Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Scirocco - sneak update on P13

Next weeks Autocar (out next Wednesday) will have pictures and full story of the new Scirocco - presume its going to be unveiled in production form at the Geneva Motor Show

all i know is i got a call from a salesman at my dealer 3weeks ago ish saying its on their sales targets for 2008... deffinitely going to get made but no pics at that point (utter rubbish! cars are completed for trial builds at months and months before production) he said somethign about oct this year ?? :-s

Mk3 Yeti - what you were told is totally correct. VW have not even released official pictures of the Passat CC to dealers and that was shown in full production trim at Detroit in Jan.

Scirocco is showing on dealers target for the back end of the year and although I know when they are due to start arriving at dealerships I'm afraid I'm not allowed to tell anyone

Reason for this thread and question? :lol:

VW have given tickets for a press party Monday night and entry to the Geneva Autosalon on Tuesday to 4 mates of mine and me, thanks to some serious bargaining and arm-twisting by one of my 4 mates over in Germany, who also attended both previous events in Berlin (Gregor aka sciroccokartei on this forum).

Leaving for German shores Friday, weekend near Karlsruhe (Roccomate), then drive in his LPG Turbo 20V Volvo towards Geneva, collect other 3 from airport, check into hotel, and turn up at press party in the evening, where VW will be launching several cars from the VAG group, Rocco to be launched last. Ah well, might as well check out some pubs first then :lol:

Tempest

I don't get to go this time :( Still, the trip to Berlin to see the IROC unveiled was the coolest jolly i've ever had so can't grumble! :)

Just received this:

Dr. Eric Coolen

Scirocco Club

2008 International Geneva Motor Show

"Driving Ideas" - The Geneva Spring Event

Dear Mr. Coolen,

"Many new highlights in every respect" is the slogan of this year's 78th International Geneva Motor Show.

Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles will present the latest innovations from within the Volkswagen Group to a selected audience at a special location in Geneva.

The Volkswagen Group invites you

to attend the presentation of its (world) premieres

at 7:30pm on 3 March 2008.

You will find further details in the invitation enclosed.

We are looking forward to see you in Geneva.

Kind regardsy

Volkswagen Communication

http://www.volkswagen-group-events.com/genf2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tempest

Any of you guys that are buying an Iroc/Scirrocco, I have a plate to compliment your new car.

I'm open to offers :)

Already have 3 Roccos (C's just another Rocco, the true Mk3 in actual fact), so not tooooo sure about getting this Mk4. Will have to (re)view it in the flesh first :lol:

Tempest

Thats why I'm hoping to get a job with Volkswagen Financial Services, the grade I would go in at means I could have any VW Group car up to 35k that are changed every 3 months plus two additional very heavily subsidised ones for family members as well, a Scirocco would be a definite for me

I don't want to be my usual cynical self, but seriously does anyone here really honestly think it'll capture ANY of the soul of the previous Type 53's? Somehow, I don't think so. I'd love it if they just made one or two versions ONLY - both with potent engines and incredible chassis, but I can't help but think it won't be what we want.

a Scirocco would be a definite for me

Question is which one? Surely the Ur-Rocco, the Mk1. Nothing beats Giugiaro's classy Italian design :-)

Tempest

For me, Volkswagen have to get four things nailed with the Scirocco:

1. The styling - if it retains the IROC's looks then it will be ok, I have my suspicions that the front end will be too VW "family look"

2. The driving experience - should not be an issue if the Mk V Golf is anything to go by

3. The pricing - just hope Volkswagen don't get greedy

4. The quality - my biggest concern, the amount of warranty work in dealers workshops is steadily increasing

For me, Volkswagen have to get four things nailed with the Scirocco:

1. The styling - if it retains the IROC's looks then it will be ok, I have my suspicions that the front end will be too VW "family look"

2. The driving experience - should not be an issue if the Mk V Golf is anything to go by

4. The quality - my biggest concern, the amount of warranty work in dealers workshops is steadily increasing

Not sure I am keen on the IRCO TBH, it just looks like a lot of other manufacturers generic sportier models. The big problem with anyone making a good looking car these days for the mass market is that the crash regulations, wind tunnel modelling, market research and above all else the accountants tend to interfere.

I really do hope it is a good car and manages to hold onto some of the most appealing characteristics of the type 53s but as Jim has already mentioned I am not sure it will.

Ah but will it have a rare Karman interior too?

Infact I doubt it will be "hand-built" like the Rocco/Rados either...

Yan, accountants been getting in the way since the birth of the motorcar! Although a more "modern" development is a "designed lifespan" which kicked off with the old Woolsey "Landcrab" which was designed with open U shaped channels on the inner wings specifically designed to trap mud and water and give it a 15 yr life expoectantcy, although BL slightly overdid it with the "All-Agro" which seemed to have a 2yr life expectantcy! :lol:

It was widely reported that the new boss of VW (appointed after the IROC event) bought the IROC back in for redevelopment and to give the front a more VW family look.. so I think we should expect one of the most striking features about the IROC concept to have already gotten the chop.

Agreed. The current Golf's do generally get great reviews and the GTI/R32 are well respected. On that basis, it should drive well!

That would require an entirely new mindset from VW. How long have motoring journo's been complaining about VW's pricing in relation to Ford, etc - paying for a premium level of quality which (judging by point number 4) doesn't exist any more.

Sad news indeed.

I'm just not optimistic about this one at all. Though I admire VW for having the focus groups, etc early into the development to try and find out just what it was about the Scirocco that made it so special to the enthusiasts - though from what I can tell, that feedback was only used in the marketing bumpf rather than actually taken into consideration in the design stages!

It was widely reported that the new boss of VW (appointed after the IROC event) bought the IROC back in for redevelopment and to give the front a more VW family look..

The same man responsible for "simplifying the build process" of the MK6 platform. Simplified always means "reduced costs" in the car manufacturing world. Reduced costs which then lead to reduced quality.

You only have to compare the quality of the leather used in the MK5 GTI to the Corrado's to see how far standards have slipped and the current cars develop rattles far sooner than they ever used to.

If they reduce the quality even more, people's perception of VWs being granite like will dissolve and they'll buy Ford Focuses instead, which to be fair, are on a par with VW at the moment, quality wise.

The Corrado's styling was completely different to the Scirocco and the Golf. The IROnCock will just look like a MK5 Coupe. Same old same old.....yawn.

If VW brought back the Corrado, it would be interesting. The ironcock stirs absolutely no VW emotions in me what so ever.

f VW brought back the Corrado, it would be interesting.

lol.... you suggesting they relaunch an 20year old platform! :lol:

Iroc can't have a Karmann interior, since it's not even built by Karmann anymore :-(

Rado does not look different to Roccos, certainly to Gold, though.

At least Karmann will also have a stand at the Geneva Autosalon, I was told today, soI better go and say "hello".

Tempest

Deviant, yeah accountants have but at the same time the last car engineers really had any proper input into from VW was the mk 1 Golf Gti.

Problem is in the current environment you will never ever get an outstanding un-conventional piece of engineering unless the accountants can be persuaded to release the funds.

Things like the Veyron are the exception, that was only done as a marketing exercise anyway.

German Autobild (same publisher as AutoExpress in the UK) have in their current issue got the following title piccie of the new Scirocco.

Off to Germany tomorrow afternoon and onwards to Geneva on Monday :-)

Tempest

Car magazine website will be the first magazine to release official pictures on Monday evening. That Auto Bild image confirms my worst fear that the front end has been massively watered down - a real shame

onwards to Geneva on Monday :-)

Wish I was going. :(

I hoped it would look just like the concept. Wishful thinking I know but compare that front end to my avatar. It's completely different.

Car magazine website will be the first magazine to release official pictures on Monday evening. That Auto Bild image confirms my worst fear that the front end has been massively watered down - a real shame

Problem being the original concept front end was far too Audi looking.