Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Well it passed the mot. Only a rear fog light and wipers wiped the wrong way. But that was the linkage on wrong. Fixed now.

Am getting worried the head gasket isn't right. Going to drive it a bit first. Seems to lose coolant overnight and then there is moisture from exhaust when i start it cold.

A bit gutting if it is the head gasket (or even worse something to do with the head)

But i have all winter as going to be putting it back in the garage when the weather turns.

I guess I'm not an expert here but wouldn't be sure moisture in the exhaust in a morning is necessarily a sign of the HG. Mr VR's always put out a bit moisture from the exhaust on a morning for a good few minutes whilst warming up.

The coolant loss is interesting though possible you've had an air lock which is still working it's way out of the system?

Do you have a compression tester? Any sign of oil / water contamination?

There's always some condensation in an exhaust in the morning, so no need to worry about that. You probably just have a slight leak somewhere. Congrats on the MOT.

Cheers guys. Am hoping I'm just worrying for nothing.

Just got in. Been out and did 100miles. All seems to work. Not going over 3500rpm. But was nice to hear a slight vr6 howl again. Can't wait til it run in and mapped etc So i can thrash it. Steering is feeling nice. Did the fixed column mod. Heavy, but think that's because I've been driving the audi.

Coolant gauge read low all the time. Only goes over 75-80 if you are at sat still.

On the plus side engine sounds so quiet. Am so used to listening for tapping etc

Might get a new MAF anyway as sure it's s but lumpy low down and maybe overfuelling a bit.

Nice one on passing the MOT.

After my rebuild it took a while for the coolant level to settle. How much are you loosing?

Happy to report coolant hasn't gone down after the 100 miles last night. Not started it yet but going for a drive soon. Feels nice to have a Sunday without having to be working on car all day.

Windscreen outer seal blow out the recess last night. Is ok down the sides but the whole top edge just comes out. Think my windscreen was fitted a little bit low. Just tried to glue it on with seam sealer (run out of silicone)

Think its all sorted now, coolant gauge seems to work now. Coolant isn't going down (done nearly 200miles over the weekend).

Couple of pic of the Audi sunvisors i fitted, needed a bit of bodging but got them in. Fitted the sunroof switch back for now, will look into a black one when i have more money.

20151004_151608.jpg

20151004_151546.jpg

20151004_151556.jpg

Yeah, its great to be using it again. Going to be a bit boring running it in though. Had some dick behind me in a range rover yesterday, driving right up my arse and revving the engine as if to say "get a move on" (was in a 30mph zone which took the ****)

Nothing new to report, have covered about 750miles now. Not really going to get much more on it until next year now.

I just seem to go out and clean the engine bay these days :lol:

20151203_191246-1.jpg

20151203_191420.jpg

Looks fantastic. The engine must absolutely purr and be lovely and quiet?

I took a video of it running from cold the other day. With all the posts of tappy sounds etc i thought i'd record mine to show they do make some noises and aren't perfectly quiet and purring like a modern car, its still a 20yr+ old engine design. Will upload it soon.

Looking good! Really should make the trip down to see you, and see the car in the flesh.

Certainly be an interesting watch.

Not very interesting really :lol: But you can notice a slight noise similar to the tapping. It was a lot louder before all the work, but its a totally new engine so must be normal.

Latest Update: Think some people already saw my posts about the engine problem, decided it has to be a bearing/something to do with bottom end. Got a bit fed up and just left the car for a couple of weeks.

So engine is coming back out again, going to give the whole lot to Stealth racing to look at and rebuild.

Got this far, could probably do this with my eyes shut now :lol:

20160430_195417.jpg

Been working on the body this weekend, sanding bits down again, i sort of rushed the painting to get it back on the road before the end of last year. I guess at least now i have time to do it properly, and its dry/warm instead of cold and damp.

Glad you are persevering with it mate. I know how disheartening engine issues can be after you've put a lot of money into it!

keep it up bro!!!! Will be worth it when the windows are down the suns out and your cruising along a empty road with no sound track other than the puuuuur of the vr... thats what keeps me going.