dinkus

The definitive VR6 cooling guide

When I turn the ignition on Stage 3 runs and only stops when I switch the power off.

I've replaced all sensors, rad sender, thermostat and housing. The fuses are ok on the controller and all 3 fan stages work when I bridge the relevant connections.

When I refit the old original black sensor the stage 3 fan doesn't come on.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Agreed - most likely the sensor.

The bridging pins tests only verify the that the fan motor works at all speeds and check for continuity in the wiring and parts of the fan controller module, not the sensors themselves.

The only real way check the sensors is to boil a water/coolant mixture, heat up the sensor and check for an open circuit at the correct temp - water alone won't get hot enough. Because the sensors are relatively cheap most people just replace them anyway as a precaution.

Can you return the new sensor as faulty and get a replacement maybe?

When you say, you fit the old sensor and the fan doesn't come on what do you mean? Stage 3 is really a last hope speed and hopefully shouldn't ever be needed so unless you've got some really high water temp issues it shouldn't come on. I'd say your new sensor is a duff, I think it's actually more common than you'd like to think. Take it back and try another.

Thank you for the replies. I've now fitted another new black sensor and the fan is still coming on. I'm stuck for what to do next.

I've only seen a place in France lately, that sells the vr6 rad, it wasnt cheap. I know others have been asking before. I'll look for my Hella part no. And post it up if it helps

Although my car has been sorned for about 6 months, there was an 'issue' with the cooling fan coming on after only 5 minutes of driving from cold.  I've replaced the rad sensor a few years ago but does anyone know the resistance it should be?  I'm suspecting it's failed although it was a genuine VW one..

Btw, gauge temp is only just above 70 when it comes on.

thanks

Hasan

Edited by fla

ok, time to add my problem to this thread. 

1992 VR6 5spd with AC.

Problem: Have gone through 3 fans in the past 2 years. 20amp fuse on FCM intermittently blows. Cant get it to blow predictably.

Past fixes:

-Replaced bad Corrado 4pin motor with new passat 4pin motor that was professionally swapped into the Corrado motor housing. Worked great for a year, then burned up (literally). This is also when the fuse started blowing. The AC compressor wont turn on if the fuse is blown. 

-Replaced with 3 pin fan motor. Had a race that weekend and that was the only fan available on such short notice.

-Fan no longer worked predictably when the thermoswitch was plugged in. Unplugged it and plugged a toggle switch directly into the harness for the thermoswitch.

--fans turn on/off with toggle switch, but the afterrun will work correctly after the car shuts off. 

-replaced thermoswitch (twice) and even manually checked thermoswitch with hot water and a multimeter. 

-replaced crack pipe, thermostat and housing, and all senders. 

-fan still wouldnt turn on unless the toggle switch was used. And fuse still randomly blows.

--eventually afterrun stopped working

Now: the fan wont turn on at all, even with the toggle switch jumping the leads to the thermoswitch. So bad motor, but Its probably just a symptom of another problem. 

My attention is now on the FCM, but im questioning if the correct one is even in the car because the previous owner seemed rather careless when it came to repairs. 

The one in the car is 357 919 506. Is has a blade fuse, 5amp fuse, and 20amp fuse. All research indicates this is the FCM used in later VR6s which this is not. 

From what I've read and advice I've received, the correct FCM is 1H0 919 506? But that one has only a single blade fuse. 

Mine too is a 1992 VR6 that now runs with a coil pack amongst other things. 

It doesn’t however have AC and has never had it., It has the latter part number FCM you mention as shown in the photo  7DDD6B3F-EE04-4D77-BF5D-DE390BB550A7.thumb.jpeg.9551bde1417a6db2430760f80d130b54.jpeg

I would think your fan melt down messed your FCM up. I would replace that the fan and the rad sender. 
You may struggle to get a fan though as they are NLA and consider some aftermarket fans, cowling and wiring. The thread below gives lots of ideas on this. 
https://the-corrado.net/topic/86596-slimline-fans-wiring/?tab=comments#comment-1027876

Cheers

Thank you guys. I am really considering doing the aftermarket fan setup, my only concern is since I compete in a stock class, I think someone could protest it since it could be argued to be performance enhancing.

Im gonna take the time time to read through that whole thread but its possible to run aftermarket fans and retain full function of the AC?

6 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Fla and Cressa have Air con, I wonder what FCM they have. 
Guys?

I will look tomorrow.  I don't think the FCM is different as the Diavia stuff kind of piggy backs on to it. Leave it with me..... Does seem a shit of a problem 

No 25 on diagram shows you variations . there are some specific to abv and air con and chassis number. 

Please not this does not apply to RHD vehicles as were added aftermarket at dealers . 

If your is a LHD and factory fit then your fan controller does not mention  air con  off etka whereas there are x2 that do  specific to ABV code.  

You need to state more information about your car- AAA ? USA - UK car - chassis number. 

relay. for vehicles with 2-speed radiator fan VW CORRADO (ilcats.ru)

Edited by Keyo

10 hours ago, Keyo said:

No 25 on diagram shows you variations . there are some specific to abv and air con and chassis number. 

Please not this does not apply to RHD vehicles as were added aftermarket at dealers . 

If your is a LHD and factory fit then your fan controller does not mention  air con  off etka whereas there are x2 that do  specific to ABV code.  

You need to state more information about your car- AAA ? USA - UK car - chassis number. 

relay. for vehicles with 2-speed radiator fan VW CORRADO (ilcats.ru)

AAA with dizzy. LHD USA car.
Yeah, seems that page doesnt specifically mention AAA with air con

2 hours ago, Lelige said:

AAA with dizzy. LHD USA car.
Yeah, seems that page doesnt specifically mention AAA with air con

From what it can see looking at the USA etka can be either 357919506 or 3A0919506 for Air con. One is superseded .  It could be this one as well not sure its not clear. 357 919 506 A

What you can do is count the pins on the plug and google image part numbers and make sure it matches your plug .

Edited by Keyo

Anyone got any idea where to get a new radiator from for my 95 VR6?

Does it have to be an alloy job from Eastern Europe now? 

Do any of you have experience of these re. fit & quality if that's my only option?