robrado974

Robrado's rado she is staying

Congrats on the pass mate!

My tester is like that too. The MOT charge is only £25 and I'm sure they get the hump knowing they won't be getting any extras for sorting "problems". It funny though, this was the first time the guy actually engaged with me, so I think he's come to the realisation that I won't go away. They are anal as they come, but at the end of the day they are very thorough, which is a good thing I suppose.

I agree the job has to be taken seriously . We can't have death traps on the road . But yeah they do go over board sometimes pulling minor stuff and yeah they get a bit umpty when they don't make any extra dough , to put things right , especially when you say it's ok I can do it myself !

Glad you got a pass. was in the same boat last Saturday when i took my Vr for MOT, was chuffed when he gave me a pass as well.

was more bothered about him having the car running all the time it was being tested, cost me a fortune in fuel.

One good thing, the new radiator etc was tested and had no issues with it over heating, which is good.

Nice one Roberto, I too had an advisory on the rear wheel bearings, my tester said it was very common on these and Mk2 Golfs and not to worry about it too much, he just had to pick it up incase they are spot tested by the ministry.

Rog.

Great news on your pass too then Ray . Yeah it seems common Rog , I had the same advisory 3 MOT's back , not mentioned last year though ! . I suppose when you do as little mileage as me , your not really wearing it out much .

The rear wheel bearings are supposed to have a wee bit of play in them and a lot of MOT testers see this as a fail.

I'm lucky my MOT man is very friendly - won't let anything obviously dangerous go but isn't overly fussy about silly things

There should be some slight movement when jacked up with the handbrake off holding the wheel at 3 and 9oclock and rocking them gently, swap your hands to 12 and 6 oclock and you'll see more movement due to stub axle wear. If you try to adjust out the wear at 12 and 6 you'll reduce the life of the taper bearings.

If they're not noisy or rough when spun (hold the road spring when you spin the wheel as it amplifys any roughness in the bearing) then they're OK, the tester is more used to modern cassette type bearings and is just covering his arse.

Sean , that's the ones I could not think of , thank you .

Jamie ,Dox , thanks for the info , very useful . My mate works for kwikfit and takes the car to work on MOT days , so pretty friendly when it comes to the niggly bits , I have another tester I use too , equally as friendly lol .

The rear bearings are exactly the same parts as 1960s Beetles use on the front wheels, the technology is old and needs to be tested as such, too tight and the bearings squeeze all the grease out so the bearings are effectively turning dry against the races

Small update . I put the car in on tuesdsay night to have it mopped and polished . It has not been done since i had it repainted four years ago , or was it five now ? i cant remember .They are iphone pics and the sun went in so not the best quality but im pleased at the results of the polish . The chap did mention to me that once he had stripped the old polish and wax off ,it had quite a lot of scratches , but these have all gone now . I also dropped the rear beam off to be dipped , blasted and powder coated . I will very soon have all my parts for the underside refurb . I managed to get to a friends house today to get the other parts i needed , centre tunnel handbrake , heated loom and switch , heater controls , fog and indicators and boot carpet . Im sure there were some other bits too . Anyways here are some pics , again sorry about the quality .

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0610.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

Thanks for looking

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Right, can everyone stop posting pictures of their incredibly good looking cars.

I've got things to do tomorrow without having to wash and polish my car.