Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Toads 16v and VR6 of doom.

It did indeed, no advisories which is always a bonus

He's been too busy driving it all day to post on here I think!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

c'mon toady - post up and let us all know how your day went and how happy you are!...

hows my running gear etc all holding out for you; should be nice and "TOIGHT!" - as much as a tiger anyway...

really pleased for you it's passed - must be a lovely change driving a "proper" corrado around for a change! :norty:

Fecking awesome. A credit to you Tom that literally a few months ago the car was basically stripped and looking sorry for itself in a shed and with a few months of hard graft you've got it together and through an MOT.

A+ on your report card mate - really well done :)

Bloody hell, didn't expect this sort of interest. :shock:

Cheers Walesy. I am pleased with it. The paintwork is by far the weakest of the things I've done to it so far, and that really showed up after it had rained a bit today.

Well.....

Up early to collect the car to take to work, and the first thing I see is the ABS light stuck on. :mad2: VAGCOM woudn't clear it either, so I was prepared to take the wiring out the back of the light when I got into work. As soon as I got there it magically cleared itself. :D

Took it to the MOT bay at 8.15 and they started straight away. I sat there watching for the entire process and became more and more nervous, especially when they spent a lot of time around the compensator valve, and fiddling with one rear wheel with a slightly binding caliper. I was most nervous about the emissions, especially as the dubious running continued.

After an hour of fiddling and prodding and nudging, the tester came over and told me it had passed! :clap: No advisories, and he was massively complimentary about the car and the condition of it. :D

Took it for a run up to Micheldever tyres where they reset the camber and tracking and put the steering wheel on straight (which I didn't expect from them....) The drive home was great. The tracking had been so far out that the car had felt awful to drive, but now it's got a nice weight to the steering and it self centres happily. She seems to pull well despite the idling problems, and made short work of a couple of cars driven by doddery old people on the way home.

Nipped in to the post office and picked up 6 months tax (£104.50 :( ) so I've spent about £220 today.... And now I'm going to go out and just drive the car, find out what it's really like, get the brakes bedded in, and look at the firmness of the suspension. :)

Bloody hell, didn't expect this sort of interest. :shock:

guess that's what you get for being such a loveable character! :luvlove: :wink:

glad you're happy pal. i had a drive in a rado on the weekend for the first time in a while - very nostalgic moment for me.

i miss my corrado

at least my new car is still putting a smile on my face :)

Congrats mate, you've put in some seriously hard work in with that car and now you can reap the rewards. Dead chuffed for you.

Has highlighted how slack i've been with my own car though.... :( :lol:

Looking forward to seeing it in a few week hopefully. Top work chap! :salute:

Cheers guys :oops:

Mic, you've not been slack. I've been useless at everything else for the last 2 months. This car completely consumed me for ages. I've been rubbish with mates, forgotten to do all sorts etc. Being a hideous loner meant I could get away with it. But you might have been looking at a rather rapid divorce... :tongue:

Anyway, been exploring the car a bit, 160 miles in to our relationship... Not 100% on the brakes, might look for some better pads, and rebleed them again... Tyres have scrubbed in, and ARB is awesome...

Took it for a really hard run last night with my mate Lucie in the car (and she had a go with it) went well, clung to the road nicely, but sadly managed to get a large chip in the windscreen when I met a car which flung a stone up. Anyway... these things happen. :)

Took Snowflake out for a very quick run tonight and really felt the benefit of the ARB on a roundabout. It is amazing. Nothing else to say really. :)

Hopefully I'll get the chip fixed this weekend.

Nice one mate. :D

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about being consumed by your car. I'm at that stage now. I spend ages staring at the huge list of parts planning my next move. Or organising the mountain of bits in the old stable I've taken over to store everything and rebuild my engine in. Lucy isn't happy and is looking forward to it being finished as much as I am! :lol:

sounds good tom, you'll have to have a drive down and show me this... plus can sort you out a great price on some ebc pads :D

which ARB's are you using as i am in the market for some new ones ?

and great thread by the way and congrats on getting an MOT it feels good to get one after all the hard work you put in .. :D

Nice one mate. :D

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about being consumed by your car. I'm at that stage now. I spend ages staring at the huge list of parts planning my next move. Or organising the mountain of bits in the old stable I've taken over to store everything and rebuild my engine in. Lucy isn't happy and is looking forward to it being finished as much as I am! :lol:

I've still got piles of parts to move/sell, and the scrappers to get rid of. Don't get completely lost in the car! Tits > Cars. Don't forget...

sounds good tom, you'll have to have a drive down and show me this... plus can sort you out a great price on some ebc pads :D

:) Sorry I've not called you back since the other night. Will pull my finger out my bum, I promise! If you could let me know how much a set of Red Stuffs for a Mk3 VR (late - 288mm disks) are, I'd be grateful.

which ARB's are you using as i am in the market for some new ones ?

and great thread by the way and congrats on getting an MOT it feels good to get one after all the hard work you put in .. :D

Cheers! I've got an Eibach rear ARB, and standard front. Got Konis and Pi springs on too.

no probs ill look into it dude, no worries on calling me back, still waiting on pics of this storm. and apologies again for disturbing you in france..

no probs ill look into it dude, no worries on calling me back, still waiting on pics of this storm. and apologies again for disturbing you in france..

No problem! I was wondering what was occuring with the Storm. Cheers Andy!

Tits > Cars. Don't forget...

As if I'm going to forget that! :lol: Have you seen my thread recently?...

:) Delicious Tits.

Got the stone chip repaired today, and took the 16v back to have it's screen sorted. :D

Did a few more miles in her, currently trying a tank of normal 95 octane unleaded with a can of Octane booster in it, compared to a tank of super unleaded just to see what happens really.

Can't quite decide what to do with the suspension. Softening it has made it better generally, but it hopped unpleasantly across the road this evening.

Also got on and fitted the A pillar trims properly, hoovered the car completely out, removed all the leaves from the scuttle tray, drove it about a bit. etc.

This is turning into a bit of a random ramble but, meh.

Really been in two minds about the VR, not happy with it on several levels. Got a few things I want to change, and a few things I'm disappointed with, but, I think I've actually realised, that it's never going to be perfect, and I should just play to it's strengths and enjoy the bloody car.

Met up with Tekara, Pete_Griff and KIPVR this evening, and went to look at Kip's car, it is absolutely immaculate. Really really impressive work, and really enjoyed poking around the workshop full of various Japanese vehicles. :luvlove:

Chris drove my car back while I had a go with Pete's Evo. 2 things arose from this, firstly, my VR goes well. :D Secondly, the Evo is absolutely FUCKING HAMAZING! So quick, so solidly planted, was a real eye opener going out in it, still struggled to keep up with Chris on his home turf though. Rally seriously thinking that I should have just broken the VR and bought a Mitsubishi....

Had some really positive comments about the car, which I'm really flattered by, which made me come to the prior conclusion, plus the fact that I explored it's limits a bit more on my way home... :wink:

Cheers guys...

This is turning into a bit of a random ramble but, meh.

Really been in two minds about the VR, not happy with it on several levels. Got a few things I want to change, and a few things I'm disappointed with, but, I think I've actually realised, that it's never going to be perfect, and I should just play to it's strengths and enjoy the bloody car.

Cheers guys...

Couldn't agree more! Good to catch up with you again Tom! Really enjoyed my blast in your car, my first drive in a Corrado VR6 for nearly two years! It was a lot quicker than I remember mine being! I think you should keep both on the road, then you can be fixing one up whilst driving the other, and appreciating each for their own quirks :grin:

Thanks for the drive pal :D

Couldn't agree more! Good to catch up with you again Tom! Really enjoyed my blast in your car, my first drive in a Corrado VR6 for nearly two years! It was a lot quicker than I remember mine being! I think you should keep both on the road, then you can be fixing one up whilst driving the other, and appreciating each for their own quirks :grin:

Thanks for the drive pal :D

Was a good evening! Cheers for your thoughts on the car. Really made me appreciate it a bit more...

Fitted a set of injectors which I've had cleaned to it tonight, and finished refitting all the engine covers and plastics. Going to drain the engine and gearbox oil tomorrow as I've covered about 650 miles, and want to make sure any contaminents are out of her.

Washed the 16v last weekend and left it at my parents, came to drive it home tonight, and the brakes were well stuck on, the handbrake is feeling slightly seized, and the stereo won't work. Think it's trying to teach me a lesson! Will give her a good blast this weekend and try to use it a bit more over the coming weeks.

Despite getting stuck and about giving up with it all, you cracked on, kept faith, continued to work hard and now you are an inspiration!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Really happy for you. :)