Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

Despite getting stuck and about giving up with it all, you cracked on, kept faith, continued to work hard and now you are an inspiration!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Really happy for you. :)

Lol. Cheers. It's quite weird not having to work on the car every day now. Today, I worked on the car.... :lol: Changed the gearbox oil for some new (cheap) semi synthetic, and I'm glad I did, the cheap stuff I'd thrown in had picked up a lot of detritus. The gearbox was a gamble, and it seems it's not one I've won. I think the layshaft bearings are shot. Nevermind. Changed the engine oil too just for good measure.

Done >800 miles now in under 2 weeks. Tank full to tank full on V power it's done 29mpg, I hope the new injectors improve this figure, but I'm not holding my breath.

Put another tank of V power in tonight. Going to see how that goes, then a couple of tanks of Tesco 99 Octane, then a couple of tanks on normal unleaded with octane booster, just to see what happens...

Toad's my hero :camp:

:luvlove:

Tom, amazing work, just re-read this.. reember you saying you's bought this and for how little.. and seeing it at Brands...

Total transformation... so back a few pages when you said teh Halfords paint was right but the car's paint wasn't? What colour did it turn out to be?

TBH. The paintwork is still shit. :(

Been driving the 16v today.

Made my mind up as to what I need to do to it...

New wishbone bushes, new bottom ball joints, new steering rack bush, new engine mounts, new rear axle bushes, new ISV, new rotor arm, new distributor cap, new front disks and pads. Just get it all nice and tidy, and driving well again, and then think about the ABF turbo engine. TBH, I really, really enjoyed driving it today, there's a bit of flop from the bushes, but I really enjoy driving it, more so than the VR. Just feels "right".

ABF turbo engine

DO IT!

:D

Can't decide if I want to do one of these next or a 16v G60. Lucy wants me to build her a clipper though so should really do that I suppose.

ABF turbo engine

DO IT!

:D

Can't decide if I want to do one of these next or a 16v G60. Lucy wants me to build her a clipper though so should really do that I suppose.

I'd second that! I quite fancy the idea of turboing my ABF!

Decided that it's still not finished, so the 16v is having to wait a little longer. Had issues with injectors, so I have a second set of cleaned injectors coming, plus hopefully a new fuel rail and FPR, going to change the pump, filter and injectors. Still with Mic's injectors in it covered another 700 miles, and converted a few people to the noise of a VR... :)

Drove the 16v home tonight. Can really feel the difference in the efficiency of 280 and 288mm brakes. Got a bit too used to the 288s... :lol:

Were you not tempted to monster truck the tractor over it? :lol: Tho I think your dad might have had something to say about that...

:) Actually the bulkhead remained quite strong. I think there may have been a bit of a bump when I hit that. :lol:

Looks like you had a fair amount of weight in the back there dude :lol: looks fantastic though! :clap:

3 men and all our luggage, plus tools, jacks etc. TBH, it is bloody low, probably 10-20mm lower than Dukests car for example.

can i see a slight smile on your dads face as he was binning that Corrado?

Good to see the VR in motion fella.

Cheers!

He did get more enjoyment when he had to lift the shell out, cut it in half legnthways and then the rear section in half widthways to make it all fit.

Looking forward to the cheque for the scrap now!

Been thinking about what work I have done to the car and the new bits that were fitted.

Here's what I've remembered (Admittedly some parts were fitted by Pete_Griff before I bought the parts from him)

New TT wishbone bushes

New ball joints

New Powerflex front subframe bushes

New track rod/track rod ends

Refurbished steering rack

Refurbished power steering pump

Koni T/As, Pi springs

Powerflex rear bushes

Eibach rear ARB

New VAG disks all round

Front VAG pads

Rear greenstuff pads

New ABS sensors all round

New ABS cables at front

New front wheel bearings

New rear wheel bearings

New powerflex front cross member bushes

Vibratechnics engine front mount

Mk2 diesel gearbox mount

New VAG rear engine mount

Secondhand gearbox

Replaced existing clutch

new VAG clutch fork

New VAG release bearing

New clutch slave cylinder

New release arm pivot bolt

New gearbox oil

New Sump Gasket

New crankshaft seal

New oil pump

New timing chains & tensioners

New Schimmel 263 cams

New tappets

Magnecor leads

New Cam position sensor and pick up ring

New thermostat housing, and thermostat

New Main water pump

New GruvenParts crack pipe

New GruvenParts radiator elbow

New head to heater matrix pipe

Working Aux water pump

New pattern radiator

New semi synthetic gear oil

Cleaned injectors

New fuel rail

New FPR

New BMC CDA

New battery

New Alternator

DG Autotech fan bracket and Revotech fans

Refurbished wheels

New Rainsport on the front, my old rainsports on the back

Large pack of damplifier throughout

Completely rewired speakers.

Really enjoyed driving the VR today mate - it drives really really nicely and really reflects the amount of effort and new bits that have gone on it. Rattle free interior, tight balanced steering, and a really REALLY smooth torquey (and sweeeeet sounding) VR6. Absolutely superb. Really as nice as any of the VR's (like 2cc's, etc) I've driven!

Really enjoyed driving the VR today mate - it drives really really nicely and really reflects the amount of effort and new bits that have gone on it. Rattle free interior, tight balanced steering, and a really REALLY smooth torquey (and sweeeeet sounding) VR6. Absolutely superb. Really as nice as any of the VR's (like 2cc's, etc) I've driven!

Cheers dude. Means a lot. It's nice to get a few opinions about it.

I know I need to sort out a rattle in the rear trim, and I'd like to get my hands on a Shrick at some point in the near future, just to help low down torque. Really should stop fiddling with it though....

i'm glad the car is feeling together now Tom. also glad i could save you the hasstle of refurbing all your own kit - it's amazing the amount of difference having all newrunning gear makes isn't it!

glad to see you're finally starting to enjoy it for what it is :D

Cheers guys.

Have just ordered a new fuel filter and spark plugs, intend to spend the weekend changing the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, and fitting a nice new FPR, fuel rail and a set of cleaned injectors.

I'm also going to buy some sections of silicone hose and replace the broken pipe between the PCV valve and inlet tubing. Fed up with it leaking and causing a smell. :mad2:

Made a new pipe up between the PCV and inlet trunking from 2 45 degree 1 inch inside diameter silicone hoses this weekend. Not 100% happy with it, think I might buy 2 90 degree 15/16th hoses and try again.

Didn't start any of the other work, not recieved some parts yet, and I've been pretty knackered from work this weekend.

Tom, that is a comprehensive list of changes, you have been a busy man..

Fair play to you, bet it drives very nicely..