Sign in to follow this  
vr6banana

twin engine Corrado 4X4. click link for new pics

Started by accident as I bought another 1.8t engine identical to the one I already had and it seemed rude not to use it. I bought the Corrado back and the boot floor which had been replaced by the previous owner (coxy) had to come out anyway as he’d fitted the late boot floor. So once the floor was cut back out it was too tempting not to go a little further and fit the spare engine in the back.

Started by trying to adapt the MK2 cage I had to stiffen the shell before fabricating the rear subframe pickup points. The cage had to be lowered because of the roof height of the Corrado and tilted slightly down at the front, it fitted nicely and almost touches the inside of the shell in all the right places

old boot floor on it's way out

DSC01063.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

starting to fit the cage

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01100.jpg

DSC01101.jpg

start to weld it in after making the new feet

DSC01104.jpg

DSC01106.jpg

DSC01075.jpg

then start and cut the vents in the rear panel for the rear rad and coolers

DSC01086.jpg

Sounds like a good project,plenty of work to do! How will you syncro the gearbox linkages together?

What did you do with the boot floor? Was it the syncro boot floor? Do you want to sell it and the axel ect?

start of the rear subframe mountings

DSC01145.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

DSC01152.jpg

cut out the old top mounts and fit MK2 fronts

DSC01169.jpg

Strengthen the rear towers with 3mm plate curved round the towers

DSC01171.jpg

Sounds like a good project,plenty of work to do! How will you syncro the gearbox linkages together?

What did you do with the boot floor? Was it the syncro boot floor? Do you want to sell it and the axel ect?

rear axle has gone with the arms, it was fitted with 5std drive flanges so it may not have been any good for you + the boot floor had to be cut into sections to remove it... sorry

gearbox's linked to one leaver (pics to follow when it's done) twin box's with same ratio's and codes + 2x peolquins C/O Mr Phatski :D

vr6banana, Looking very good, just out of curiousity what do you do for a living?

Own a small garage in Sheffield, that’s why the work is so slow, need to fit it around all the other work :(

well good luck with it, it looks amazing so far.

I only wish I had those kind of skills and facilities.

rear rad sat on it's mounts

DSC00023.jpg

took 1" out of the VR rear tower to sit the engine level

DSC01311.jpg

twin fans move an incredible amount of air, I’ll never use std VW fans again

DSC01183.jpg

rear inner qtrs removed to fit the fuel tanks :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :)

DSC01382.jpg

x member and an upper cage brace for the harnesses

DSC00404.jpg

...... and the engine

lower platform for the fire wall, the floor under the rear seats is like the north sea so this gives it a nice flat section

DSC00418.jpg

'top hat' section to give clearance for the harness on the next upper brace bar once the ally firewall is fitted

DSC01387.jpg

brace from the cage to shell + on right is the top ic mount

DSC00756.jpg

Holy mother of god...more updates needed.

Dont worry about the other work you have to do. Just leave it and work on this. Its fa more important.

Awesome!

Even two standard TT engines gives a 450bhp car :-)

Didn't MTM do a "Bimoto TT", but with two 400hp TT engines?! Evo drove it and said it was the most brutal acceleration they'd experienced at the time, LOL!

yep mtm bimoto tt was a piece of kit - the acceleration must have been unreal

dumb ass question, does each engine drive each axle or is the power put down through 4wd?

Awesome!

Even two standard TT engines gives a 450bhp car :-)

Didn't MTM do a "Bimoto TT", but with two 400hp TT engines?! Evo drove it and said it was the most brutal acceleration they'd experienced at the time, LOL!

One engine is an 03 plate MK4 and the other an Octavia 1.8T, identical, one mapped by Jabba and one by JBS, both claim 235bhp but I think it’s a little optimistic. About 440 to 470 bhp as they are :D :D :D

Each engine drives each axle. I would imagine traction would be incredible if there was an LSD in each gearbox.

Pair of Peloquins courtesy of Phatty :D

Nutter!! :lol: Awsome project, cant wait to see this one finished!! Good work!! 8)

lol just trying to figure out how you would go about insuring it!!!!