Rams

Rotrex Charged Storm: She's Gone!

My birthday present from the girlfriend, now in RHD as she ordered the wrong ones initially.... bless her ...

Just need the sender and other bits

Shes back!

Just swirved into Asda to take a few pics on the way home. Going to spend some time tomorrow fitting the speaker wiring etc for the comps and to try and get the door cards fitted etc.

Happy to have her back looking smart and sinkage free and rust free!

Yeah, yeah, yeah... very nice. Is that a scratch from a photographer's tripod case I can see in pic No. 4?!?!

Obviously just kidding bud; looks A1!

Mark

LOL, no all is well. Even the scratch my girlfriend did to the bonnet with her hand bag has been polished goodbye!

Cheers guys for the comments. some more pics to follow soon

what headlight bulbs do you use mate? nice & white looking....

They are Phillips ultra bright bought from Halfords with a wiring upgrade bud

Cheers mate - Looking good!!

They are Phillips ultra bright bought from Halfords with a wiring upgrade bud

Just putting in an MDF floor in the boot, made a template in 3 sections and will re do it once its spot on.

Speakers will be mounted to new pods and found some nice stainless screws to use and hopefully if im not too busy today I can get them wired up. Thinking a metal coat hanger will help feed wiring through door grommits?? Is there an easier way?

Right.....

Went back to the painter today as he re painted the driver side last week but I am still not happy with it. Tiny tiny dimples/bubbles on the door and a defect in the rear panel. So, its going back for the 4th time and all will be re done. It's just a bummer that the car will be off the road again but I just cant stand paying out all that money and for it not to be right.

The painter has said he will re do it and wanted me to be happy so I am pleased with his response. He's a decent guy and as long as the problems are rectified I will be happy in the end.

Just wished I had taken it to one company from start to finish so blame could not be placed with the previous guy. You live and learn but I was worried incase he was going to refuse but I was decent enough with him as I could have got rattled about it but that never solves a problem, usually makes it worse.

Probably going back in around 3 / 4 weeks time and hopefully for not too long. He's got a back log of cars to do but last time he had the car for a month. He damaged the door rubber aswell where it tucks in under the mirror plastic housing. For some reason, I cant get the plastic lug to snap in on the bottom. It was a new one as well. Today driving back, put the window down and as I made it go back up, the rubber lifted with it. It's truly fudged now so will just try and re bend the inside till it goes back for paint and can fit a new one after.

I also found sanding marks in the lacquer on the otherside which will be sorted also. Then hopefully the paint will be 100%!

On a positive note, the last few days of boming around have been great, rear brake shield fitted yesterday and brakes fully bled.

New oem centre gauges fitted last night and removed Eibach rear ARB.

Wikki was most helpful.... Wire neatly routed, used the ramp and managed to squeeze into the gap to put the dual pole sender and wiring in. I did have the sender wires the wrong way round at first but quickly rectified.

Very happy with them. Something new to look at inside.

Had a close one last week, decided to take the car out to stretch her legs, my usual little route out to the dual carriage ways to Ringwood etc. got over taken by a focus and he looked in to my car whilst he drove by and as I was doing the speed limit incase it was police. So as he went fairly quickly past me and looked in I though, the punk wants to race... Let him get quite far ahead and waited for the 50 mph to open to 70 mph.

I nailed the throttle and went hooning past, laughing and thinking well, just wasted you.... Slowed back up to normal speeds and exited the slip road to the roundabout.

Look behind me and the focus is coming steaming up behind me and trying to undertake me... So I speed up to avoid him getting past and reach the edge of the roundabout and his seatbelt comes off, plus he diagonally parks across my car. I'm still thinking at this point, ****, I obviously ****ed him off and was working out how to monourver around him and saw a radio in his hand and he jumps out and said, just because I don't have blue lights!!!! He said, you went thundering past me and then sort of smirked....

I said, hey, I'm sorry... I was doing the speed limit and you over took me and I thought you wanted to play. He said, just be careful next time and jumped back in his car and went on his merry way! Phew and laughter happened and a normal drive back commenced as he was on the long dual carriage way going the same way as me.

Get home and my friend has just poped round with his Audi RS4 estate 07 plate and said, come and take it for a spin! One of the most refined cars I've driven... Noticed a bit of tram lining but otherwise, so so incredible smooth and the sound......

Right, the car sailed through the MOT today, no advisories so happy days. A mechanic walked in pretending to jerk himself off when he looked at the car so I took that as a compliment! lol

Found that all my stereo problems were down to the amp and it's now being sent off for repair. £50 just to send it away up front!

Hoping undertrays will be finished soon and rear door cards. Took the handbrake handle in to be trimmed as well. I have had problems with my newly fitted door rubber strip as the door card leather is a touch thicker and it lifted the rubber off outside from the inner strip pushing too hard on the glass and ****ed it, so I have a new one ready to go on when she gets repainted. Received my new window from Pat. The people who removed the glass ripped the seal and more glue was used to the rear door card sat futher away and bugged me. So new window, nicely glued in will take care of that.

Sold my Eiback rear ARB kit and things feel a bit more road compliant and less firm, going to raise the front up a fraction as its just too low, watching the MOT guy drive onto the ramps whilst im lying on the floor is just not cool. Rear is fine, if anything, might drop the rear a fraction?

The down side is in a couple of week, the car is going to be completely repainted. Starting from scratch and having it stripped to metal as I've still got sinkage going on. Its ****ing me off to say the least but now it's down to who pays what between me and the painter but im not giving in. He agreed to repaint the side he just did a few weeks ago and later called saying, for it to be perfect he needs to srip it to metal so that hasnt been discussed further yet but I have since found sinkage on the passenger door and contacted him and he said we will sort something out when I bring the car in. I will more than likely have to remove all interior again and cover up the dash and get an ear ache from her with all the car parts lying around.

Even when I wash the car, I get lines in the paint, swirls and thats using snow foam, good soap, soft hand mits, gentle strokes and not going over the same panel more that twice. Im not sure if it has anything to do with the oven not being a proper oven and is heated by a gas heater which contains water? I have to plosh the car afterwards to not see the swirls. When I saw the paint job just after it was painted the paint looked dull/flat and I wasn't best pleased. After it was all polished up it was gleaming but surely it should look better straight out of the gun?

Used Standox paint which Im told is very good quality....

The pinter keeps saying that as he didnt do all the prep he cant guarantee someone elses work but I brought the car in 3 quarters primered and flatted back and he said he needed to re primer it as the lines werent accurate and used a blue paint, not mystic and primered the car. I thought a lighter primer should be used to give the colour plenty of depth but the colour is deep enough. He did you some base coat in the lacquer to give that extra glissen so not sure if I should just get him leave it as standard mystic.

Any advise on the above is appreciated. Now the painter is saying he wont paint another car if he hasnt done the prep and was happy to do the side but I dont think that was him doing the bare metal respray to that side if you get me? Eitherway, Ive spent an arm and a legg and its just not in my nature to give up.

Rear brake shields now fitted.

New battery fitted.

new JL mono amp for sub.

''A mechanic walked in pretending to jerk himself off when he looked at the car so I took that as a compliment!''

Amazing!

Honestly mate, your getting the whole car completely resprayed! Feel for you, but if its not perfect then you want to make sure your getting your money's worth, it will be worth it in the long run.

Hoping to pick my charger up around April, will prob get involved and help csaba fit it and see how it runs on my current engine. I'm game for a curry any time after the 20th as its pay day then and I've spent enough as it is this month ;)

I'm going to be jealous when you get that thing fitted Craig!

I would be happy to lend a hand when you get it done at Chubs, perfect way to see what's involved and if it's a route to consider.

Will give John a shout and post the curry night, is a week day or weekend better for you after pay day?

U up for going to one of the events/gatherings soon? If my car is not at the body shop that is!

What do you think guys? Had the small trim bits that clip into the back of the mirror housing area done. Plus the rear centre armrest.

Next week the handbrake handle will be finished, the door insert strips, spare set in alcantara to break up door cards.

I am having the undertrays done but not sure if i should go all leather, as in the part you dont see and just do the front? Im asking as they are going to use quite a bit of leather..... the insides or pocket bits will be lined in alcantara just like my rear centre armrest and door speaker pods.

Or just leather the front faces and carpet the underneath? Maybe it would act as some more sound proofing?

Also, I have a lead on some Recaro Corrado electric and heated seats! its only taken 20 years to find them but its not in the bag just yet. Hope im not tempting fate.....

Edited by Rams

simply brilliant development on this car. Those alcantara covered inserts are a great touch ;)

IMO this is one of the top ten Corrados. Amazing dedication and attention to detail. Your photography skills are ace too!

Keep up the great work

H

Hi,

Cheers guys for the positive comments, I thought you were being sarcastic about the photos! LOL I take them mostly with iphone. There are 1 or 2 taken by a professional if they are the ones you mean?

Managed to put the MK4 expansion bottle on the other day, much cleaner looking but my engine bay has had little attention so far and sticking a nice new clean part always shows how bad the rest is. Washed the battery insulation cover and looked again at my power steering bottle holder. I am convinced mine has been cut short where the metal arm fixes to the wing therefor it doesnt sit straight inline with the washer bottle. Beeen trying to get this part for ages as its all one piece and rather not extend the arm to suit.

Also sorted out the knock/feed back through the steering wheel. It was loose top metal plates, just needed to tightened the 22mm nut and all is well. Changed the cig lighter bulb and hosing as it wasnt working. The housing part was different so ordered both parts.

One thing I would love to do is figure out why I ge vibration in first gear and can sometime feel a pulsing through the gear stick when gently accelerating. It was covered before but never concluded and seemed to be a Storm classic/ late C issue. Has anyone else got this currently?

The pulsing is very very subtle, but think the issues are linked. The gear stick moves forward and backwards when setting off in first gear.

I also picket up some trim bits i needed for ...... you guessed it, trimming! lol Getting the coat hanger hook trimmed! Should I refit the grab handles???? Changed the rear fuel tank strap bracket to tidy things up.

Got quite a stack of Corrado parts to sell now and will be taking pics soon and advertising. Need to clear some space.

My JL amp is being repaired, they stung me £174.99 for the repair in the end, less my £50 deposit and only offered 3 month waranty but the amp is decent enough to warant having it fixed.

Lost out on a set of Recaros by 20 euros! Quite moody for a few days after lol. Anyway, im bidding on another set now and since typing I've just been out bit but plenty of time left to bid. Hopefully I will get this set but it's a complete interior so might try and ask the seller just to send the front seats and he can sell on the rest and maybe do something on delivery for it unless someone needs rear seats and all other interior bits in cream leather?

Have been driving about in my girlfriends TT, picked it up a few weeks ago off a friend of mine, amazing price! Brobably my best purchase in terms of value and just loving the feel of 4 wheel drive. It's so much more comfortable around roundabouts and coming off bends when powering through. I have been changing the rear brakes and some service type stuff and had a good look beneath. Had the luxury of my mechanics ramp and he kept saying, 'why do you keep looking underneath, especially at the rear!' Im thinking, 'can I strip this 4 wheel drive system and leave her with a shell!'

Im sure its a NO, but can anything be used from the TT drivetrain wise for converting Corrados into 4 wheel drive? Haldex sounds very appealing. I am convinced that I want to make my car 4 wheel drive now but wondering if it will feel like a better corrado or if it wont feel like a corrado at all? I have always been convinced by the corrado and the way they handle as a front wheel drive car and it just making you feel sure footed. Has anyone had the luxury to comment?

Edited by Rams