Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Not really got any further with the engine, not got any way to transport it any more, may rent a van or something.

So using the time to do the underside/sills again, stripping off the stuff i put on as i wasn't totally happy with it.

Took the ston echip off the seals, just going to paint them

20160523_205841.jpg

20160523_205932.jpg

Door shut needs painting and new sill covers

20160523_205917.jpg

And then back underneath, i must enjoy the pain of lying under the car and sanding upwards.

20160522_115350.jpg

20160523_205748.jpg

20160523_205716.jpg

Just doing one bit at a time now. rather than taking paint off everywhere and getting overwhelmed with it all.

I think i might look into getting a compressor and spray gun. Am sure i can convince a mate to build a spray booth in his workshop.

Probably not what you want to hear but I would advise that you paint everything that needs doing in one hit in order to get the colour match right. What else needs painting apart from the sill? What size compressor are you thinking of? I would also advise using an air fed mask if you plan to use 2k which will require a compressor that puts out at least 14cfm. Where shouts I Essex are you as I live in Essex and could help you out if you like.

Probably not what you want to hear but I would advise that you paint everything that needs doing in one hit in order to get the colour match right. What else needs painting apart from the sill? What size compressor are you thinking of? I would also advise using an air fed mask if you plan to use 2k which will require a compressor that puts out at least 14cfm. Where shouts I Essex are you as I live in Essex and could help you out if you like.

I was thinking of getting a setup from SGS engineering

Something like this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-spray-gun-kit

Although not going to do it just yet, am just going to rattle can the bits i've done for now.

Am Saffron Walden/Great Dunmow area. Am trying to find some decent sanding blocks at the moment, was looking at Durablock, but can't seem to find anyone selling it with it in stock or able to deliver quickly.

Haven't you finished it yet?!? :D Good solid car that. Good work!

Cheers, i'm mainly after making sure it has no rot/rust anywhere. Not finished yet as the weather turned damp again.

Managed to get some anti rust primer and then some hi build primer on last weekend, been sanding since that.

20160528_151731.jpg

I drilled the hole in the sill, so i can squirt the cavity wax in (in case anyone wondered)

20160527_202243.jpg

20160529_142022.jpg

Grey is the hi-build primer, which i've sanded back, ready to paint

20160529_143018.jpg

20160529_143006.jpg

20160529_142944.jpg

I was thinking of getting a setup from SGS engineering

Something like this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/air-compressors/semi-pro-diy/sc50h-50-litre-high-flow-air-compressor-spray-gun-kit

Although not going to do it just yet, am just going to rattle can the bits i've done for now.

Am Saffron Walden/Great Dunmow area. Am trying to find some decent sanding blocks at the moment, was looking at Durablock, but can't seem to find anyone selling it with it in stock or able to deliver quickly.

My brother used to live in little dunmow. Not that far away.

What do you plan to use as a respirator reason I ask is the compressor kit will only have enough power to run the spray gun. Also it will struggle to power air tools. But other than that its not a bad price.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet :lol: I think it'll end up being at least until next year before i think of doing a complete respray. I should really get a decent mask now though, as spraying the underside of car is bloody hard, its only a foot or so off the ground so am lying underneath it trying to spray upwards.

Do you know any decent online shops for that sort of stuff?

Cool! I would get some grey stripe under there where you've scraped the original rubbery stone chip stuff off personally, but otherwise it's looking sweet!

I was going to paint it body colour and lacquer underneath, then considered using that paint protection film on the sills etc

Cool! I would get some grey stripe under there where you've scraped the original rubbery stone chip stuff off personally, but otherwise it's looking sweet!

Hmm, just clicked on the 'grey stripe' thinking it was a link to underseal, but ended up on an ad for CK boxers.......

What is it Kev? I'd like to sort a few bits that have been scraped off my Underside soon and looking for something that has the same depth/consistency and texture as original. I don't want to use waxoyl which I've put on temporarily as it doesn't seem to harden.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-x-3M-Car-Body-Schutz-Black-Vehicle-Underseal-1lt-08861-Underbody-Coating-Gun-/111967423446?hash=item1a11c74bd6%3Ag%3A-lkAAOSwgApXDQx2&_trkparms=pageci%253A4531c850-29d2-11e6-b094-005056b01b86%257Cparentrq%253A182bdecb1550a2a300f5925bffffa757%257Ciid%253A9

This is the type of thing you need. You can get different textures to suit. Once its on primer over the top then paint. Waxoyl is designed to be sprayed into areas where paint cant get to to protect from corrosion but it isn't meant for external use and will give no protection from stones etc.

Dinitrol 447 is supposed to be the same as the factory stuff. It says it stays permanently elastic.

I've seen that on other posts, looks good, is it rubbery like the original stuff?

Almost finished wet sanding the bonnet with 1200grit

20160605_181558.jpg

Going to fill the chips and then sand it with 2000grit