Sign in to follow this  
CharlieHorse

The endless quest for a squeak free corrado

Having just spent ages cutting little bit of felt and trying to stick them in places where human hands where clearly not ment to reach i'm wondering if there isnt some sort of spray on rubber type stuff i could use instead. Anyone ever seen anything like it? Or is my incredibly short attention span getting the better of me?

Mine squeaked quite a bit from the dash and then I refit one thing properly and it all stopped!

Can yer guess what it is yet!

The stereo!

Just spray expanding foam into the whole thing :lol:

Just dont take it apart !:) I have a mate who used to work at Toyota main dealer and they used that expanding foam to stop squeeks !! I kid you not :shock:

Just spray expanding foam into the whole thing :lol:

Just dont take it apart !:) I have a mate who used to work at Toyota main dealer and they used that expanding foam to stop squeeks !! I kid you not :shock:

Yeah, you wouldn't really want to have to fix anything back there after you fill it with foam :?

Ye we use that on all sorts of car parts for different manufacturers to stop sqeeks. You want to see the amount they use on the X type Jags - it must be 2 dozen cans per car - I kid you not. No chance of once its set. But it does stop squeeks. Foam and felt pads, or double sided sticky pads are you best bet. :D

Speak to Kevhaywire! His car has been meticulously dismantled and reassembled, had little strategic bits of felt and dynamat put everywhere, and new clips and fittings (which I think is the key point here) to make his car quite and comfortable.. it really shows too as his car just wafts along with virtually no cabin creaks / groans / squeaks! :)

If you wanna stick with the felt- you can get self-adhesive felt maybe 2mm thick- its perfect for this kinda thing. These cars actually were pretty well felted up from the factory- its just all worn through now.

The big sqeak buster for me was to pull out the 'transmission tunnel' trim and felt every contactable area (strangely enough the biggest squeak/rub came from between the very back of the tunnel plastic and the plasticked carpet pleat at the base of the rear seats :? )

Let me know if you need some and I'll send u the details- it was VERY difficult to find though KevH says he got it from a dept store IIRC?

Cheers

You can get Sticky felt from John Lewis, I've got some ready to go on. Its not 2mm but should do the job.

ive just stopped my front windows from rattling by covering the whole mech in thick grease!! but then again the previous owner dynamat'd the whole car!

As anyone who went to Stealth will have noticed, I just removed the complete dashboard... got rid of all the squeaks and then gaffatape removed any rattles... :twisted: :lol:

Do you know where you can get the clips / screws from or part numbers? Alot of mine have been replaced with self tappers which eventually fall out.

Also, the roof lining rattles, any ideas where you get that matting from which they stick on the inside of the dash etc? Looks abit like recycled carpet.

I thought you could get a spray on dynamat type sound deadening. Remeber the sheet stuff being pretty expensive.

Rpmayne, just go to VW and buy a selection...

Althoug Corrado interior plastics aren't as good as most other VW's they shouldn't rattle, this is mostly caused by windscreen and alarm fitters not replacing broken clips etc...

Use a dab of black silicon sealant on the self tappers to stop them rattleing loose, make sure all looms are taped down as they should be and replace any missing felt...

I'm thinking of doing this, have taken so much of the car off now it all seems to rattle. The old padding would just disintegrate in my hands as the panel came off.

Anyway, was thinking of doing up a bass test type noise going from about 40hz to 4000 or so in cycles so you can stick that on and it'll make the panels vibrate so you can find all the squeaks. Will be easier than with music as it'll be a constant bass and there won't be any singing or percussion over the top of it.

Might do that tonight. If it works I'll post up an MP3 so anyone else can do it...

It's taken me ages to get the interior quiet and it's probably about as good as I can get it. The only thing that really makes a noise now is the leather, but I can chalk that or something.

There are certain noises you will never get rid of though, such as body flex creaking various plastics and the cracking dash as it heats up etc.

I've recently found self adhesive flock tape and it's a god send. Manufacturers use it on door seals etc to stop squeaking etc, but it can be used elsewhere. I've run it around the door aperture where the door seals butt up to and it works!

You can get Sticky felt from John Lewis, I've got some ready to go on. Its not 2mm but should do the job.

I went to our local John Lewis and its pretty big, but they didnt have any :shrug: Any other High Street stores suggested? Also, where did you get the flock tape Kev?

I went to our local John Lewis and its pretty big, but they didnt have any :shrug: Any other High Street stores suggested? Also, where did you get the flock tape Kev?

You could try somewhere like hobby craft if you have one local.

I'm thinking of doing this, have taken so much of the car off now it all seems to rattle. The old padding would just disintegrate in my hands as the panel came off.

Anyway, was thinking of doing up a bass test type noise going from about 40hz to 4000 or so in cycles so you can stick that on and it'll make the panels vibrate so you can find all the squeaks. Will be easier than with music as it'll be a constant bass and there won't be any singing or percussion over the top of it.

Might do that tonight. If it works I'll post up an MP3 so anyone else can do it...

Bass test:

8)

They definitely still sell it mate. I bought a 4M roll of it from the Blue Water Lewis's about a month ago 8)

Flock tape - I got it from Audioscape, or AS Essentials as they're now known. Check with your dealer aswell as they keep all manner of foam strips and things in stock for fixing dash rattles and squeaks etc on new cars under warranty.

getting a bit weird here (me, that is :cuckoo: ) - which department in John Lewis? I went first to the drapes section for curtains etc and they sent me to the haberdashery, who also had no clue :shrug: