zak

blackberry vr... 17" rs199's

Zak the car looks simply sublime on the rebuilt RS. I have just bought back the black set of RS 301s I built with the dishes on the rear the same as yours making them 8x17. Whilst they still look great in black you can't beat the factory fresh look of bright silver so I think they may be due a redo. I've had several previous attempts with powdercoat, all failed too much product meant the front and rear dishes wouldn't fit up properly and the threads on the centre cap prevented the caps fitting. Was resigned to a paint solution until I noticed your post. Can you let me know how you got on please? Thanks

Cheers Gareth seems like you're building your collection back up :)

I didn't have any issues with the powder coating stopping the dishes or barrels going on but that was because i was very specific about what i wanted masked off before the coat was applied. The same goes for the centre threads that the nut screws in to, that was masked off too. But i do think if i was do to them again i would get them painted rather than powder coated. Few reasons for this:

1. I wouldn't be comfortable getting my centres blasted too many times

2. Due to the nature of powder coat it is quite difficult to get the centre plates and the centres of the wheels to match. This is becuase the centre plate is much thinner and you can heat it and cool it faster where as the centre of the wheel requires the heat to be applied for longer and you end up with a darker shade.

3. From what i have been told powder coat loses its gloss over time.

Despite the above points wet painting the wheels is also not straight forward, getting an even coat all over and within the nooks and crannies is no easy task especially without runs in the paint. I have a few tins of the oe bbs wheel paint that i got with some wheels i bought a few years ago so may try using that next time i undertake a refurb.

Everthing you say confirms my experience with powdercoating the RS. Think I might as well try for the factory finish BBS silver. Just wondered as they sell it as paint weere they originally wet painted? Either way that seems the route I must take, but no more messing with colours silver it is!

gold.jpg

Gareth - Not sure how the original finish was applied but it is very nice just have to look at Alan W's set on e38. Silver is defo the way forward

Chris - He uses a makita rotary on the metal panels and a porter cable da on the plastic panels as they heat up quickly. Both used with menzerna polishes to good effect.

update on the car rs's will finally be coming off next weekend as i'm too busy to keep on top of the maintenance required in this weather. I have some interesting rc's to go on :)

Looking at these pics is making me, for the first time, NEED another Corrado in my life...

Absolutely stunning car...

Zak the cars absolutely stunning - I was inches away from doing a deal on a certain set of RS301s I think you know about but decided to sell the corrado.

I will have to buy myself something monstrous to forget about corrados. Anyway thanks for the advice youve given me whilst I had my rado its was much appreciated.

Oh and a late Eid Mubarak - hope you had a good one.

Take it easy - Omar

No cosmetic changes, just the wheels... i'm running on some bbs rc's at the moment. Apart from that the usual upkeep of a daily driver :) I'l get some pics up now the weathers better

your photos of the rs's have caused me a financial headache :lol:

the car looks stunning! well done :salute:

my bbs have to go up for sale now so i can fund some rs's

No cosmetic changes, just the wheels... i'm running on some bbs rc's at the moment. Apart from that the usual upkeep of a daily driver :) I'l get some pics up now the weathers better

What do you do to improve on perfection :grin:

What happened with the 263's in the end mate?