Sign in to follow this  
saysomestuff

Camper Advice

My old man might be selling his van if you want to have a look.

its a old M plate 1982 poss? has got a high roof conversion, all done professionally, interior was retrimmed, and got fridge etc.

its a old M plate 1982 poss? has got a high roof conversion, all done professionally, interior was retrimmed, and got fridge etc.

Hi mate, 1982 is X reg isn't it? is it a T25?

quite a few vw camper drivers are dumping the vw air cooled motors for subaru engines now,at least 4 aircooled campers had blown motors at deva dubs last weekend

Shall we count up how many people have got feked vr engines as well? Doesn't mean they're bad engines does it.

Where in dazzyvr6's post does it actually say aircooled engines are no good? He was just saying whats going on in the aircooled scene. My bro is restoring a '62 double-door panel at the mo, and my mate runs a 1641 aircooled bay. I'm not a fan of subura plants, prefer the OE+ street rod approach but its a fact that people go for subaru motors cos its more bang for your bucks. Plus you'll need a large bore motor before rebuilding and slapping a turbo on, so if you start off with a 1200 bus you'll need to pay out more than £1200 as you need a high capacity motor.

well it was certainly implied eh? :p[/quote:323d5]

hmm where exactly did i say the vw air cooled engine are shite??all i said was what some people are now doing :roll:

I got an 82 air cooled last year and i've been to spain and back twice in it with no probs but would still like a more modern enginge, 4 gears and a top speed of about 65 ( unless going down hill) can get boring for long runs.

But saying that it's solid and easy to drive, feel like king of the road sitting up high and holding up the traffic.

dazzyvr6 - its hardly an issue anyway mate :)

chaz g60 - i here what you're saying fella but the 2.0 twin carb will cruise at 80 no problem. About 95 tops :)

Juicy though :(

Well mine must be a bit poorly then haha plus its allways full of stuff running around town it seems to be more expensive than the g60 on fuel i may get it checked over

oh right - yours is a 2.0 twin! sorry mate i didn't notice :)

christ that is slow then! mine was more expensive than the vr on fuel definately. cost me a fekin fortune when we drove to sweden.

You're all wrong - stick a Porsche Turbo engine in and pop wheelies off the lights :twisted:

Been there, seen that, scared myself sh!tless... wasn't a turbo though, but even so, a 2.4L flat 6 in the back of a stripped out, STUPIDLY low bay window van that was older than I was was always gonna be a silly first car to buy!

I hadn't passed my test yet and so wasn't driving it when it scared me enough to want it, but during some tidying on it once I bought it I discovered that all the wheelies had weakened the chassis rails up front (probably when the wheels hit back down again) and so had to scrap it... :( Made a profit on it though, it's still the only car I ever have made money on though... :oops:

Rest in piece YRA181L, you were very silly, made me giggle like a loonie and probably warped my perception of how a car should be for the rest of my life! :lol: :twisted:

One of my mates has a very nice T25, which is a 2.0 flat 4 watercooled, that'll do about 90mph, once you are used to it, it drives very nicely.

Another mate had a T25 with a straight 4 watercooled Turbo Diesel, basicaly the same as what you would get in a Golf. I think it was a 1.6, but that accelerated faster than the petrol and the Turbo sounded great. If I was going to get one, I'd be very tempted to get the Diesel - Better fuel economy and more usable power.

Spotted this 1600 Diesel on ebay, in the commercials section:

Clicky

and an interior/1915cc motor here:

Interior clicky (got to breaking section then select VW as manufacturer and browse, they have a C here too but I've raped it for most of the good bits, full grey still interior in it though, and a near new brake servo)

Cheap cheap 8)

saysomestuff , I was at the Cardiff car auctions the other night and there was a tidy looking transporter camper - looked pretty good all round and no-one seemed interested either so I think it went unsold - it might be worth going down there for a look.

sorry to hi jack this guys (but im going to anyway :))

What is the insurance like on these? lower than a corrado?

Im thinking about moving into the slowlane and getting a van :)

sorry to hi jack this guys (but im going to anyway :))

What is the insurance like on these? lower than a corrado?

Im thinking about moving into the slowlane and getting a van :)

Mine was about half the cost of my rado insurance :)

I had trouble finding an insurance company that believed a 17 year old wanted to try and insure a 1972 Type 2 with as many suspension and body mods as mine had AND a porsche engine in it... :oops:

Most of 'em just laughed and wouldn't give me a quote... :(

I ended up getting a MKI Golf GTi and haven't looked back since! :lol:

I’m really considering this, maybe its juts the nice summer weather talking but I think it would be fab! Could use it for all kinds of holidays, I could take the dogs and my bike, not sure that the dogs could be trusted as they are a bit crazy but hey….

I Think ill try a few quotes for a t25 over the next few weeks. Wish I could go for an older style but they are just so stupidly expensive!

Hi mate, 1982 is X reg isn't it? is it a T25?

u tell me. :lol: its around that year and yes its a T25

Could use it for all kinds of holidays, I could take the dogs......they are a bit crazy but hey

Dirty weekend? :norty: Never mind don't come knockin' when this van's rockin' it should be don't come knockin' when sciroccotune's doggin' :lol:

Dirty weekend? Never mind don't come knockin' when this van's rockin' it should be don't come knockin' when sciroccotune's doggin'

I should have seen that coming :norty: :lol:

However I think you have just encouraged me still further, campers rule but seem to cost more than corrados!

Can they be used as everyday cars?