Sign in to follow this  
scoobyd00

Does a C still 'hamdle' on 17 inch alloys....

double-6s, are you interested in finding out the correct information for scoobyd00, or are you just picking fault in the way Eric had worded something. If your opinion differs, or his facts are incorrect, thats fine.. however, you may not know that although he can speak it better then a lot of people, English isn't erics first -or second- language. If hes said something technically inaccurate give the guy a break..

double-6s, are you interested in finding out the correct information for scoobyd00, or are you just picking fault in the way Eric had worded something. If your opinion differs, or his facts are incorrect, thats fine.. however, you may not know that although he can speak it better then a lot of people, English isn't erics first -or second- language. If hes said something technically inaccurate give the guy a break..

WTF?

Yeah I'm just having a go at someone cos english isn't their first language mate. What!!!! As if.

Read the thread and you will see I was making a perfectly valid point fella. I am simply stating that if you can feel the difference in acceleration purely down to the overall weight difference of the car, then I'm extremely suprised. Because strangely enough mate, thats what I thought he said!!!

Why are you just joining in to have a go then?

Jeez

*Mod Edit - Sorry mate, PM's are PM's! *

fair enough, but when the PM is related to the thread, is unsolicited and envolves other forum members it's only fair for other to see whats been written.

I've recieved an abusive PM this morning regarding this thread from double-6s and again, as i feel it's unwarrented, I don't see why it can't be added here.

Didn't realise that a seemingly subjective statement (given away by the fact that I used words like perceived etc. and stated that to get any really valid comparison results one would have to conduct far more accurate tests of accelaration etc. with same tyres, same car, same conditions all round bar one tiny aspect like alloys, which is something NONE of us have ever done - correct me if I'm wrong) could cause so much love for (sp)ham (?).

Anyway, as gsbellew has stated, and I quote: "Two things are going on there, lighter wheels are easier to turn, so they can be spun up quicker, for example, if wheel "A" spins up to x revolutions quicker than wheel "B" acceleration in a straight line on wheel "A" will be that bit quicker than wheel "B". " the 2 issues are related. Primarily, of course a smaller (and therefore often lighter, but not always as there are actually heavier 15" alloys out there than some 17", this is where I stated that I hadn't weighed any of my allotys other than that I had noticed a small difference in weight between the 17s and 16s on my C) wheel will accelerate quicker (angular acceleration), as the driveshafts outputting the same amount of torque will find less moment of inertia at their ends, hence resulting in quicker angular acceleration of the wheels (indeed a bit like lightened flywheels for those who've ever done that - my Mk1 has a lightened flywheel, where this principle is very noticable).

This in turn has to mean that your C will also accelerate quicker in a straight line (makes sense, doesn't it when you think about it), wheel accelerating quicker, hence putting the power onto the road quicker must mean quicker staright line acceleration.

BTW: Topic of "Putting shopping into the boot and not noticing the difference in straight line acceleration", I have noticed differences, perhaps not with shopping (where it would depend on how much, i.e. how much added weight), but stick in 3 other people and yes, I did notice a small difference, of course you would in any car, unless it's some 1000 bhp monster where the car's got so much power that it doesn't matter how much weight you throw into it.

Yes, there are issues of increased rolling resistance due to wider tyres (I went from 7" to 7.5"), but I still perceived quicker acceleration, the word being perceived as in "never timed myself" or "never did any scientifically valid tests". Hence from a pure subjective point of view I am pleased that I took the decision of going down to 16s, as most other C drivers will have found themselves, unless they have chosen a much heavier 16" alloy than the 17" alloy they might have been running before, or their own purely subjective perception has proven otherwise, again the keyword being perceived. Without real tests on a track with set conditions etc. this will never be provable in real scientific terms.

Tempest

does it also not depend on how powerfull your car is?

The inertia of the wheel increases the harder to try to accelerate it yes?

so the less power your car has, the less you will feel it ;-)

the morale of the story is, if you cant feel the change with 17s, then your car isnt powerful enough :lol:

Lol @ you Coxy :lol:

Ham on the bone is good, especially from Tesco's deli....yum.

Another thing 17s cause (in comparison to 15s) is a gyroscopic effect when cornering, so turn-in can feel less crisp.

What I've found is Corrados accelerate, handle and turn-in well on ANY size wheel that's 8kg or less. Once you exceed this weight, it can get a little scrappy round the corners and feel lethargic through the lower gears.

Another area that isn't addressed at all for road cars is tyre weight. Take an average steel belted 17" tyre. Most of them weigh the same, if not slightly more than the wheel itself....and the faster rated tyre you go for, the heavier it gets due to the extra steel belts required to keep it together at 186+mph.

This is why I never go for tyres faster than V rating (149mph).

But there you go..... there aren't any wrongs and rights in this game, it's all down to preference.....but reduced mass generally pleases 95% of drivers.

Are we all friends now - if I get the ham sandwiches in? :-)

Has double-6 been banned jah?

Anyway, I noticed quite a difference from going 17's to 15's. Yes. I am clever.

:rofl: I've just been reading through this thread, and I'm loving Walesy's work!!!!!

I find it a bit funny that people buy a cracking drivers car and then degrade it's drivability by lowering it ridiculously and putting mahoosive wheels on it. I'm not saying any of you are wrong or owt, far from it, but I far prefer having good hamdling and being able to drive the car hard than it "looking good"

This comment has nothing really to do with the rest of the thread.

I'm going away again now......

Keep up the good pork fellas!!

Oak smoked and mustard coming up :-)

A 17" wheel isn't mahooosive by current standards, in fact I'd say it's the only size wheel that proportionally suits the Corrado at all angles - imo.

Upsizing wheels is always a trade off, but as I keep bleating on, if you keep the unsprung weight to a minimum, the trade off is small, again, imo.

15s, although nice and give the Rado it's most agile feel will always limit your brake size to weedy little saucers.....and braking is one area the Corrado needs massively improving on.

Unlike some other VWs from that period of time, the C actually was designed quite optimally with the oem set-up (suspension and wheel sizes), so diverting from that optimum will mean trade-offs or complete down-grades in other departments (looks, handling :lol:, etc.).

Tempest

I find wheels and sizes etc... MAD!!!

Reading through the thread, I agree going bigger means you do loose in one hand but gain in others...

But look at cars like the E46 M3's.... Massive wheels, low profile tyres and handles excellent ?????? Confused!!!

BMW designed the car that way. It has bushing designed to cope with the harsher ride of the very low profile tyres so you don't feel it in the car as much. Plus the car weighs about 500kg more than the Corrado, so that helps to damp. Despite those wheels being very large, the ratio of sprung-unsprung mass is still similar because the car weighs a shed load.

If the VWs had been designed for 17" wheels we'd be having the same argument about whether or not it was reasonable to "upgrade" to 19" or not ...