robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Lol Sean , I try ! . I forgot to mention the petrol tank straps will be done too .

I'm after a set of those too. ;)

I'm going to support the tank and remove mine Sean , then repaint them , they are in great condition , so not there's not a lot of prep needed .

That's fair enough mate. Mine look in reasonable knick, although I think a media blast would be required. The clamp and retaining bolt at the rear look terrible though so I'm dreading trying to get that off.

Having had a good look at the hubs [suspension arm] im going to restore these too. It seems pointless not doing them while its all in bits , they are in a sorry state , only surface rust but they need sorting . I was begining to wonder if i had taken on to much yesterday. Its all well and good on a ramp , but on the drive its hard work , yes its worth it ,but some of the bolts are going to be a right pig .

May as well do the wishbones too Rob. And the ARB, and splash shields, and subframe, and.................... the list goes on. :rolleyes:

Where did you order the wishbones from Rob? It's something I was wondering whether to get a set refurbished, or just get aftermarket ones but unsure of quality is all.

I got all my stuff from vedubmachine mate . Tps didn't have most of it , VW Heritage still have some stock though . Wishbones come with the bushes in place too .

Took delivery of this little lot over the weekend . All parts from vedubmachine and service parts from TPS .

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0309.jpg

Progress is a little slow because of the weather . I have managed to remove the sump , clean it , paint it and fit it back on .

All the nuts n bolts are being soaked in WD40 everyday , as they are being very stubborn when it comes to removal .

Im sure i will get there eventualy

IMG_0304.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rob

Looking good mate, just one thing I'd advise, when reassembling use some copper grease on all the nuts and bolts. We use it on everything on the trains, deffo makes removing stuff later on so much easier.

Rog.

Thanks Sean , it will be a while lol. Its going to take some muscle power and a few scraped knuckles !. How is yours coming on by the way ?

Coming on slowly mate. Only really have a couple of pics of 1 area to update. There's no rush though and they've done it well, so I'd rather that than them rush it. I'll update over the next couple of days though.

Took delivery of this little lot over the weekend . All parts from vedubmachine and service parts from TPS .

IMG_0313.jpg

Rob

How come the wishbones are different ones? Top ones looks like corrado, bottom one doesn't?

Think the 5w-40 is the longlife platinum stuff everything VAG seems to use at the minute. Synta silver 10w-40 is what it should be Rob, although I'm sure I read that it's no longer stocked. May be worth finding a good quality replacement bud.

I've just replaced it with 5w40 Sean this is not the right oil ? What with this and what looks like to be a wrong wishbone and the pita door rods , this car is beginning to get me down . Two steps forward four steps back !

Has yours had much engine work done Rob? iirc yours has average mileage, but if it's had work relatively recently you should be safe mate. Thicker oil for a slightly "looser" engine will prevent excess wear, although I wouldn't panic mate, the mileage you do in it shouldn't cause any harm. It may sound a little more noisy than usual is all. Speaking with oilman anyway, he's mentioned that the Synta silver 10w-40 is old hat now and not particularly good compared to modern oils either. It's a little frustrating but it's not a big deal so don't worry too much mate.

Mine has 151,000 on the clock Sean . New TSR head at 100,000, chains and tensioners were done at the same time . When I removed the sump it was as clean as a whistle , no metal fragments , nothing at all . So fingers crossed it should be fine . Having said that I've realised since I've changed the oil and replaced the sump gasket , that one of the wishbone bolts is directly behind the sump , so this may have to come off again , to get the bolt out . So I might put different oil in anyway , if the sump has to be removed again . The engine has always been as quiet as a mouse , I don't get any tappet or cam noise at all .

You can jack up the engine a bit to get wishbone bolt out. Just means undoing the bolts on the engine mounts. Which can be a bit awkward tbh.

Deffo looks like a wrong wishbone I'm sorry to say.

Thanks for pointing it out Jim , well spotted ! . I've emailed James at vedubmachine with the part numbers , glad you spotted it now , otherwise I would not have known till it came to the fitting . It is a completely different part number .