Sign in to follow this  
Bojmobile

The Corrado's Future

I took just over 4 weeks to sell my last Rado, it was a valver with 121k miles on it and it went for £2150 with a few months t&t, I didnt have to reduce the price or try advertising on any sites that charge for adverts, it was only for sale on a few small websites (apart from pistandstoned) - i'd hardly compare that to the year or whatever it was that it took mathew1985 to sell his :eek: :) - Allthough I do agree that a few years ago a well advertised rado in good condition would sell itself within a few days not a few weeks!

I think the few rado traders that there are/were would testify that they're a dieing market :( . I suspect He-Man has moved onto another model, and TTC etc will soon.

Tbh i don't think we can grumble about the prices that corrado's have held...Compare them to other cars of the era and they are holding up very well i think?

And the future for the corrado is bright, they are destined for classic status.

Neil.

I took just over 4 weeks to sell my last Rado, it was a valver with 121k miles on it and it went for £2150 with a few months t&t, I didnt have to reduce the price or try advertising on any sites that charge for adverts, it was only for sale on a few small websites (apart from pistandstoned) - i'd hardly compare that to the year or whatever it was that it took mathew1985 to sell his :) - Allthough I do agree that a few years ago a well advertised rado in good condition would sell itself within a few days.

I think the few rado traders that there are/were would testify that they're a dieing market. I suspect He-Man has moved onto another model, and TTC etc will soon.

It might also be worth mentioning - that my last one sold to a guy that wasn't even looking for a car to buy, let alone a Corrado - he'd never really paid much attention to rados and had never really thought of buying one when he clicked on my advert whilst browsing on a local VW forum. Putting a bit of time and effort into an advert and taking plenty of decent pictures along with timing your sale so that you're in no rush, will sell the car for a good price. If you've spent time/effort/money on making or keeping your car in good condition then you deserve to achieve a fair price reflecting the condition! :tongue:

Also, I would never argue the principle of supply and demand but I dont think that it's necessarily the reason for all price drops, like I said I think the attitude of sellers towards the car they're selling has alot to do with the rado price drop, owners just dont want the hassle and are prepared to sell at £500 less than what they might achieve with some effort and patience just to get rid and move onto their M4/5 Gti or whatever :(

I've had a couple of wobbles too with mine, and its the money/value thing that always made me think. I considered the alternatives... and this is always a personal thing. I tried to find something that is as much of an all rounder as the Corrado while still being fun and fairly unique/not common (very important to me). Yes, depending on you tastes there is plenty of choice, but at a price and your never going to find anything thats as much fun AND have cheaper running costs. Which leaves personal taste and car price...I didn't find anything at the price point of the Corrado that did it for me, so I'm left with the choice of keep the Corrado or buy a more expensive car.

The major thing the more expensive car had was built in big-bore-depreciation, what ever the Corrado prices are doing one way or another it is only tiny changes in value. You go and buy a new motor for £20k you'll be lucky to keep 55% of the value in 3 years - thats a bitter pill to swallow for what? Nothing that is worth 3k a year to me - don't get me wrong, I understand why people do just that but it is not for me.

So for me personally I concluded by the time I could justify something buying something considereably more expensive than the Corrado I will no doubt be in a position where I can afford to keep both, so it stays for now.

Live for the day and enjoy your motor, its worth more to you in pure happiness than the couple of quid depreciation that "might happen". You never know whats round the corner.

At the moment my car is £priceless - perhaps if I ever have to sell it...it might be worth a little less...

on the argument that carrado's are old and need worn parts replacing, this is true, but that doesn't mean new cars are plain sailing. My mums new polo for instance, 2 years old and has had 3 new clutch's and a new gear box! not down to how worn they were they just didn't work smoothly / properly to begin with. She was much happier with her old Mk3 1.6 GLX polo than the new one. If someone wouldn't have knicked / burnt it she would still have that one with 155k on the clock as a lot less went wrong with that!

The worst thing about the newer cars to me is the build quality, everything feels loss, the interior in the new polo has developed more squeeks n rattles than my solid mount slammed rado!

no one makes individual cars anymore, you don't even notice a VW, BMW, Merc driving along anymore, I mean remember when you first started seeing awesome cars like the BMW 850 steaming down the motorway and your jaw would drop. Now when you see (insert generic plastic shark shaped car here) on the roads they just blend in with all the bland.

on the argument that carrado's are old and need worn parts replacing, this is true, but that doesn't mean new cars are plain sailing. My mums new polo for instance, 2 years old and has had 3 new clutch's and a new gear box! not down to how worn they were they just didn't work smoothly / properly to begin with. She was much happier with her old Mk3 1.6 GLX polo than the new one. If someone wouldn't have knicked / burnt it she would still have that one with 155k on the clock as a lot less went wrong with that!

The worst thing about the newer cars to me is the build quality, everything feels loss, the interior in the new polo has developed more squeeks n rattles than my solid mount slammed rado!

no one makes individual cars anymore, you don't even notice a VW, BMW, Merc driving along anymore, I mean remember when you first started seeing awesome cars like the BMW 850 steaming down the motorway and your jaw would drop. Now when you see (insert generic plastic shark shaped car here) on the roads they just blend in with all the bland.

That's exactly one reason i arent too fussed about getting a newer car. They're all boring outside and boring inside. No new car excites me enough to want to go buy it over owning the corrado. They also dont seem to be as well built as older cars - when they were new. Even something as simple as changing the bulb you have to go to the dealership to get it down due to how awkward the manufacturers make it to do the little things that you should be able to do yourself. They all seem to like using these torx screws to make the job harder (??)

are you a money enthusiast or a corrado one? :lol:

Aren't we all? :lol:

I've just been alarmed by the price fall over the winter - and while it happens every year then picks up in the Spring, I've never seen prices this low at this time of the year.

I was looking last night at newer cars and to be honest - nothing really does it for me - only ones that do are out of my price range.

i have the same problem, there's nothing i like anymore :lol: everything seems so bland and boring or expensive and in your face.

Any car you buy you will lose money on imo

LOL, not if you buy and sell sensibly, i've had countless Corrados and have sold each one for more than I paid for it, due to tidying them up,spending money on making them reliable, and reversing 'mods' that drop their value. If you buy a car in mint condition that's been advertised correctly, or you blow money on moddifying then you will struggle to make your money back.

thats true, i meant more of buying a car to "do up" and make how you want etc......i've never been one to change car very often, i just fix them when they are broken and keep them :lol:

corrado is only my 3rd car in 8-9yrs of driving.

my brother on the other hand, forked out £12-13k on a nearly new astra, never modified it (which is most of the fun of owning a car imo), yet has lost about half his money in a few years, that seems madness to me

Live for the day and enjoy your motor, its worth more to you in pure happiness than the couple of quid depreciation that "might happen". You never know whats round the corner.

. .

precisely, a great way of summing up.

i was thinking about the corrado on my lunch break and drove past the place where i went to view one when i was in the market for one. i didn't buy that one, but i suddenly remembered the feeling i had when looking for one and then felt really chuffed i'd got one sat at home 8)

also isn't it great to be showing up motors worth 4x as much as a corrado vr :D

once there was 3 aston martins parked outside my office, and my corrado amoungst them, yet the local guys and the aston drivers were all commenting on mine and asking about it, i felt chuffed.........everyones seen an aston before :D

Thought I'd add my thoughts to this.

As many have said, I find it very difficult to find a replacement that does everything the VR can do as well as it can. I've had various thoughts of changing it in my 5 years plus ownership - and whilst the thought of a Boxster, 944Turbo, Fiat Coupe or something else is attractive - I know I would miss the VR - the handling, throbby V6 economy etc. This was really brought home to me just recently - I hadn't driven it much for a few weeks - and when I got back in it - it still amazed me with it's feel, performance etc - SUPERB.

Now - I do like my cars and driving - but I can get enjoyment just from different driving experiences. I also have an old "breathed on" A series Metro - (in sh***y yellow) - and an old Eunos Roadster for when I need to feel the wind against my balding head. I therefore have the performance of an early Boxster (in the VR) - and the top-down fun in the Roadster - plus capacity to cart crap to the dump in the Metro. Getting back into the VR makes me feel special every single time and I never tire of the 30-70 sprint - (5.7secs according to Autocar)!

Another big thing for me is how rare they seem to be. Me and the Missus always try and guess how many we may see on our longer journeys - 9 times out of 10 - we never see another one - I like being individual 8)

As soon as the el blando, ugly, IRonc0Ck / Scirocco-thingy is launched, the inevitable comparisons to the Corrado will ensue, and values might tip a little back in our favour again.

As already mentioned, it's the old wrecks that are worthless and flooding the market. The ones people sell just before the chains need doing, the kind of heap with a chequered history of accidents and poor maintenance.

The immaculate ones are holding their values, but that is true of any marque.

It's also true 2.9 litres, 1300Kg and £1.15 a litre is not a financially viable option for a lot of people.

But again, that is also true of other thirsty brutes. Look at the old Merc E55 AMG (pre supercharged one). £60K new back in 1999. Now worth £5K.

Kind of ironic really when the current motoring trend is leaning toward vulgar Soft roaders that chew petrol up aswell as our crumbling tarmac with their earth mover tyres.

In my history of VWs, MK5 GTI withstanding, the Corrado is the only performance car VW have made that isn't flawed dynamically. As an affordable driver's car, it's very very good. If Ford made it, it would still be a very good driver's car. As Zippy says, keep your Corrados based on that, rather than future £ signs......

It's also true 2.9 litres, 1300Kg and £1.15 a litre is not a financially viable option for a lot of people.

But again, that is also true of other thirsty brutes. Look at the old Merc E55 AMG (pre supercharged one). £60K new back in 1999. Now worth £5K.

Yeah I reckon that's had a massive effect - its a pretty small ammount of people that fall into the category of having enough disposable income to afford to run a Rado and also actually want to own a 13yr+ old car - most people that can afford high running costs want the newer cars on the market :(

On the plus side, i'll be able to get myself a corker for very little money in a few years time at this rate :o

Indeed, get yourself a concours VR6 now for £2.50 and a packet of Beef crisps, then store it until it's affordable to run :wink:

I thought £1.15 was bad for a litre of V power, but I happened to glance down at the Diesel and noticed it was £1.20 a litre :shock:

That is Brown all over though isn't it? Rewarding people for using an alternative fuel by financially raping them. E85 ethanol is currently about £80p a litre. I bet when it [eventually] takes off in a big way, it will rise to £35.67p a litre overnight, despite being a renewable fuel.

Grrr. Grrr. And another Grrrr :censored:

However mine says it returns as good as 30mpg on the MFA long term setting - thats as good if not better than any new car with similar performance. And they are selling lots of new performance cars....

However mine says it returns as good as 30mpg on the MFA long term setting - thats as good if not better than any new car with similar performance. And they are selling lots of new performance cars....

Take an R32, 25% heavier and won't do 30mpg, however, those who can afford to spend £27k on a new car probably are not too worried about consumption. Those who can afford a £3-4k Corrado probably are which in turn compounds the problem. I don't think the prices of the good ones have changed a huge amount in recent years, just waiting for the right buyer.

Grrr. Grrr. And another Grrrr :censored:

You just know that any fuel that goes mainstream is going to be taxed to hell and back. If it ain't on fuel it be on something else!

I drove past a petrol station today near Wantage and diesel was 121.9!!!!! Robbing gits :shock:

I'll be keeping my Corrado for as long as it doesn't need welding up underneath. That was the last straw with our Mk1 Golf, I must be getting old :)

First post here so hello to all first of all.

Thought this was quite an apt post to start in with the question I have. What is a good amount to pay at the moment for a Rado? I'm after a VR but I need an auto. After looking round I've seen a couple (they arent exactly common) and 3-4k seems to be about the average price with just under or over 100k on the clock. What should I be getting for that sort of money, decent example or snotter?!

Cheers

Thought this was quite an apt post to start in with the question I have. What is a good amount to pay at the moment for a Rado? I'm after a VR but I need an auto. After looking round I've seen a couple (they arent exactly common) and 3-4k seems to be about the average price with just under or over 100k on the clock. What should I be getting for that sort of money, decent example or snotter?!

Cheers

should be very decent for 3-4k.

God - you weren't joking! Can get decent ones for about £6k!!

Cheers

A real nice auto will come in under 3k if you keep your eyes open. The auto boxes werent the best and autos are less desirable.

A real nice auto will come in under 3k if you keep your eyes open. The auto boxes werent the best and autos are less desirable.

Something i've noticed is that non-enthusiasts seem to like the auto. About a year ago i was offered very good money more than a few times for my auto simply BECAUSE it was an auto. I know its not the best auto box, but its in a unique car and if it is maintained it is actually not too bad.

Cheers

Snotter for £4000?!?!?!?!?! omg.

Mine is deffo a snotter as you call it, but it cost me an eighth of that. If you're happy to doi a lot of work yourself (and boy, are you gonna) then they can be had for very decent prices.

I know of someone with a gorgeous corrado which may appear in the For Sale section soon?

Sorry I didnt quite mean a complete shed for £4k but the last time I looked at Vr's they started at £4k!

I've seen an auto for £2700 on the trader that looks decent so I'm going to have a look on Saturday. If anyone wants to have a look there are only 2 autos on there and its the blackberry one in milton keynes. Any opinions welcome!

The problem with Corrados is that they were never made in large volumes like the Mk2 and parts, in proportion to the amount of money you need to buy the car, are expensive. This means you get young people who can afford the cars but not the upkeep buying them and then they end up in the scrap yard for one reason or other. Those of us on this forum fuel the trend where nowadays you can invariably only buy minters or sh1443rs. We look after our cars and pore love and attention onto them where most non-enthusiasts will run them until they die. I went to see a certain G60 before getting the VR and it needed £2.5K spending on it to actually make it into a “nice” example. They also get “modded” by young people who don’t understand cars – hence probably why finding a decent G60 is almost impossible. All the good ones belong to the likes of us who will seldom sell and the rest have long since spat their G-Lader internals onto the road.

I love mine – I never realised how nice they were to drive until I got back into one after having owned one years ago and then driven lots of other more modern cars in the interim. And you get so much attention – guys who had one as a company car or who wanted one but didn’t get one for one reason or another (often the wife). I’ve got a book of old magazine road tests and the Corrado is constantly pitched against the Ford Probe and the Celica and they both won dynamic praise believe it or not but the Corrado is on the only one which still turns heads – one of the articles even pointed to the Probe as being “futuristic” and a design which would age well. How wrong they were. I think there will always be a market for very nice Corrado’s. I bought my old G60 for £3500 and sold it for £4000. As with all older cars – all you need is time and money!

I can't believe the subject of road tax hasn't come into this conversation yet. Several hundred on road tax, rising fuel prices and insurance companies trying to put book value on it, plus the possibility of them being banned from city centers or at all due to age/pollution - doesn't that have a greater impact than the value of the car itself? I think some of the discussion so far is daft!

And if the UK government continues this current trend - then the above will continue/happen sooner or later. I really don't see the Corrado as an asset and I don't give a monkeys about the rising/falling value of it as a) I like it and love driving it, and b) its not a £20k+ car - its valued less than a new Toyota Aygo. Moving to a newer car will result in adopting more credit/debt.