Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Scirocco - sneak update on P13

Watch the autoexpress video 'Arguably the most attractive car VW have ever made'

True I suppose as the Corrado was made by Karmann ;)

Looking at the autoexpress pics quite frankly that is a seriously bogging dashboard.

Well that's my suspicions confirmed.

A. It looks like most other bloody cars pretending to be sports coupes these days.

B. Or the TT shooting brake concept that was knocking around a few years ago.

C. The door handles look like someone thought it would be a good idea to stick the passenger grab handle on the outside of the car and colour code it.

D. Crash regs make for some seriously fugly cars.

About the only thing I do like is the interior door pull handle and just WTF is the current obsession of making stuff feel/look 'sporty' bwith silly fecking pedals!?!

If they recessed underneath the bumper area at the front to give it more of a pointy front end and moved the VW badge off the bonnet and stuck a smaller one on the grill it would help.

The VW that enthusiasts have been waiting for is revealed on the first day of the Geneva Motor Show

I like how they reference us, but don't actually get any quotes from the enthusiasts. I think the reaction would be fairly similar across most Scirocco and Corrado owners!

The VW that enthusiasts have been waiting for is revealed on the first day of the Geneva Motor Show

I like how they reference us, but don't actually get any quotes from the enthusiasts. I think the reaction would be fairly similar across most Scirocco and Corrado owners!

See my comments above. ;)

I think the reaction would be fairly similar across most Scirocco and Corrado owners!

Most, but not all. I like it. Not as much as the Iroc concept but I'd still have one over a golf. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something wild and dangerous. I can't help but think that some people wouldn't be happy whatever this car was like.

I think people would be happier if it had been designed to actually look like a coupe, which it doesn't, rather than a hatch, which it does. Sticking the word Scirocco on the back of this seems like a kind of badge engineering to me.

I think the reaction would be fairly similar across most Scirocco and Corrado owners!

Most, but not all. I like it. Not as much as the Iroc concept but I'd still have one over a golf. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something wild and dangerous. I can't help but think that some people wouldn't be happy whatever this car was like.

Indeed it does look better than the Golf and if I had to choose between the two then I would have the rocco.

It is badge engineering and VW are as guilty as the next manufacturer. I was just hoping they might go out on a limb and produce something that is truly a bit different from all the other stuff on the road.

And as for calling it a coupe - a mk 2 golf has about the same angled boot as the new scirocco!

I really wanted to have seen a car I could have liked but this is not it for me.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say something wild and dangerous. I can't help but think that some people wouldn't be happy whatever this car was like.

On a limb indeed you are, i do prefer to the Golf but if it came out like this

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfBeast concept.jpg[/attachment:cjofii61]

or this

New Corrado.jpg[/attachment:cjofii61]

then i would be happy.

Lets face it this aint no coupe

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfscirocco.jpg[/attachment:cjofii61]

Sticking the word Scirocco on the back of this seems like a kind of badge engineering to me.

Exactly my sentiments it's just marketing strategy. If they lie about it enough maybe everyone will start to believe it. King's new clothes type thing. By the way I hate it. It looks seriously dodgy from certain angles! You watch, this is the new look from VW to give customers everything they want like affordability, low mpg, sporty, a coupe, sex appeal, room for two kids in the back, boot space, cubby holes, cup holders, in car entertainment. I think it's designed like it is so they can use the same chassis to build a big people carrier using a different body to lower production costs like every other car manufacturer. The real thing VW have done wrong here is call it a scirocco, which it just blatantly is not! "IROC" you suck cock!

I do see what everyone is saying. It is just another hatch back. And it probably was a mistake to call it a Scirocco to be honest. But it still looks like a cool car and I bet it's wicked to drive. And a car that looks cool (in my opinion) and drives well (I admit I have no idea whether it does or not at this stage) is fine by me. Whether it's a hatch back or a coupe and whatever it happens to be called.

And Junkie you're right. That does look better. But that's a different car. You may as well put a picture of a Lambo up and say you wish it was one of those.

I do see what everyone is saying. It is just another hatch back. And it probably was a mistake to call it a Scirocco to be honest. But it still looks like a cool car and I bet it's wicked to drive. And a car that looks cool (in my opinion) and drives well (I admit I have no idea whether it does or not at this stage) is fine by me. Whether it's a hatch back or a coupe and whatever it happens to be called.

it may drive well but will it better than the golf its based on? it couldn't be that much better as it is a golf at the end of the day.

I mean what does this have that the golf doesn't and even vice versa. ( dont say the roof comon astras have these)

I think they could of done a LOT better

Thought they might of raided the bugatti parts bin at least

and finally a quote from the motor authority website

"We first heard of the possibility Volkswagen could ignore the U.S. market for the launch of the new Scirocco back in May when VW of America exec Adrian Hallmark said in an interview

I actually like the look of it... but think I'll reserve final judgement until seeing it in the flesh. From the pictures my initial reaction is (as many of you have said) it isn't very coupe.....

I actually like the look of it... but think I'll reserve final judgement until seeing it in the flesh. From the pictures my initial reaction is (as many of you have said) it isn't very coupe.....

Apparently according to AutoExpress this "stunning new VW coupe............. has classic coupe proportions"

Is that the same AutoExpress who call the Volvo C30 a coupe - if the Scirocco is a coupe then so is a 3 door Fiesta

The CEO of Volkswagen of America, Stefan Jacoby, has now revealed to Car and Driver that the Scirocco will not be returning to North American shores.

He said

Jim - getting my deposit back, just doesn't do it for me. It is a nice looking car and I would have one in prefernce to a 3 door hatch but I put a deposit down on a coupe not a 3 door hatch

Best pic i have seen of the front end so had to post the "look what you could have won" pic

IIROC.jpg[/attachment:2x5u8mas]

Jim - getting my deposit back, just doesn't do it for me. It is a nice looking car and I would have one in prefernce to a 3 door hatch but I put a deposit down on a coupe not a 3 door hatch

Yeah - can understand that mate! Definately not a coupe!

it may drive well but will it better than the golf its based on? it couldn't be that much better as it is a golf at the end of the day.

Surely you could say that about the Corrado on paper? Yet it kicks the Golf and the Passat that it borrows bits from.

You're all non-believers! :lol: You're all saying it couldn't possibly be the next scirocco or corrado. Except for the fact that the motoring press are loving it and nobody is going to buy one. Sounds like the next Corrado to me then. Er, even if it isn't a coupe.... :lol:

Surely you could say that about the Corrado on paper? Yet it kicks the Golf and the Passat that it borrows bits from.

You're all non-believers! :lol: You're all saying it couldn't possibly be the next scirocco or corrado. Except for the fact that the motoring press are loving it and nobody is going to buy one. Sounds like the next Corrado to me then. Er, even if it isn't a coupe.... :lol:

:) Don't suppose you watched that program that was on the telly recently about making good decisions did you? Apparently the human mind will go to great lengths to justify bad decisions! :)

Ok so we all think it's wide of the mark... but how soon before some-one makes an IROC front bumper/end for it?

Would we think differently then?

And yeah "classic coupe shape" so WTF are we driving about in!

The Yank angle doesn't surprise me, they are still focussed on the SUV segment, and probably will be for quite a while. It is the land of the Luxury Pick-up after all!

Same Shitt as the "new" Beetle... pretty body on a Goof platform...

Andy, what did VAG say when you asked for your money back? "Oh another one?" :lol:

Editing our picture and video material, before uploading it somewhere.

Quick resume of the past few days then:

Went down in my German mate's Volvo to Geneva (good 5 hour drive), picked up 3 more mates from airport, booked into hotel, were collected by VW in 2 Blue Motion Goofs and whizzed off to press event.

Most of the stuff that we were shown there has already found its way onto the net thanks to our press friends, who all circled every word that VW issued like the usual vultures (expensive camera kit et al). Winterkorn's boring speech (boring compared to Bernhard's stuff back in Berlin), eco-trends blabla, even the Lambo is more eco-friendly, so what?

The advert video we were shown, a VW remake of some Bond film, featured all new models, with some dodgy Germish accent by the "actors", the relevant group CEOs. Last in the line-up each time was the new Rocco, VW's apparent most promising new model.

We got to see the white pearlescent version. OK, it had lots of similarities to the Iroc, but it had also retained lots of the things we already didn'like back then in Berlin like the hatch. Later on we stormed across to another big nicely dressed up hall where we managed to beat all the journo-types to get good shots of the Rocco. Interior looks ... well, erm EOSish :lol: Rear seats look better than front ones (which are the current style found in Goofs et al), but block rear view according to Ritchie aka SCOstfriesland (will be here in GB this weekend with loads of material :-)).

Moved onto the other models, liked the new Seat design study, preferred it over the Rocco. Gallardo not bad either, certainly the bird :lol:

We were served very exquisite food and loads of posh bottled Becks beers by some attractive waitresses. Live jazz band with a nice looking and also sounding lady singer rounded off the evening.

What rzuined it slightly was when towards 1 am we said goodbye and thank you to the relevant VW press guy who'd granted us access to this event. He in turn mentioned to his colleague whilst we were standing in front of him: "This is Mr Leonh., who does something with Sciroccos (he runs the Sciroccokartei, that' also his nick on this forum) and the others are his friends. They'd all booked hotels and flights so as a symbol of our goodwill we have granted them access to this party!" Arrogant b*stards ... Note beside: VW originally had allowed us, after some effort by Gregor, to attend this event, then 2 weeks before, when we'd already booked flights and hotels, they cancelled the invitation. Gregor then fought like a lion to convince them to re-invite us. The old team with whom we had dealt under Bernhard still, must have all been sacked since noone remembered us. Bl**ddy Winterkorn.

Piech, Karmann's killer was also there, and he let himself be treated like some god.

Anyway, after an overall very nice evening we were whizzed back to our hotel again in a T5.

Next day at the actual exhibition (thanks to VW stand staff tickets, free parking, too) we saw the new Rocco in red (forgot the real name), which I have to say, I for one liked a lot more than the white one. It also featured the new UV-sunroof etc. It still looked cheap at the lower rear end, where VW have replaced the twin triangular tailpipes of the Iroc with 2 boring conventional pipes portruding at the left rear.

Some Rocco division staff gave us some more sales schmalz, which I ignored whilst making use of the free on-site wifi network :-)

On we went to visit the rest of the show, which in total we found a bit small. Problem is the size of the exhibition halls, Geneva has only 7 halls, small halls, so all brands only featured their newest models.

Loads of nice birdage, nice cars, nice stands (Audi did it for us), and a really nice world premiere by the Godfather of our beloved Mk1 Roccos, Italdesin - Giugiaro, all more than made up for the disappointing new Rocco. Giugiaro daddy and son :-) Very nice Italian birdage.

Which car would I buy? Alfa Romeo Brera! Looks more like a coupe, very nice and sporty seats, great looks, sidelines c-pillar similar to the C's lines, great red colour, more practical than Rocco (crap boot, small loading area between boot edge and parcel shelf, leaving little space for sticking suitcases into boot, high ede of folded down seats when wanting extra boot space).

Pictures, press vids and material available at UD :-)

Tempest

Gotta laugh at what was said on VW's I-CROC web page which is still available...

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswagen- ... tures/iroc

Its progressively designed radiator grille, the extremely long roof, the steep rear and sexy proportions, all mark a turning point in style for Volkswagen sports car design.
:?

Most distinctive, however, are the gauges and controls in the Iroc