Sign in to follow this  
Adz The Rat

Great Roads

Went up to Ingleton in Yorkshire today with the mrs and really really enjoyed the roads on the way there.

Nice and fast with some top straights and corners, not dangerous either. Just wish they had been a bit quieter!

There are some great ones where the mrs lives too in between Leyland and Longton.

Sure you all have your fave roads where you live, share them....

B1257 between Stokesley and Helmsley in North Yorkshire! Nicknamed the Bilsdale TT! Voted of of the Top ten driving roads in the UK!!

Then theres the road from Barnard Castle Up to the Hartside Cafe.....Dunno it's A/B designation but it's frickin' awesome!!!

A57 Snake Road through derwent, not driving quick through there but some lovely corners. Look forward to it everytime I go biking up there.

B4009 between Chinnor and Newbury, Fantastic mix of really tight twisty corners with buildings right next to the road and long sweeping open corners and straights, much better way of getting from Oxford to Newbury than the A34

sounds like a candidate for stickyness if we can get enough people to post in here?!

i live in the middle of london - there are no great roads here :(

A68. Fantastic scenery, great stretches of road, to many speed cameras :(

Going between York & Harrogate? Ignore the A59, but take any or the back roads between York & Wetherby & cut across (B1224 IIRC). Superb drive and I swear that after today's nonsense traffic jam, I'm never going on the A59 again!

Going between York & South Leeds? Fulford then right onto the B1222 towards Cawood, turn right at Cawood, towards Ulleskelf, left onto the A162 then right to the B1217. Much more entertaining than the A64.

Cheers,

Tom

A57 Snake Road through derwent

Hell yeah!! :nuts:

The roads round Holmfirth are ace too 8)

A54 Buxton to Congleton across the Peak District, brilliant road, slow bends, fast bends, hairpin bends, fast straights, great scenery.

Not been up there in the rado yet, but even in the TDi 150 Bora it was brilliant!

(note to self, must take the VR up there)

i live in the middle of london - there are no great roads here :(

Rubbish there's the N/S Circular, great road to sit in a traffic jam! :lol:

The A1020 opposite City Airport is not bad, bit "Milton Keynes" in that it's about 3/4 mile of dual cariidgeway linked with big roundabouts, but nice flat surface. Good little Test track in the evenings.

Also the B4011 between Thame and Bicester used to be pretty good, but the surface has been chewed up by trucks using it as a rat-run from the M40. :( Also not recommended to blast down there when it's cold as gets very icy in places (shown by holes in the hedges!)

A75 between Newton Stewart and Castle Douglas is superb long sweeping bends fantastic scenery a next to no police activity :D

Once you get to Castle Douglas follow the A733 back towards Ayr it gets tighter and more technical but still great fun. :D

B645 between Chelveston, Northamptonshire and St Neots, Cambridgeshire.

Great surface, low hedges so you can safely cross lanes in the corners, camber changes, fast straight, good scenery and some excellent pubs on route! :D

If I link it with the A428 at St Neots to cambridge (new, very fast bypass) I can get from my folks place to mine with 45 mins of driving pleasure! :clap:

A2 Autobahn to Hanover

A66 Scots Corner (as long as its clear traffic)

Some random road up north called 'Snake Pass' which closes during harsh weather

B645 between Chelveston, Northamptonshire and St Neots, Cambridgeshire.

Great surface, low hedges so you can safely cross lanes in the corners, camber changes, fast straight, good scenery and some excellent pubs on route! :D

If I link it with the A428 at St Neots to cambridge (new, very fast bypass) I can get from my folks place to mine with 45 mins of driving pleasure! :clap:

I'll second that, and you might see EVO doing some road testing on the way to the B660 (another fantastic road Ramsey St. Mary's to Bedford).

T

A54 Buxton to Congleton across the Peak District, brilliant road, slow bends, fast bends, hairpin bends, fast straights, great scenery.

Not been up there in the rado yet, but even in the TDi 150 Bora it was brilliant!

(note to self, must take the VR up there)

I did that road late at night once in my old Astra GSI and loved every minute. It was deserted and fantastic

Bloody hell guys get your asses up here. Bascially every road north of Dundee or Glasgow are briiliant. Ballater to Grantown on Spey is great as is the Invergarry to Kyle road, Glencoe, Kenmore to the A9, Pitlochry to Braemar..........the list goes on.

Too many bloody tourists though.

Well I've got a few suggestions :

SCOTLAND

The A7 between Carlisle and Edinburgh, taking in Hawick & Selkirk. 92 miles of open sweeping roads, passing between beautiful mountains. A spectacular way to enter Scotland and a fabulous drive. Best enjoyed early in the morning (as I do when I drive overnight from Bournemouth to see friends in Leven).

WALES

A470 from Merthyr Tydfil to Brecon. Similarly spectacular scenery and a lot of fun at night.

DORSET

We're spoiled for choice in my locality. Particular favorites are:

B3351 (Studland to Corfe Castle) - twisted, lots of elevation, blind bends, beautiful views over Poole Harbour. Scary to drive quickly, but satisfying too.

B3081 (Wimborne St Giles to Shaftesbury) - a cracking way to cross Dorset North-South. a few slow bits, but opens up over the top of some of Dorsets most beautiful scenery and ending with the famous Zig-zag hill, officially the twistiest section of road in the UK.

B3157 (Weymouth to Burton Bradstock) A scenic coastal road with the sea visible for large sections, but you won't have time to look at it if you're moving! A demanding but rewarding drive with a few opportunities to get airborne if you're feeling stupid enough. Lots of accidents on this road, mostly by Subaru owners pretending to be Petta Solberg.

A350 (Blandford to Shaftesbury via Membury Abbas). The secret's out now and often there is too much traffic these days to really have some fun, but easily (theoretically) possible to hit 130mph on open A-road on this one. Starts stwisty at the Blandford end, but slowly opens up with each mile. A delight (and a regular pathway for me travelling to Castle Combe race circuit)

A338 Bournemouth to Ashley Heath. Dorset's drag strip. 8 miles of dual carriageway coming north out of Bournemouth. Easy to v-max here late at night if you want to. Not that I'd do anything like that (honest officer)

-Enjoy-

B3081 (Wimborne St Giles to Shaftesbury) - a cracking way to cross Dorset North-South. a few slow bits, but opens up over the top of some of Dorsets most beautiful scenery and ending with the famous Zig-zag hill, officially the twistiest section of road in the UK.

quote]

Agree with that - found this route by chance last year - brilliant road but unfortunately it was negotiated in a Megane Scenic :?

quote]

Agree with that - found this route by chance last year - brilliant road but unfortunately it was negotiated in a Megane Scenic :?

Zig-Zag Hill is the place where I really properly "road" tested my Quaife ATB. The ATB passed the test, however my neck failed it :)

B3351 (Studland to Corfe Castle) - twisted, lots of elevation, blind bends, beautiful views over Poole Harbour. Scary to drive quickly, but satisfying too.

A350 (Blandford to Shaftesbury via Membury Abbas). The secret's out now and often there is too much traffic these days to really have some fun, but easily (theoretically) possible to hit 130mph on open A-road on this one. Starts stwisty at the Blandford end, but slowly opens up with each mile. A delight (and a regular pathway for me travelling to Castle Combe race circuit)

Totally agree, i was in bournemouth yesterday, took the a350 down from bath, a bit too much traffic to fully unleish, great road tho. Did studland to corfe castle in mate's car, most of it stuck behind "sunday" drivers :roll: Then came back along the b3081. It was totally deserted, and just when you think the road can't get any better you come across zig-zag hill....its unbelievable how tight those hair-pins are! Came out the other side with a huge grin on my face, definitely taking that route again :D

Also saw 4 corrados while i was in bournemouth/poole yesterday, always seem to spot them in this area!

B1257 between Stokesley and Helmsley in North Yorkshire! Nicknamed the Bilsdale TT! Voted of of the Top ten driving roads in the UK!!

Then theres the road from Barnard Castle Up to the Hartside Cafe.....Dunno it's A/B designation but it's frickin' awesome!!!

think its the a686? its like a road in the alps when you drop down from hartside!!

A57 Snake Road through derwent

Hell yeah!! :nuts:

The roads round Holmfirth are ace too 8)

You gotta be joking about the Holmfirth roads mate, pot holes like craters on the moon :shock:

There are some fun ones but the road surfaces around here are :censored:

I've cracked 3 alloys since I've lived in Holmfirth :bad-words:

B3081 - Shaftesbury to Wimborne (as already mentioned) - such a great road for so many reasons.

B3306 - St Ives to St Just (Cornwall) - early morning before the tourists - a wonderful experience.

A272 - Winchester to Haywards Heath - especially the wooded section and tunnel!

B3157 - Weymouth to West Bay - especially the bit coming into Burton Bradstock.

B3274(?) - old A30 near Roche (Cornwall) to Tregonehta - now liberated thanks to new A30 and tourists being re-routed.

A15 - Sleaford to Bourne in Lincolnshire

B4494 - Newbury to Wantage - love it!

Plus the Klausenpass and Grossglockerpass - but not sure if they count?!