herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

erm, they do indeed breath quite a bit, but they shouldnt collapse?

when you plant the throttle it should actually expand as the throttle body is opened and the air rushes in. It will contract when you lift off the throttle.

I noticed the 2.8 one did it a hell of a lot more than the 3.2 one.

Mine does definitely does that on agressive throttle usage.

I'd say that was petty respectable it can't be that far off if it can still make 278!

What ecu are you running, standard rempapped or after Market? Also where did

these other copied maps come from?

Just read your discription again and if it's fine up to 2k something odd is happening. Above idle and well before 2k both. Inlet an cam advance should both be active. As you say your torque is shooting up initially, as the mk5 does then it would seam the inlet and cam advance is working. Initially any way. Above 4k the inlet reverts back to normal and the cam advance tappers off back to no advance so this is probably why it's feeling normal after 4k. As such I would be looking at the map and it feels to me more like cam timing. If it's as drastic a difference as you suggest I doubt little difference the inlet makes would effect it that much.

You should be able to check the inlets working visually. If it's

moving ( at the right times!) then it's pretty certain it's working. It's a piece of plasitic=not much to got wrong. I've heard of them getting rattely and getting stuck but that about all that

could go wrong...

If your running oem ecu you should be able to vag com the duty cycle of the cam advance soleniod to check that's working. If you can/did(?) take a log of this while you did your runs it should be pretty straight forward to see what's working.

Keep us posted as it will be interesting to see what it was causing it.

Rob's was noticably deforming quite a lot when opening the throttle quickly, but sounds like it's normal then!

Pete Griffs used to move a lot. Was amazing to watch it, I can only assume that it will fatigue given time.

Any update on this....?

No nothing yet mate, just been driving it. I'm skint at the min so haven't got round to doing anything. Should hopefully get it sorted soon though.

Hey dude, I dare say i know exactly what is wrong with your engine.

I have bought an Audi A3 3.2 dsg, and it exhibits the same characteristics. To check that its the same problem as mine put the car in neutral and try and hold the revs at 2000rpm, if its the same issue as mine it will be impossible to hold it at that rpm.

basically the fault is with the rear sprocket locking pin, it wears its locating hole, and allows the exhaust cam to sit in a more retard resting position than it should, making the exhaust valves stay open fractionally after the inlet valves have started opening- this is good at high rpm, as the vaccuum pulls the mixture through, but at low rpm where cylinder fill is an issue, then unburnt mixture will just be pouring out the exhaust manifold.

the net effect is rough low to mid rpm running, and poor mpgs.

I thank you ;)

and yes the engine on my new audi that i bought because i was tired of working on cars, is in a million pieces on my garage floor lol

the irony is not funny!

That be a tasty bunch of info there Mr Laaad, well done :salute: :D

I'd be surprised (or would I?) if Rob's very young engine has that problem though, but I have heard of several issues with the R32 relating to it's cam / chain gear though :?

12V Turbo. It's the only way. Deep down you know simple = better :lol:

Inlet off, rocker cover off, undo the bolt remove sprocket, fit new sprocket.

sounds easy but its not lol

front panel will have to come off to get the inlet off, and so it goes on. Not a major job all things considered. How many miles does your engine have on it?

I am writing a letter to audi, as this is a major design flaw.

try and hold the revs at 2000rpm in neutral and you will see if its the same problem.

the sprocket is 300 quid from audi, and you will need a new stretch bolt with it.

the sprocket is 300 quid from audi, and you will need a new stretch bolt with it.

:epicfail:

Holy Schiite, WTF is it made of? Gold!

That might be the problem. Far too soft... :lol:

That might be the problem. Far too soft... :lol:

I heard it was Leprechaun leg bone.

Have a word with Pat McCrotch as he works for Audi. There is bound to be certain hoops you have to jump through in order to get a part redesigned for an engine that's "end of life".

Inlet off, rocker cover off, undo the bolt remove sprocket, fit new sprocket.

sounds easy but its not lol

front panel will have to come off to get the inlet off, and so it goes on. Not a major job all things considered. How many miles does your engine have on it?

try and hold the revs at 2000rpm in neutral and you will see if its the same problem.

:pale: I was hoping it would be a bit less than that! My engine has done around 7k now (supposedly!). I will have to check if I can hold the revs at 2k rpm in neutral, I think it can tbh but I'll check anyway.

ignore that last post - the new part is the same as the old one lol

what a weird piece of design. that slog in the locked cam sprocket basically means the cam will not time up properly according to the guide.

got to be right though. least you dont have to spend a fortune on a sprocket now.

ignore that last post - the new part is the same as the old one lol

what a weird piece of design. that slog in the locked cam sprocket basically means the cam will not time up properly according to the guide.

got to be right though. least you dont have to spend a fortune on a sprocket now.

Oh right! So what actually needs replacing then? Any pics of said problem on yours?

well i have done all my chains, there was definate stretch evident, so I have basically eliminated all possible problems with timing.

only thing left to try now, are coils, and another ecu!

well i have done all my chains, there was definate stretch evident, so I have basically eliminated all possible problems with timing.

only thing left to try now, are coils, and another ecu!

oh the joys of working on broken cars!!! :bonk:

sorry to hear the new ownership's not going too smoothly for you Ian, at least you'll know you won't have the revisit that area for a long time once you've got it sorted...