyres catch the top of my arches. Can anyone recommend a good suspension set up that will give a good ride at speed without having to swerve for pot holes

If you want to go back to standard, check out my shopping list :)

Firm enough at high speed for me, great on Nottigham's many speed bumps and pot holes, no wallow on lumpy / subsiding A roads, lovely controlled slides around corners... on private roads of course!!

I am looking into a rear subframe overhaul next, got some new weitecs on and was shoving it into corners today for the first time...... seemed a bit loose on the rear... bit like the front would steer then the back would a second later? Sound familiar..... any advice? Oh and yes i know weitecs are not the most expensive out there but i am almost sure this is not the cause of the backend still being twitchy..... Do we have a gocompare thread on here?

Also what should i be looking at price wise for poly bushing compared to standard? And any ideas on what a labour charge from a garage would be?

Sounds to me like your rear axle bushes are shot. You should be able to visually check easily, by looking for peeling rubber. As a pro standard nerd, id say dont do it re: poly bushes. The whole beauty of how a corrado corners is down to the very slight passive rear steer due to the rubber rear axle bushes flexing. If you just want to have axle bushes done it should be quite a quick job, ie a couple of hours but beware that the rear brake load compensator is attached to the axle and is fixed with crap alu pins that seize and may need heating to remove. This can lead to cooked compensator syndrome! So to be on the safe side, get a quote for a new one (£150 ish?) in case your mechanic is unlucky or clumsy and cant rebuild it or get it working again. I was lucky.. Also, the odd piece of brake pipe may need fabricating. It all depends on what was nicely replaced when your dampers were fitted. In summary id say stick with rubber as new rubber will feel loads better than old rubber. Lets see what the pro tuning fans have to say... :)

Arent the rear axle bushes suppposed to have a little give in them though?

Mine does the same, almost feels the back end is going to let go for a split second just as you go into a corner, but never does. Had my axle bushes looked at and was told they were fine.

Arent the rear axle bushes suppposed to have a little give in them though?

Mine does the same, almost feels the back end is going to let go for a split second just as you go into a corner, but never does. Had my axle bushes looked at and was told they were fine.

exactly, that's how the passat B3 / corrado rear trailing arm works.

mine are new and almost feels like possible oversteer, but is always well behaved apart from tyre slippage.

if the rubber aint peeling, they're fine, imho

Chris

Kw 1s Galvanized or stainless???? Anyone have expierence with either? or can tell me anything bout them?

Looking at getting galvanized as cheaper, any probs with them???

Kw 1s Galvanized or stainless???? Anyone have expierence with either? or can tell me anything bout them?

Looking at getting galvanized as cheaper, any probs with them???

imo id spend that little bit more on the inox (stainless) ones. I hear too may stories about coilover spring seats seizing after only a short period of time.

Trouble is, im already pushing the budget for the gals :lol:

Point taken and will look for afew extra pennys. :)

Hi all, does anyone know if Golf VR6 coilovers will fit a Corrado VR6?

A friend has some Golf KW varient 2 coilovers for sale and was wondering if they will transfer straight across. They appear as though they will fit when comparing his coilovers to my standard suspension. Assuming that they do fit, I'm guessing that the difference between the two different coilovers is the load rating.

Standard suspension Q here. Just looking for advice or imput.

I've a VR on standard set-up and their on their way out.

Was looking to get full suspension set up for no more then £300.

Is this far to low to get a mid level kit?

Does anyone know if there is a half decent kit for arund £300?

I understand the ride will be a bit jumpy over crap roads - no issues with that, just don't want it bone jangling so!

Thanks guys.

Standard suspension Q here. Just looking for advice or imput.

I've a VR on standard set-up and their on their way out.

Was looking to get full suspension set up for no more then £300.

Is this far to low to get a mid level kit?

Does anyone know if there is a half decent kit for arund £300?

I understand the ride will be a bit jumpy over crap roads - no issues with that, just don't want it bone jangling so!

Thanks guys.

it depends if you're just after shocks/springs or coilovers. if its coilovers you want buying these is probably your best bet!