Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Could I have your opinion please...

Right. My corrados gone, and i thought i would ask you guys and gals, about your opinion with Golfs.

Ive got a little bit to spend, and have found 2 choice cars. Both are same price, both are black, have 3 doors, and are about the same distance away, but in opposite directions.

One is a Mk2 16v Golf GTI, the other is a Mk3 Golf 2.0 GTI.

it will be a daily driver, and i would do a few mods, but nothing drastic.

I really cant decide between the two, so was hoping for a couple of opinions. Opinions not being, "neither, get a corrado!"

I know its a corrado forum, but theyre all from the same family! :-P

Thanks.

Nick :D

Mk3 if you like a modern well built interior, Mk2 if you'd like to feel some performance under your foot and can live with the ugly dash shell...

I like the Mk3 more than I ever did since my mate got hold of a nice colour concept in Black - much better build quality than a C of the same age inside 8)

I had a go in a 2.0 GTI MK3 the other day and i was pleasently suprised with it. Quite a weighty car to do drive unlike some other more modern cars than Corrados.

I didnt think there was much in it power wise between the golf and my old 2.0 16v rado..

The mk2 is a way better looking car though, youll just loose some of the modern benefits.

IMO i dont think you can go wrong with either...

mk3 build is amazing! mine has no rattles, squeaks, or any sort of noises coming from it. but i hear the 8v's are a bit slow, whereas like Phil K says, the Mk2 is more fun to hack around in but is more rough around the edges....

If you want fun, the 16v Mk2's the one, but it's an old car now... the Mk3 is nice enough, just a bit sluggish by comparison, better built though.

i've got a mk3 GTi 2.0 8v, yeah it's not as fast as a 16v, but tbh as a daily driver the fuel economy is good around 35mpg, and is quite torquey for overtaking.... plus the engine is bomb proof.... plus you can pick up good condition 8v's for a grand now with 100k or os on the clock...

My house mate has an ibiza GTi 2.0 16v and thinks its pretty good too....

If it's sound, I'd go for the Mk2, no question. There's a reason why people say that the Mk3 didn't deserve the GTi badge. Mark 2s are just brilliant, nippy, chuckable things. Mk3s, with respect, are none of those things. If you want something to just amble around in though, the Mk3 probably makes more sense. I'm biased cos I also have a tweaked Mk2 8-valve, but I really can't see the appeal of the Mk3. Ugly things they are too.

A Mk3 valver would probably be a good compromise if you can find one.

tbh as a daily driver the fuel economy is good around 35mpg

hehe just come back from the garage to see how my corrado is doing, and got 34MPG out of my supercharged VR6 golf!! and i didnt drive it like a granny either! NOW THATS ECONOMY!!!

Like everyone else is saying, the build quality seems a million miles apart in favour of the mk3, i've had both but the mk3 was the 8v which was fine as an everyday car, never had a scrap of bother at all from it, mind saying that i did'nt from the mk2 either, my preference would be a mk3 especially you've remembered its the 16v :wink:

I would recomend the Mk2. Both cars are great motors and both can hold their own if you know what i mean. However the Mk3's are renowned for problems relating to the standard alarms fitted to them. Alot of people i know who have had them all say they would not have another Mk3 because of this!

Basicaly the alarm malfunctions and will lock you out of the car! Which then means calling RAC or AA for a trailer ride to you local VW main dealer. Who will then charge you an arm and a leg to get into your motor and re programme your alarm and change your barrels(doors and igniton) However if you prefer the look of the Mk3 and your a mechnic or know some one who works at VW then go for it.

Finaly as a women i find the Mk2 a more sexy looking motor. It will cost you less, their great on fuel, reliable and will do you right!

Hope you make the right choice for you, but i know which motor i would take home! 8) :lol:

tbh as a daily driver the fuel economy is good around 35mpg

hehe just come back from the garage to see how my corrado is doing, and got 34MPG out of my supercharged VR6 golf!! and i didnt drive it like a granny either! NOW THATS ECONOMY!!!

:lol: :lol: that is economy... but i don't think the mpg reader will be telling the truth somehow? or am i wrong?

Mk3 all the way given that its a 16v. The best 16v engine that VW have made in the Mk3. Very good daily hack with a bit of "go". Build quality is better to boot!

Mk2! I've just sold an 8v gti and it was awesome, i can't say i definitely wouldn't have another one even now i have a vr6. Dad has a 16v though and they are fun pieces of kit. Mk2 over mk3 any time i'd say.

haven't driven a mk3 gti to be honest but i did have a 1.9 d mk3 as my 1st car, and having driven mk2's since, i know which i'd rather drive down a twisty road.

mk2 8V for me. Cheap enough now, so even the good examples are cheap to get hold of. Can expect 40mpg too, AND a bahn brenner supercharger is only £1500.

I would go for a Mk2 8 valver. I had one for three years and loved every minute. On the other hand I had a Mk3 8 valver for less than a month as I was bored of it within a week.

I'd have the mk2 mate. Had 2 mk2 gti's so far and great bits of kit. Just make sure its in good condition and been looked after. Later one if poss and you'll be really happy with it.

As a beside point, the mk2 gti 16V had a power to weight ratio of 150bhp per ton, a feat only matched 20 years later when they released the mk5gti. it's a living legend for a reason! 8)

stop stop stop! I'm starting to miss the mk2 8v golf i just sold now!

good run home from banbury today though, gotta keep remembering it! insane overtaking ability.

Another vote in favour of the Mk2 here (suprise :-) ), for a number of reasons. Aesthestics played a large part in my choice in that I simply don't like the look of the Mk3 as much. The build quality may well be better in the Mk3, but it never really had the same edge in terms of perfomance & handling as the Mk2.

I like the way EVO sum up the Mk2 16v; 5 Stars.

+ Quite simply the best Golf GTi ever

- We'd be splitting hairs.

:-)

P.S The GTD's no slouch either 8)

I never liked the MK3.

I still miss my MKII to this day. It felt like you were actually driving a car.

i would go with the MKII. Understated cool car.