Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

Steamy Clocks

With the recent cold/wet weather we've had, I've noticed in the mornings that my clocks are steaming up. They're clear when I get in, but steamy within 5 mins. Wipe them clean and they steam up again... Anyone else noticing this? Is it a common quirk or something more sinister? Damaged seal somewhere maybe???

This happened to me the other day too, just steamed up in the right hand corner of the clocks though.

is it whole dash out for replacing the matrix?? I did one on a mk2 golf a few years ago but cant remember, can remember a lot of swearing though!

This happened to me the other day too, just steamed up in the right hand corner of the clocks though.

is it whole dash out for replacing the matrix?? I did one on a mk2 golf a few years ago but cant remember, can remember a lot of swearing though!

Unfortunately yeah full dash not a job I like either!

Yeah im afraid that happened to me a short while before the heater matrix gave up! :(

Now why did you have to go and say a thing like that. :( I assumed it was me DDIs getting hot and causing condensation. Better start wearing me asbestos troosies for the day that it explodes over my legs.

It's something to do with having the side vent blowing hot air towards the open window. Mine has done it for 5 years.

Not sure if its different for a vr but I managed to change the heater matrix on my '92 16v without taking the whole dash out, just most of the centre console and panels above the foot well. Wasn't the easiest job but having seen the pictures of cars with the whole dash out I didn't really fancy doing that! This is actually how the 'how to' in the KB explains it http://the-corrado.net/wiki/index.php/H ... eplacement. The guide is slightly over simplified but once you follow the guide and see what your actually trying to get to its becomes self explanatory.

Just to add, my dials steamed up just before my matrix went but still steam up occasionally now and again, probably a bit of residual damp in the car. Have you spilt anything in the car or left the window open when it has rained?

It's something to do with having the side vent blowing hot air towards the open window. Mine has done it for 5 years.

Yup mine's done it for 3 years too!

Try Rain-x stuff for condensation, seemed to work for a bit on mine..

Yup mine's done it for 3 years too!

Try Rain-x stuff for condensation, seemed to work for a bit on mine..

Hope it is that and not the 1st sign of the matrix blowing.

Cheers for the tip i'll give it a whirl...

Yeah mine used to do it - I think it just boils down to the damp air casuing your clocks to mist up when they start getting warmer! Mine used to do it more if it hadn't been driven for a couple of days so I'd put it down to damp interiors before I got worried about heater matrix...

Yeah don't panic guys. I replaced my matrix not long ago and my clocks steam up too, but only very ocassionally.

The usual matrix clues are:-

1) Water level dropping - about a pint a week

2) Steam on the windscreen. Starts off in the bottom corners, then eventually steams the whole screen as the leak worsens.

Use rain-x anti fog as dr_mat suggests or go to a local motorbike shop and get a visor anti fog stick, they are designed for use on plastic and should last for ages.

Or just drive the car and stop worrying about every little thing that might cause expense in the future... !! :)

I've had a feel about in the passenger footwell, and found the carpet a bit wet towards the front, definitely not coolant though smells clean, so it looks like the foliage seal in the scuttle need the seal re-doing. It would explain the recent damp steamyness...