boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Ok, I would have posted these up earlier, but I was too busy owning down 20 miles of oxford countryside on my steel horse.

image024uwm.jpg

image025kdo.jpg

image026k.jpg

image027c.jpg

image028x.jpg

image029f.jpg

image030k.jpg

These are all parts of my fuel pump :nuts: Obviously everyone knows which each part is so I won't bother labelling them up... :help:

I was discussing that little lot with the parts guy at VW as I am considering running a second 16v pump in my setup.

That other canister is the accumulator rite?(Not the fuel filter) :wink:

Label them up.I am sure there will be others who can either refer to it now or maybe will want to in the future.

ta. :salute:

These are all parts of my fuel pump Obviously everyone knows which each part is so I won't bother labelling them up...

picture 1: Fuel Filter part no. W811 133 511 D top of filter (as picture is) attaches to fuel line going to engine. Bottom end of filter attaches to fuel pipe that runs from the accumulator. The part no.s for the banjo bolts & seals/washers are in the wiki guide to changing fuel filter.

pictures 2 & 3: Fuel accumulator (W431 133 441 C - £147 from VW). centre opening is for fuel pipe that runs from accumulator to fuel pump housing/assembly (picture 7). The second opening is for the fuel pipe that runs from accumulator to fuel filter (picture 6). there is no seals/washers needed when securing the pipes.

Pictures 4 & 5: fuel pump housing/assesmbly. Domed cap nut (N0110691) visible in picutre. Also should be 2 seals/washers ( N0138128 - i think) for here to go either side fo the fuel pipe.

Picture 6: Fuel pipe accumulator to filter (535201218A - £26.29)

Picture 7: Fuel pipe accumulator to fuel pump (191201373 - £23.13)

HTH

that H's very much steve, thanks! Mine is all brown and rickety - very hard to see what's what before taking it off the car.

So, I picked up my order yesterday from Kidlington VW (oxford reprazent brap brap) and it was alllmooost right. Unsurprisingly, Gary didn't check the order before giving it to me, and me being a tard didn't check it before I left. Here's what happened:

Ordered 3 rear beam bracket bolts - received 2, but charged for 3.

Ordered 1 smaller front engine mount bolts - received 4, but charged for 1 (any takers? :norty: )

Ordered 2 bendy rear beam hard line to rubber hose bracket thing - received 1, other in Munich - but I knew about that.

Ordered 1 exhaust clamp after one sheared when taking off backbox - received a hex nut. (You're doing it wrong!)

Most of you probably know I'm a part number whore, so not much chance I got the part number wrong on the exhaust clamp but I will check!

Edit: the hex nut has the same part number on the bag as the beam bracket bolts different picking location though so maybe some 'special' people in another warehouse? :cuckoo: Didn't actually order an exhaust clamp - oops!

At least the 1 bracket that arrived will allow me to make the rear hard lines to length (i.e. the ones that snake along the trailing arms) as I can just move the bracket to the other side and do the second one. Also got the spring retainers that go between hose and hard line.

VW got back to me today to say that they would sort out the order and let me keep the extra parts. Woop! 3 bolts richer.

Got my rear lines finished the other day, haven't put the pics up yet though.

I went in there the other day to get a new stub axle and a few other bits. Turned out that VW central stores think a stub axle looks like a plastic cap! In all fairness as soon as Dave went through the order with me, the fault was noticed instantly. Never had any problems with either of the lads tho (I get trade prices so that is probably why i'm not fussed about small problems every now and then!)

Big up Kidlington, Iffley Road are tosh imo!

Yeah trade prices are good aren't they! Gary doesn't understand it, but Dave is happy to put it through with a flash of the metallic red and grey CCGB card.

Iffley actually dealt with my whole £500ish rear end order, and not a bolt missing. But I just enjoy the 10mile drive to see Dave, plus he knows what he's talking about which is nice. Iffley did mess up my water pump pulley about 3 times in a row and got really arsey about it too. Shame.

So I got my rear brake lines finished today. the hoses I'm using to check fitment are the caliper hoses in case you're wondering:

image023k.jpg

My old versus new hard line bracket thing. At £2.50 a pop they really aren't worth reusing.

image031m.jpg

First trial fit last weekend before I realised I didn't have some parts I needed.

image052f.jpg

First fitting today. This was actually line #2 as the other one folded when I tried to introduce a slight radius. Yes, I have copper greased the bushes!

image053p.jpg

The tighter radius just before the hose bracket (which runs to the hard line from the brake bias valve). Bit fiddly to do but nothing major.

image054kbw.jpg

The other side which has the bracket on for the BBV so there's even less room by the ARB for the tight radii required to meet up with the hose bracket.

image055y.jpg

You can see what I mean here. Almost lost another line to the cause, but managed to get this one to work without kinking it which was nice.

image056q.jpg

A previous kink. May have passed MOT but fluid flow rate would be greatly reduced and may have played havoc with the BBV so not even worth risking.

image057mfc.jpg

The scrapped parts. First shaped part is the mock up from a week ago, unfortunately it flared off-axis so I scrapped it. Other bad flares got cut off, and the twisty bit used to be straight before I kinked it :mad2:

Just waiting for the other silver bracket to come in from germany, and then the beam is going on. Should be able to put al that together really quickly as I've done it before on the Jetta (and discs are a lot easier than drums).

looking good buddy.

how long now then until it moves of it's own accord?!

also i'm surprised you didn't shell out the extra cash and get some goodridge hoses while you were at it...

looking good all the same 8)

thanks mate.

It'll still be a while as i'm juggling uni and car working time, but hopefully late summer although the car may go into new ownership then (i'll explain later).

The goodridges were never really an option financially (£60 ish? :eek: ) plus this is a restoration project hence the standard suspension!

the only thing that will be different are the 280s I think, oh and the exhaust but a new standard one is just a false economy anyways.

Gotta save some ££ and get the tools posted back too! :salute:

Tried to get some sneaky updates yesterday but suffered massive fail :/

Attempted to hang the rear shocks by myself, but just way too fiddly. Do the springs need to be compressed a little bit before all the hex nuts are nipped up as I had about 1mm of usable thread poking through which wasn't enough to nip up the top bolt in the boot :confused4:

Also, was going to rehang my backbox but realised I had left my exhaust putty at Prodigal's so I'll pick that up today.

Pretty much the only thing I could do was affix the beam hard lines to the hoses at caliper and bushes ends - not much achieved!

Hopefully get more done in the next few days, I've finished for Easter now (not that the workload has eased up any) and still have my suspension design project to finish.

thats how my hard lines on the rear axle ended up? a bit wobbly looking :lol:

yours seem a bit different, or does that not matter?

the extra line on the wobbly ones will just mean that more pedal pumping is needed to pressurise the system initially, but will work fine after that.

Also, my rear beam is from a Mk2 golf not a corrado (no comment) so it doesn't have pipe clips in the same locations. In fact I need to put them on still.

As long as the hard lines don't hit anything there shouldn't be anything to worry about I reckon.

So... after an unsuccessful hanging of the shocks on friday, I talked to Prod who thought the shocks had to be attached to the beam, then guided up into the mounting holes with a jack and finally the top mounts done up. So it looks that has now moved to the last job on the list.

Here's how yesterday went:

image063a.jpg

Rooting through a small section of my parts bin to find necessary bits. :eek:

image064f.jpg

Managed to whittle the selection down to this.... any ideas? :wink:

image065i.jpg

That should help the more astute/geeky amongst you.

image066e.jpg

Yes, it's the tensioning spring and arm for the brake bias valve. Buy yourself a twix if you got it right.

image062u.jpg

image061s.jpg

Old versus new beam bracket. £30ish IIRC, but I deemed it worthy as it holds part of the braking system.

image067j.jpg

Prodigal getting dirty, I think putting the exhaust heatshielding back on after I did the NS to OS rear hard line :clap: :salute:

image068ngh.jpg

Beam still needs the brake line clips on! :pale: Musn't forget to do that.

image069s.jpg

Shinee. Thanks to all for the alignment help in the other thread.

image070n.jpg

No idea what that chassis-eye is for (left of pic). Any ideas gurus?

image071c.jpg

Spaghetti junction :nuts: the shortest line had to be realigned as it was catching on the spring arm on the valve. Spotted by Prod :grin:

image072d.jpg

Mr. and Mrs. Prod in full effect aligning the beam :shock: :notworthy: :cheers:

image073var.jpg

Checking the pre-tensioning of the axle bracket procedure in the Mk2 Golf Haynes! :lol: :lol:

image074w.jpg

Almost done. Man, this has taken 5 ages to get on :? It's good to have help :D

image075p.jpg

Hooray :clap:

image082x.jpg

Sneaky bush pic (not like that)

image081t.jpg

Stylo shot 8)

Still plenty to do obviously, but getting there.

Thanks Cheapmods :D I'm on easter break (spring break to you?) so i'm hoping to get the suspension on, and the back end on the floor.

....Although that just means i can start on the front end :nuts:

Good work, yet again! :salute: You're doing this the right way- it's gonna be like a brand new car the rate you're replacin'/refurbin' everything.

Now, onto important things- where's the turbo? :wave: :norty:

Good work mate - you'll be loving the drive of that when its done and most importantly won't have t worry about any drivetrain / brake stuff for a good few years afterwards!

its coming together well :salute:

What did you decide to do regarding the rear beam mounting bracket alignment ?

Good work, yet again! :salute: You're doing this the right way- it's gonna be like a brand new car the rate you're replacin'/refurbin' everything.

Now, onto important things- where's the turbo? :wave: :norty:

Cheers Andy. I wish it was a new car, or that I had a new-car budget! Maybe a few years down the line when it all needs replacing again, I will go that little bit extra :lol:

The turbo is still in the turbo shop. They, uh, said they'd hold it for me :shrug:

Good work mate - you'll be loving the drive of that when its done and most importantly won't have t worry about any drivetrain / brake stuff for a good few years afterwards!

Cheers mate :salute: Yeah, it drove nicely with just the front renewed and aligned, just need to correct that oversteery/breakaway a la Dead Bushes rear end now! Should be done over the summer I'm hoping.