tim20vt

fully rebuilt 20vt

bout £250 for a machine yea ebay or freeadds needs to be a walking foot one i tryed a normal one but youd struggle to do the over stitching and you cant use a heavy enough thread,the hides are 60 quid ish each or ya can get it per sq ft depends what hide ya want realy, i mite use say 5 so i can sell the machine on after so its a fair bit cheaper than havin it done, i also like to try do everthing myself instead of sending it for doin, you can get hides on ebay i just got the suede there and spray glue.

and then just practice lots of it and drive around in a stripped out car with one seat for a few month bit noisey but with only one seat its alot faster :)

the funny bit is by the time i finish the last part i recon if i did it all agin i could get it all perfect ends up like an addiction im just gunna go back and do a bit of body work again next .

the problem with doin anything yourself is ya notice all the imperfections lol.

thats looking great as good if not better than my factory leather!!!

do you fancy doing my dash when youve done???

cheers gettin there slowly.

if i do the dash and it comes out well il save the patterns.

i struggle for time at the mo but when its finished if it looks right i may beable to help you out mate.

made a start on the front cards so the interior is nearly there now :)

15032009092.jpg

then i got the offer of a good nick audi 80 at a price i had to buy so now thats it as a daily driver for the rado, so iv decided to get it all sorted so i took the engine out this morn and started to clean all the bay down ready for a change of colour and get the subframes off and cleaned up so now im gunna do a full rebuild on the rest of it.

shud give me time to get the dash out now and trim that along with the brakes iv got sat around.

still tryin to decide what colour to paint it :?

15032009090.jpg

15032009091.jpg

NICE WORK MATE are you going all smooth in the bay or a nice tidy up what brakes you got.,? :wave:

i dont think im gunna smooth the bay out im gunna get rid of a few unused holes but i dont wanna relocate the battery washer bottle etc,so il leave the bay smoothin to you :D hows yours goin was looking good when i saw it?

just got a set of g60 brakes for now my 16v ones were nowt like upto stopping it.

i had a cheap battery leak acid and so the tray realy needs a repaint and so do the subframes so was as easy to whip the engine out.

still cant decide what colour to paint it:?

ha ha any exuse to strip them down...

mines going well should be painted by end of week,will update thred later.keep up the good work,think it looks good in the colour it is or maybe aubergine??

well now iv finaly got the dash out so im gunna start to retrim that.

also started the worse job off all taking the glass out bonded windows are a right pain but now its changing colour they need to come out :)

23032009097.jpg

23032009096.jpg

found a small spot of rust under the rear window not bad goin

the small rust spot that needed sorting turns out to be a previous repair from a bump so i need to get that dent beaten out.now i found this im tempted to pull the arches altho thats not needed for the wheels il probo go with.

23032009101.jpg

rest of the body is still sound from the last time i painted it but now i dont need it as a daily i can spend a bit more time and get a perfect finish so a good flat down and i shud be ready to get some paint on.

23032009094.jpg

23032009095.jpg

started to derust and repaint the subframes.

23032009098.jpg

graet work mate ,how did you remove the rear windows ?can you re use the old surrounds? not painting the rear of mine till next year but would like to no.

let me no how the dash looks!!!

the subframe is painted in 2k as the car but with a brush but suppose hammerite would be similar.

the car wont get the salt in winter anymore so i didnt bother gettin it powder coated..

if ya want to take the glass out and it is a real pain, a stanley knife and a load of washing up liquid and slice round the sealant best to wear some big gloves for when ya slip off and leave half ya skin on the window frame., iv found the cheese wire ruins the paint and the blades on the removal tools are too thick.

on the 1/4 windows if you split the seal the whole unit is ruind,trust me i know as one has bit the dust and at £200 from vw ,taking the glass out becomes even more of a a pain :)

the windscreen and rear glass are easy enough.

graet work mate ,how did you remove the rear windows ?can you re use the old surrounds? not painting the rear of mine till next year but would like to no.

let me no how the dash looks!!!

made a start on the dash goin quite well it has to be done in alot of pieces and paper first but im further on than in the pics i got right round and on to the top ,looks alot better when its tight shud look good.

a few pics of the start of it doesnt look mutch yet.

24032009105.jpg

24032009106.jpg

removed all the rust ready to prime the bay.

28032009109.jpg

28032009108.jpg

and nearly finished the dash il be glad when its done it wasnt so easy to do :)

29032009115.jpg

think iv now decided on what colour to go for but il wait till its done to show ya.

dash looks great mate .suppose u dont want to do mine now if it it a pain to do??

i wish id just cleaned my bay up now had a few probs with paint so have to rub it all down and start again :brickwall:

yea just join the dash retrim queu lol my camera phone is dead so im just waiting for another but the dash is done but im a bit busy to take on anymore at the mo.

im also waiting for another spray gun to start the respray myn just couldnt lay clearcoat on flat enough and its done a fair bit of work, so iv gone for a top notch gun this time around shud save alot of flatting work and get me a better alround finish. untill then not mutch is gunna be goin on with the body just gotta get the windscreen out.

i went to vw to get a new screen trim and some other clips etc but they no longer sell the rear window trim that slots round the glass unless they get 100 orders myn had been stuck by the glue and split so looks like i wont have one for a long time unless i can get one 2nd hand or just not have one at all :( :(

my spray gun turned up finaly, so iv just painted the bay ready to put the engine back in and the clearcoat has gone on realy flat so it was worth waiting for.

took me ages to clean all the bay down of 15 years worth of grime.i havnt realy done anything to it i didnt want to remove any seam sealer or do any welding or filling if it didnt need it so iv left it standard i know im just gunna end up using it daily at some point and didnt want to risk cracking filler or rusting later on as i wanna got to a few shows but arnt realy botherd about trying to win anything plus if i chromed it all id never want to use it..

DSC00019.jpg

its now saab hazelnut pearl so shud be a bit different altho the pic doesnt show the colour very well.

gunna get the engine back in and all the subframes back in etc before i paint the body it wont take me as long as doin all the underside and mech parts.and theres less chance me chipping it and il have more space.

rest of the work that iv been doin is boring stuff like new brake lines changing all the nuts and bolts for stainless and repairing any underseal and repainting everything ready to rebuild the bay.

the underside and all the uderseal is now painted white.

also got a new daily driver and iv had to do a few bits to that and stuck the rados old lenso wheels on it now and im sure that will be the next thing to get the spraygun after the rados done.

smallcab2.jpg

89 gti cab but i miss power steering :)

HA HA ,i nearly bought a mk1 this week also ..,great work in the bay colour will look nice against the trim,. 8)

awesome awesome work with that leather mate! looks amazing :clap:

pretty good work all around through the project too, it's always nice to see attention to detail! I'll give it a proper read in the morning :salute:

awesome awesome work with that leather mate! looks amazing :clap:

pretty good work all around through the project too, it's always nice to see attention to detail! I'll give it a proper read in the morning :salute:

cheers :D

waiting for some loom tape at the mo to get the loom as new, but iv still got a fair few bits to clean or repaint before i fit them.

most are white probo not the greatest to keep clean.

but heres a few more pics.

servo.jpg

innerwing.jpg

arch.jpg

still havnt found any rot on the underside just a few bits that had started to get a bit of surface rust mainly where jacks had ripped the underseal,so looks like my shell is pretty sound and mite not need any welding :)

now im waiting for sum fans to come to make a bit of a paint booth so i dont get dust in the paint so thats on hold and i also need some new cable ties that screw allover the engine bay.i got some at vw but there the wrong ones so il try again tmrw,looms all retaped tho in the cloth gear.

so iv redone some on the front cards as they wernt quite spot on.

doorcard.jpg

also started the parcel shelf i havnt decided if it will be all leather or a bit of brown, iv got to put two seperate pieces in there too ,i did the rear in the suede looks better than the top and ya never see it.

shelf.jpg

shelfback.jpg

shelffront.jpg

anyone have a spare parcel shelf strap they want to sell me? vw cant get them now :(