20vturbo

corrado 20v turbo, finally finished

this is the 4th generation rear caliper bracket and hopefully the last.

started with some worktop to make a template which i can work from.

IMG_2591.jpg

then i made it out of mdf to check the design and make sure it will work.

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

a big block of aircraft grade billet aluminum, 200mm x 250mm x 44mm

IMG_2594.jpg

roughly cut to shape and my template attached to it

IMG_2595.jpg

fixed to the bench and started machining it

IMG_2596.jpg

the finished product

IMG_2597.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_2603.jpg

Wow is there no limits to your skills? I want to cry everytime I look at this thread. I'm so ashamed of my lack of skills :D

i redid my headliner in black

IMG_2614.jpg

did some parts of the headlight reflector in black

IMG_2610.jpg

i got 15mm spacers all round to clear the brakes

IMG_2618.jpg

sandblasted the hubs and then gave them a coat of stone chip

IMG_1599-1.jpg

took the driveshafts apart and let the cv's soak in the parts washer

IMG_2612.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

its amazing the amount of dirt that comes out a cv when you clean it

IMG_2619.jpg

a coat of acid 8

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

the shaft and the cv's got a coat of stone chip and then i fitted them

IMG_1633-1.jpg

all the wires attached to the dash were re wrapped and then the dash was put in

IMG_1631.jpg

brand new genuine windscreen and brand new genuine trim

IMG_1630.jpg

the front suspension and brakes completed

IMG_1600-1.jpg

IMG_1632.jpg

i have the 2 rear calipers fitted, you can just about see the 2 sliver bolts of the handbrake caliper

IMG_1627.jpg

the rear brakes give the back wheels a bit of poke

IMG_1628-1.jpg

custom clutch pipe made to go from the corrado clutch pipe to the mk4 slave cylinder

IMG_1621.jpg

forge recalculation valve

IMG_1623.jpg

the engine is nearly finished, just waiting for a few final bits

IMG_1625.jpg

remodeled bumper bar to fit around the intercooler

IMG_1636-1.jpg

steel attached to the top inside of the bumper because when i cut out the hole for the intercooler it went a bit wobbly

IMG_1637-1.jpg

tidied up the power steering pipes

IMG_1690-1.jpg

the first proper pic of the underside

IMG_1695.jpg

syncro shift goodness now inside the box

IMG_1698-1.jpg

i took the car for its first spin in two years, just around the yard, gave the engine a clean

IMG_1706-1-1.jpg

a few pics from last weekend, just a quick wash for the show

IMG_1735.jpg

IMG_1738.jpg

IMG_1742.jpg

my can interface box arrived so i could connect my laptop up to the ecu

IMG_1749.jpg

all looks good, im seeing intake temps between 23 and 28 at the throttle body when driving and around 40 when stopped so it looks like the intercooler works well.

IMG_1750.jpg

beautiful!

when i win the lottery, i'll happily commission you to rebuild by collection of delapidated motors.

:notworthy:

Blimey, i cant beleive i missed this thread!!

Amazing work fella... How the hell are u insuring it at 17/18?

Blimey, i cant beleive i missed this thread!!

Amazing work fella... How the hell are u insuring it at 17/18?

its going to be on a classic policy.

glad to see it's finally coming together for you.

those are some decent intake temps - good to see.

hows the driving experience for you, not too much lag etc? got many miles under the wheel as yet?

tidy build - brakes are a bit too extrovert for me, as is the obvious front mount intercooler, but i guess you can't really get round the intercooler bit too much without compromising temps.

you going to get it on the rollers once it's all squared away?

Build is amazing, love the attention to detail.

Think the brakes stand out a bit too much for me, think black would look alot more discreet and i reckon some black meshing in front of the intercooler would look alot better and hide it a bit but hats off to the progress!

incredible!! :salute:

glad to see your finished, so now you have the pleasure of driveing.

i always liked the slat insert look infront of the intercooler but i guess it would be more restricting.

brakes look awseome!

:D

glad to see it's finally coming together for you.

those are some decent intake temps - good to see.

hows the driving experience for you, not too much lag etc? got many miles under the wheel as yet?

tidy build - brakes are a bit too extrovert for me, as is the obvious front mount intercooler, but i guess you can't really get round the intercooler bit too much without compromising temps.

you going to get it on the rollers once it's all squared away?

i am putting black mesh infront of the intercooler to hide it, just havent got a chance yet, plenty other jobs to do first.

cant comment too much on the driving experience as it hasent been properly mapped yet but so far seeing boost around 2k, suspension is very good and not too harsh, brakes are brilliant, the 4 puck clutch feels just like the standard one and the limo gives loads of traction.

the brakes might not be to everyones taste but i love big brakes (you can never have brakes that are too big) and after all the effort of getting them to fit i wasnt going to hide them away with black.

at the end of the year its getting mapped so i will finaly see some power figures.

Have enjoyed reading and watching this build any plans to go to Ed38? would like a closer look at this monster :dorky: lol

Like what you have done with front bumper, must make a real diffrence all that extra air!! even more so on a cold day :) Thought about doing this my self, but was concerned about taking away structural integrity buy cutting the metal C section that links the front chassis legs. Have you welded any braces to the metal sections?

Also did you buy you can interface box from QPE or from SBD?

Well done

Sukh

Have enjoyed reading and watching this build any plans to go to Ed38? would like a closer look at this monster :dorky: lol

Like what you have done with front bumper, must make a real diffrence all that extra air!! even more so on a cold day :) Thought about doing this my self, but was concerned about taking away structural integrity buy cutting the metal C section that links the front chassis legs. Have you welded any braces to the metal sections?

Also did you buy you can interface box from QPE or from SBD?

Well done

Sukh

wont be making the trip, no interior and hasent been mapped yet.

the hole in the bumper is the only way to do it, fannying about with ducts just dosent work, the 23 degree intake temp speaks for itself. the intercooler is inside the top half of the bumper so i couldnt put any braces on the bumper bar. the bumper bar does not add any rigidity to the front chassis legs because you have the front engine support already bolted to the exact same place. the bumper bar is just there to protect things in the event of a crash.

i got the can interface from sbd, i hate that stupid stereo jack that qpe use. i now have a proper connecter which is the same as the vag diagnostic port that i can mount to the dash.

Cheers, the interface box looks like a worthwhile investment lol

Be intresting to see what air temp figures I get as well, might have to get the angler grinder out if there too high :D

What kind of oil temps do you get? mine needs a good spanking to get into the 90s, if you potter arround it sits in the mid 80s

my oil temp sender hasent arrived yet so i dont know but i have a 16 row mocal oil cooler right behind the grill so it should never go above the low 90's

that's good you're fitting a front grille to make things a bit more subtle - big fan of that idea :D

fair one about not hiding the brakes too i guess after the effort of drilling discs, fabricating carriers etc etc

agreed you can't have brakes that are too large - still think the rears are a touch over-kill for the application, but that's only my opinion and i certainly don't want to detract from the fact that you've done a cracking job with the build - all looks top notch :clap:

my oil temp sender hasent arrived yet so i dont know but i have a 16 row mocal oil cooler right behind the grill so it should never go above the low 90's

not too sure about that...

that turbo will be getting the oil nice and warm for you when you're pushing the car at full-chat. you'll undoubtedly keep temps nicely under control using the 16-row, but i think that low 90's is a bit optimistic...

cheers again for the update - always enjoy reading your thread. bet you can't wait to get it mapped and get some miles under the wheels! fair play to you for your patience and doing things properly - i would be like a giddly little school boy wanting to drive it as soon as i possibly could! :nuts: