tim20vt

fully rebuilt 20vt

Nice work on the wheel chief!

thanks for the tunnel mate, can get that trimmed up now cheers

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

embossed the vw logo on to the leather by soaking it then g clamping a flip flop to it for 24 hours.

DSC_0113.jpg

been fitting all the dash and wiring/connecting everything in the doors etc

DSC_0114.jpg

pattern to trim tunnel parts.

DSC_0103.jpg

not long till mot time waiting for new tanks/bottles battery cover from vw to finsh the engine bay off.

DSC_0112.jpg

Edited by tim20vt

nice skills with the leather, how did you learn it, was trying myself in the past with ugly results :(

thanks mate! just bought a machine and stitched shed loads of card board i realy struggled with the speed it stitches at,it was a few years ago now when i got it so any work i do now is far better so i went back round alot of it again,i guess its just practice but to be honest i dont realy enjoy it.

watched how to do the wheel on you tube

great skills. Could you post the youtube video, i also have a steering wheel i want to re-cover.

great skills. Could you post the youtube video, i also have a steering wheel i want to re-cover.

il find it for you,i still stitched all the way round with the machine and just joined them all by hand ,i bet it would take a while if your going to do it all by hand.

collected a few more bits yesterday to get the engine bay cleaned up.

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

link for steering wheel

Edited by tim20vt

tim, my hat is off to you mate. That is some amazing set of skills you have! You can do mine when your finished yours :lol:

Out of interest which engine code did you get the drive by cable throttle body from?

thanks mate i realy fancy restoring a 100% stock storm next to go with this one i just need somewhere to put it,il do yours after that :) but at the rate i get them done it will probably be another 10 year.

the throttle body came from qpeng who did the ecu so i cant tell you what its from but im sure they would tell you.

cheers

nearly finished

sat waiting for its new wheels and tyres so it can go for mot,fingers crossed it passes once they turn up.

IMAG0017.jpg

its failed its mot on emissions everything else was fine but im struggling to sort it,

i think its running pretty rich the plugs look that way there isnt many sensors on a qpeng loom anyway,

i fit 4 new coil packs,plugs and temp sensor that only leves the lambda probe i think.

it has a cat on that got it through its mot last time,i then took it off so thats as new.

does anyone understand this fail sheet is it running realy rich? its not using oli or water and no exhaust smoke but i can hear it missing a bit.

the mot fail sheet says

engine speed 2450-2850

limit reading

co max 0.30% 0.71% fail

hc max 200ppm 315ppm fail

lambda 0.97-1.03 0.98 pass

second fast idle is very similar

natural idle test

engine speed 750-1050

co max 0.50% 7.95% fail

could it be a faulty lambda probe? any ideas.

cheers

my black 1.8T running qpeng never pass emission tests, new lambda doesn't help and mot tester gave up and gave me a green page :) had a cat fitted as well.

at its last mot it failed so i fit the cat and it passed,im wondering if its just because it hasnt been run i was driving it before mot and it seems fine pulls strong etc.

i dont understand the numbers on the mot sheet,is it just a bit off passing or miles? i could try sum fuel system cleaner?

its annoying the rest is sorted and drives spot on but i need to get the mot so i can tax it.

How old is the fuel? Fuel loses RON pretty quickly if left in the tank I beleive. Fill it with some 99 RON and take it for a good blast on the way to the test station and it should help a bit.

If you have a friendly MOT tester he may be willing to test it as an unclassified engine. If you've had an engine transplant and there is no engine code easily visible, say on the rocker cover, they CAN test it on the 3% figure instead of the 0.3%

The natural Idle CO at 7.95% seems very high to me though.

its failed again after a new lambda it will pass the hc test but co is still high,its only dropped a little.

did injector cleaner,shell vmax and gave it a good blasting.

it seems its main over fueling is at idle.

:( :(

Edited by tim20vt

mot passed :-)

turned out to be a slight dead spot on the throttle pot,so many a part later its passed.

i realy wanted a paintless dent removal guy to come and get some tiny marks out of the doors i missed when i painted it,i guess they were just too small for me to feel or see but they could be easy removed,this will have to wait now i spent so mutch on bits i dint realy need,the downside of no vag com.

few bits left to sort,if anyone has a go at a headliner covering make sure you use heat resistant contact adhesive,i didnt and the roofliner fell off when the sun got the roof hot.

now need my wheels 20 days late so far.

still many bits to do but thats it till winter going to get some miles done in it.

IMAG0044.jpg

zorst could do with a polish

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

good stuff you got it sorted, cars an absolute credit to you - its cleaner underneath than mine is anywhere!

few bits left to sort,if anyone has a go at a headliner covering make sure you use heat resistant contact adhesive,i didnt and the roofliner fell off when the sun got the roof hot.

i did that to, wasnt impressed when it was drapped over my seats one morning!

top work mate :)

good stuff you got it sorted, cars an absolute credit to you - its cleaner underneath than mine is anywhere!

thanks mate

finaly got my wheels im not so sure on them yet but i think its a bit of an improvement on the fake bbs ones what do ya think?

just took it to get tracked and they couldnt get the tracking gauges on it at kwick fit they say its too low so i will have to wind it up i think the coilovers are starting to settle in.

just finishing the final interior bits.

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

I LOOOOOOOOOVE the wheels Tim, fantastic stuff what are they? Look like Compo's or Ronal turbos but the fit isn't quite like I'm used to.

Top work mate just been through it all. Weels look great too :cool:

I'll pm you part numbers for the battery covers after I've been back to the dealers tomorrow...