Sign in to follow this  
cymru-corrado

New Scirocco pics (in the flesh ooo-err)

Im not feeling it in those pics to be honest.

In some i see i think "ooooh", then in other pics it just doesnt interest me at all

I dont think it looks that bad but at the same time it does look like every other bloody 'coupe' on the road and it is no way a Scirocco.

to be honest apart from the front end the rest just doesnt cut it.

a. its a hatchback not a proper coupe

b. the dashboard & steering wheel is jetta/golf/eos (a 6yr old design) which is lazy imo

c.the rear looks like an astra

d. its not using any significant engine at moment.

c. boot opening space isnt to clever

d. uses passat sport seats, nice, but again lazy

also got to drive the new 3.6 v6 300bhp engine in the passat cc, goes well enough but abit of a waste of an engine in that car in particular imo and also wasted with a dsg box as only option.

the engine dosent look an different to normal r32 lump under bonnet either.

VW missed a HUGE trick with this car. The front and rear look like they're off too different cars, and the interior is just shite i think.

Take a look at the door cards. What is that stupid triangular door handle about? And then there is a poxy square slab for the speaker pod, laziness

to be honest apart from the front end the rest just doesnt cut it.

a. its a hatchback not a proper coupe

b. the dashboard & steering wheel is jetta/golf/eos (a 6yr old design) which is lazy imo

c.the rear looks like an astra

d. its not using any significant engine at moment.

c. boot opening space isnt to clever

d. uses passat sport seats, nice, but again lazy

also got to drive the new 3.6 v6 300bhp engine in the passat cc, goes well enough but abit of a waste of an engine in that car in particular imo and also wasted with a dsg box as only option.

the engine dosent look an different to normal r32 lump under bonnet either.

well tbh compare it to the original skyrocket in some of your points :dorky:

a)Rocco has also always been a hatch albeit a Sporthatch

b)dash and s/wheel were IIRC the same on the mk1 Golf and Skyrocket tho the Rocco was out first

c)no astra around back in the early 70's

d)I'd say the GTI lump is decent enough and the twin charger one will be in soon(remember the mk1 Rocco and Golf shared the same engines too)

e)its a Sports coupe/hatch practicality isn't top of the list afterall

f)mk1 Rocco and mk1 Golf shared the same seats too IIRC

it does share lots of things agreed as per the original scirocco's, but for a new car that is trying to break out of the current mold of mainstream vw's its poor, working on sales to have our new flash car having the same dash as a jetta ,which dont sell for love nor money is poor the fact the golf is being replaced next yr makes this even worse as it will have previous model equipment and not new stuff. The new passat cc does have the new generation steering wheel's from vw so hopefully that will go on new scirocco, and seat wise with the standard passat to poss be going under a facelift again would mean the scirocco is running again on old model equipment.

boot space wise may not be top of list, but a corrado is much more practical in terms of carrying things.

Price wise is pretty competitive so will be interesting to see how it goes, vw want around 3500 sales between sept and end of yr and around 6000 next yr.

imo that one looks muchos better than the white one they had as a press realese one! looks so much more of a car than the other did :)

Either I'm getting old or the Scirocco is poor but I'm liking the Passat CC far more than the Scirocco

i still can't decide if i like it or not?? obviously if it was anything like the IROC i would have one on the drive this minute :)

but i'm just waiting for one to be written off so i can vulture it, and get the front/rear seats out of one.

well tbh compare it to the original skyrocket in some of your points :dorky:

a)Rocco has also always been a hatch albeit a Sporthatch

b)dash and s/wheel were IIRC the same on the mk1 Golf and Skyrocket tho the Rocco was out first

c)no astra around back in the early 70's

d)I'd say the GTI lump is decent enough and the twin charger one will be in soon(remember the mk1 Rocco and Golf shared the same engines too)

e)its a Sports coupe/hatch practicality isn't top of the list afterall

f)mk1 Rocco and mk1 Golf shared the same seats too IIRC

Sorry Rodders but that doesn't wash with me :D

Yeah the Rocco and MK1 Golf were the same car underneath but just as with the Corrado and MK2 Golf, they couldn't be any more different visually.

Not only that, the rado and rocco were always greater than the sum of their humble (shared) parts, both offering a different driving experience compared to their Golf brothers. Better in fact.

The other important thing with Rocco/Rado/Golf was they all shared the familiar VW DNA. They were instantly recognisable as VWs.

That hideous thing at the top of the page could be a Ssangyongmisso, or a Hyundai if it wasn't for the VW badging.

Yep, as mentioned already, VW have completely missed the point with this car. Instead of recapturing what made the Rocco and Rado successful and bringing it up to date, they launch some ugly beast with many panels copied from other cars. Look at the bonnet line, that's BMW 7 series.

The first picture is Peugeot 307. The back is Alfa.

Wow. I could have designed that by copying what others have done.

As a VW fan, it's the last car I would buy. I would sooner own a Ford or Vauxhall than that thing!

Cynical and harsh? Not really. Considering the hype they gave it and the promise of a new Scirocco, they've wasted our time.

No self respecting 'new scirocco' thread would be complete without a couple of photoshops of what the car should have looked like.

sc2.jpg

sc_USA.jpg

sc_back.jpg

They have to please the mass market first.

Think the more creative stuff is yet to come

I think the problem for us is that it has been left so long.

For example the golf has changed its shape but it has been a more gradual evolution and so people are less jolted by the car in its current fom.

This on the other hand is a quantum leap in terms of how the rocco left off.Thus it doesn't sit right with alot of VW fans who are trying to look for signs of the cars lineage.

That is why in truth its is a slightly elongated golf as that is all VW had to really work with.

It simply has just been too long.

Never fails to spark a debate though. :)

The white one looks alot better then the black one. I like the black one but it looks a bit too toned down for me. As Yanards said, it looks like every other sports coupe/hatch on the road.

in pic 3 the black one looks like a Corsa!! :shock: not good at all.........

White on looks stunning, they should all be that way. If you want a plain car than buy summat else!

They have to please the mass market first.

I don't buy that.

Audi are mass market and they don't find it beyond their imagination or capability to produce a coupe that's both great to look at drive......AND....vaguely resemebling the concept!

VW's ability to do that clearly stopped at the Corrado.

Volkswagen Groups desire to build more and more cars mean that "risky" cars will never again be seen with a Volkswagen badge on them,even the Passat CC is only beiong produced because the Passat platform has now covered its costs in terms of R&D so a new model variant was fairly inexpensive to produce.

Volkswagen has shown its true colours this week after stating that the MK6 Golf will be £950 per car cheaper to produce than the MK5 enabling them to show a balance sheet profit on the car from day one as opposed to the 2 years it took with the MK5 - no statement about higher quality, improved driving dynamics etc

Whilst I appreciate that every manufacturer needs to produce a profit surely not every model in the portfolio of models needs to be profitabe, every manufacturer needs halo / aspirational products and the Scirocco could have been just that as opposed to a females "sporty little car to zip around town in"

I'm so glad they did not revive the Corrado name

VW can't afford to make detrimental changes.

The Ford Focus is much quicker to build, but the list price is far cheaper and perceived quality is not far off the Golf's.

If VW don't reduce the price of the MK6 to reflect the reduction in quality and build time, they will lose customers, simple as.

People wanting the "cut above a Ford" cars will just pay a bit extra and go to Audi instead.

That white one at the top of this page is gorgeous, unfortunately it looks nothing like that.

And i know they want to 'please the masses', but the masses want to be inspired. The masses will be a golf, people who want something different would have gone for the rocco IIIFFFF it was like the white one, but it isn't, so people are likely to go elsewhere.

If i had £20k-£22k in my pocket i would be looking at a Focus more than the rocco.

Im sorry, but VW have had a swing and a miss with this thing