Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

UPDATE on engine, (just telling the story, not accusing anyone of anything)

I rang Stealth as not heard back from them, He hadn't stripped the engine yet, but seemed to think it would have been caused by a twisted block as two other people who bought the same new blocks as i did, they both had the same problem, Vince said he rebuilt one of them and it happened again, so its a twisted block.

So i rang the bloke i bought it from (who seemed very clued up on the engines as well) He kept one of the same blocks for himself, built it up as a VRT and its been fine, he also said he had supplied 25 of the blocks to various people and companies and they had been ok. He told me it would have been wrong bearing fitted or an oil jet fallen out. So went back to stealth and told vince that, so he is now going to strip the engine to look.

So i'm not sure where to go now, Vince recommends to just bin the engine and start again, the other chap says he would be happy for an engineering shop to measure the engine to prove its twisted. I have my original block, (which needs some work on the bores) which is really why i bought a new block.

Getting a bit fed up now, not driven the car properly for ages and feel like i've just chucked a load of money down the drain.

UPDATE on engine, (just telling the story, not accusing anyone of anything)

I rang Stealth as not heard back from them, He hadn't stripped the engine yet, but seemed to think it would have been caused by a twisted block as two other people who bought the same new blocks as i did, they both had the same problem, Vince said he rebuilt one of them and it happened again, so its a twisted block.

So i rang the bloke i bought it from (who seemed very clued up on the engines as well) He kept one of the same blocks for himself, built it up as a VRT and its been fine, he also said he had supplied 25 of the blocks to various people and companies and they had been ok. He told me it would have been wrong bearing fitted or an oil jet fallen out. So went back to stealth and told vince that, so he is now going to strip the engine to look.

So i'm not sure where to go now, Vince recommends to just bin the engine and start again, the other chap says he would be happy for an engineering shop to measure the engine to prove its twisted. I have my original block, (which needs some work on the bores) which is really why i bought a new block.

Getting a bit fed up now, not driven the car properly for ages and feel like i've just chucked a load of money down the drain.

All to familiar feeling there. I will just add, in vinces defence, mine was originally booked in for a week on the 25-06, and since discovering the head was warped and so forth hes now had almost 5 weeks on it as well as everything else. As im using it for mine and the other halfs holiday next week. So i sort of twisted his arm about getting it done and put him in a bit of a hard situation with regards to if he didnt get it done in time i wouldn't be going on holiday. So in his defense, he probably would of had it stripped down and inspected if it wasn't for me.

In my opinion with regards to the above, i would let Vince strip it down to then produce and accurate assessment of it all. Once this information is in hand go from there. I will say, regardless of the quality the guy who sold it you is always going to defend his product. its his business, whereas Vince has nothing to gain whether the block is sound or not.

I feel like i'm back where i started 2yrs ago, scanning the internet for another engine etc

Even starting to consider buying the "sunroof mod" corrado on ebay just for the engine and then sell everything else on it (break it for parts basically)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Corrado-VR6-1993-full-rebuild-fast-road-high-spec-px-/182191774858?hash=item2a6b79dc8a:g:mIAAAOSwuzRXdvMV

Feel really sorry for you mate. I'd say "you need to persevere" but I know how draining this can all be :|

I feel like i'm back where i started 2yrs ago, scanning the internet for another engine etc

Even starting to consider buying the "sunroof mod" corrado on ebay just for the engine and then sell everything else on it (break it for parts basically)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Corrado-VR6-1993-full-rebuild-fast-road-high-spec-px-/182191774858?hash=item2a6b79dc8a:g:mIAAAOSwuzRXdvMV

Mate, I think there's a complete car in Cambridge up for £400 at the moment. I'll try to find the details if you're interested

Whats wrong with your old engine?

There must be loads of rusty mk3s around to donate a block?

Original engine had worn bores and was noisy on startup (piston slap), then the headgasket went, so bought another engine from a guy on here (only wanted it as a temp engine while i had something better/new built)

2nd engine had the tappy noise and got on my nerves, but the bottom end may be good so could use that i guess.

The only thing keeping me going is i had money put aside for a new daily, but the current daily went tits up last month and had to spend £1500 of the money on that. So going to keep the daily now and have some money aside which i guess will have to go back into the corrado now :lol:

@micvr, i may have seen that, is it a golf or corrado? I just look at the adverts and question how good the engine may be if the rest of the car is such a state.

I may be looking at selling my car in the near future.... recently got a new job which involves some travel pays too well to choose the car over the job.... don't want to use my low mileage car for a daily and don't really want the hassle of running two cars..... watch this space .... in two minds.... and they keep arguing with each other

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I may be looking at selling my car in the near future.... recently got a new job which involves some travel pays too well to choose the car over the job.... don't want to use my low mileage car for a daily and don't really want the hassle of running two cars..... watch this space .... in two minds.... and they keep arguing with each other

Thats a bit like saying youre not going to have sex with your new virgin bride to keep her tight for the next bloke....... Drive it and enjoy it :)

Haha know what you mean.... but don't think she deserves 2000 miles a month..... that's like letting the local football team have a go every month lol

Thats a bit like saying youre not going to have sex with your new virgin bride to keep her tight for the next bloke....... Drive it and enjoy it :)

ha ha ha quote of the day that is Dox!!!!! PMSL

Is yours Bills old one?

No.... or not that I know of..... bought from a trader in Southampton

Still my favorite Corrado on the internet. TO DATE!

I was thinking about selling the caddy up and using it as my daily!

In a way it would be nice to own such a unique piece of modification history.

In all seriousness though, if the engine is good like it says, it would be worth buying to split and probably ending up quids in, especially as a complete rebuild is probably going to cost £3000-£4000

Think i'm going to fit the spare engine, will see what happens as i'm doing the bodywork at the moment so even if i did have an engine it in, i wouldn't be driving it anywhere for at least a month

Cheers. Am sure it'll all get sorted out one day. Not going to rush it, the rest of the car is now all how i wanted it and set the target if driving before the winter of last year set in, so got to do that.

Trying to rationalise it and its only really a bottom end that i need fixed. Everything else is good.

I find the hassle of sourcing parts and moving engines around the place, (especially to and from stealth as it's about 220miles away) and then ringing people more of stress than what it may cost in money.

I do wonder if i just sling in my old engine in with a new headgasket and the head off the broken engine. And then take my time to get the other one sorted out, maybe look into a decent turbo spec build.

Just lacquered the bonnet, needs a sand and polish but will wait a week or so

20160730_132643.jpg

20160730_134430.jpg

Front edge much better than it was, not perfect but it'll do until i get a respray

20160730_132706.jpg

Chips it had before i started

20160529_182447.jpg