Sign in to follow this  
jenks

Brake upgrade keeping 15" alloys?

Planning on tracking my old corrado which I have taken back in a P/X

I have the 312mm brake conversion sitting in my garage however Im aware that I cant use 15inch alloys due to size, now I really want to keep 15inch alloys as imo they are the best handling size of wheel.

Ive used the search but no luck.

I dont want to spend too much however be interesting to see what is worth spending money on and what others have done?

So far I have been thinking a good set of pads (redstuff,etc)

Braided lines

Uprated brake fluid

or doing the exact same with the 288mm conversion?

TIA

I think 288's are the absolute largest you're going to get on under standard 15" wheels.. so those, probably refurbed with decent disks and pads, DOT5.1 brake fluid, and Goodridge hoses all round should see you right :)

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but kinda related - but does anyone know if the braided Goodridge hose set I got fitted for the standard VR6 set up will be compatible with the 288mm set up?

I'd like to go bigger than 288 but on the other hand it would be nice to retain the option of putting the Solitudes back on.

You can always go to a 4 pot set-up with 280mm discs, wilwoods will fit and there are various companies offering complete kits (rally designs and some bloke on ebay)

Don't mean to hi-jack this thread but kinda related - but does anyone know if the braided Goodridge hose set I got fitted for the standard VR6 set up will be compatible with the 288mm set up?

I thought the 288's used a banjo fitting of hose, I know the 256's don't not sure about the 280's, thought they were the same as the 256s.

You can always go to a 4 pot set-up with 280mm discs, wilwoods will fit and there are various companies offering complete kits (rally designs and some bloke on ebay)

Cheers Yan - another possibility to feed into the melting pot :?

Yeah - problem is they're like £1,500 (or more!) - you can buy a bloody decent Corrado for that these days!

Yeah - problem is they're like £1,500 (or more!) - you can buy a bloody decent Corrado for that these days!

Yeah id keep my eye on 2nd hand items if they are as much as that new!

288mm came on late mk3 vr6's and the odd mk4 yeah? What required tof it these again as Im sure it isnt much???

Eh !?!

Calipers are £120 each, brackets and pads cheap enough and you can use with standard G60 discs.

You'd be suprised at what you can fit under 15's - it's just finding the right combo!

288mm came on late mk3 vr6's and the odd mk4 yeah? What required tof it these again as Im sure it isnt much???

Late Mk 3 stuff is a straight fitment with carriers and discs. Ive got a full set up sitting to go on mine for thr same reason that I wanted to retain the Speeline's.

8mm doesnt sound much but apparently the pad area is a lot better.

Actually its around £500 for the whole kit from Rally Designs and they are a little expensive too, you really end up paying £150ish for someone to put some holes into billet aluminum for the mounting brackets. I think the real value of these sorts of kits is the loss in unsprung weight and the fact that you have pistons on each side and not a sliding caliper which is prone to uneven wear and seizing.

Rally design kit blurb here: link

Wow - that's not that bad! So you get discs and calipers in that kit. Do they just bolt onto the existing carriers? Then you need to source pads and hoses..?

Cool...

I think the real value of these sorts of kits is the loss in unsprung weight and the fact that you have pistons on each side and not a sliding caliper which is prone to uneven wear and seizing.

Absolutely and therefore you get much more consistent pedal feel. Aluminium calipers shed temperature faster too. Cast iron calipers retain it, further augmenting fade problems.

My AP Racing calipers are a lot bigger than the 288/312 caliper, but are a 3rd of the weight. The 330mm AP disc with alloy bell weighs the same as a standard 288 solid iron disc.

The net result of all that is with my Team Dynamics Pro Race1 7x17" wheels is a reduction in unsprung weight of 3Kg (total, inc tyres) per axle over the 15" speedlines and 288s.

So you can go bigger, be lighter and handle better than 15s....especially with 40 profile tyres having more feel and stability on hard turns.

Just a heads up with the 288mm conversion, it's made a huge difference over standard to mine but don't think all 15's are safe.

On my Speedlines and Teledials the balance weights catch the calipers so you have a tiny amount of room to play with, not all 15's will fit.

I'm running Goodridge hoses, 5.1 fluid, 40 groove CRN discs, and the new version red stuff pads and it absolutely batters the standard 280's, big big improvement.

Wow - that's not that bad! So you get discs and calipers in that kit. Do they just bolt onto the existing carriers? Then you need to source pads and hoses..?

Cool...

Yeah its a straight bolt on kit, I think if you already have a goodridge hose kit it will be a straight fit, pads are easy as they sell wilwood pads on the same site. Looks like wilwood have revised the calipers to include dust seals too, should make them durable for UK all weather road use.

Hi-Spec kit is here: link

Late Mk 3 stuff is a straight fitment with carriers and discs. Ive got a full set up sitting to go on mine for thr same reason that I wanted to retain the Speeline's.

Cool so just the carriers and discs to complete the 288mm conversion?

i did have some 288 carriers sitting around doing nothing.

if i've still got them, do you want them for £30 posted?

Sounds good pete, but I have someone local breaking a few mk3 Vr6's so I'll see how I get on and get back to you. :)

Cool so just the carriers and discs to complete the 288mm conversion?

Im pretty sure you need the calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

Im pretty sure you need the calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

you do indeed, but he said at the start that he already has the 312 setup, meaning he only needs discs and carriers now... :)

Ive just got some 288 calipers and carriers courtesy of bigpantsbaby, Im wanting to get some braided hoses for them, does anyone know which ones i need to get? do the standard mk3 golf hoses fit the corrado?? cheers

Ive just got some 288 calipers and carriers courtesy of bigpantsbaby, Im wanting to get some braided hoses for them, does anyone know which ones i need to get? do the standard mk3 golf hoses fit the corrado?? cheers

I believe people use the mk3 hoses with the 288s.

yep, late golf mk3 vr set of 6 goodridge hoses is what you need to fit a corrado with golf 288s

Seriously thinking of getting the Rally Designs Wilwood kit for my VR6.

Are the Corrado's front brakes the same as Mk2 Golfs then? And do you know what lug mount spacing is (76 or 94mm)?

Cheers,

Rob