oneohtwo

oneohtwo's VR6 - New Engine!

Damn that all looks good.Geeba might do a bit more with his gorgeous engine now

Sooo jealous, well done mate, big commitment and awesome

Thanks all! Been a bit inactive due to the Christmas period, but back to it now. Lower chains are on!:

y4mSOXDCmo_JVf7YWQU17AiG8DPvTVpxgvUEvKsBVxnvJgni7KAwTR999J5bp0d1WLtHZt0Qg-vRo03BeL4a0OVWfcfqmscprWQdfKWFAzGc17bRERCHnfVVzq2rq0nHTVKj7vxBvx-yrmtfa2Nm-yJ_OGhwOa_P0UmZVZ9GOTkoGiaCqIhU0NK1AzcEi5ec8QBzeFBv1JP95lzwmdcV1KMTQ?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

However, the million dollar question is, does anyone know what this little grub screw is from?!

y4mtIPecinyYZfZYa45UukPbNxdIhyAAHbBwGsjJdoltsMqhuAcqAt4dwEPeZ546gjFnCqnvmm9SKM7_1iVilcoG-s6f8GKXflr0c_T1-inpstql-9IWhlSqumdISD67tImGUBTscRAI8oV6yB4T6v3CVGDrx9vabbiv2Ara12ULsGcAitvSv8jpIndPgfgCtPwoMztJ7WFS5sQf8gmHXXoNg?width=371&height=660&cropmode=none

I've bagged and labelled every damn screw except this one apparently! I distinctly remember carefully taking it out as well, and then must have put it on the side to continue taking apart whatever it was I was removing at that time before forgetting about it. Now for the life of me I can't remember; I am hoping it presents itself as obvious when the time comes but would be great if anyone has any ideas!

Progress has stalled a bit due mostly to making extra work for myself tidying bits up and also a special project I've been working on that if it works will be excellent... but could also go horribly wrong.

But in the meantime late Christmas present to myself:

y4mWz4Lwyup9_EaBlOsFiSwH4h4kQ29POGG0muE7

Always wanted a set so pretty excited. Understand some sets shipped with the wrong length rear springs? So will need to double check that, and the installation guide seems to indicate a few more bits than in the box, but I presume that's just reusing the existing bits on the car...

(Still haven't found where the tiny grub screw goes though...)

Edited by oneohtwo

Ooh B12, very nice! You'll need the correct front spring plate, as they are different in size on some (early/late). New top mounts and bearings are well worth it too. 

The correct spring part number should end in 2002HA. 👍

Thanks for the info. Will check that out. 

Is OEM best for the top mounts and bearings still? Assuming they're not obsolete...

Great work have you got the engine back in the bay yet. Good reading what was done to your engine as mine is having exactly the same done at Stealth shortly.  Will have to pop in and see him when the engine is out and see if there are any hard to reach parts that could do with a powder coating, Might get the alternator refurbished as well with the easy access. 

Nice I have that suspension setup on my car (pics in my thread). Do checkout the rear springs, I bought through Larkspeed who were great at getting exchange sets out within a couple of weeks directly from Eibach.

As Keyo said the ones ended 2002HA are the right ones. Suprisingly the onces supplied in the kit are a good inch shorter than the replacements and 2 inches shorter than stock. I'd guess the rears supplied in the kit are suppsed to go with the 50mm lowering springs eibach offer rather than the 20-25mm that's supposed to be with the b12 kit.

The suspension kit once setup is great though, initially I found it harsh but subsequently have had all my bushed replaced and the ride is now great. The rear beam bushes made a huge difference to softening suspension response - those dips between concrete sections on motorways have gone from a harsh jarring feel to a hushed thump.  

On 3/13/2020 at 4:10 PM, Keyo said:

Great work have you got the engine back in the bay yet.  

No sadly not.  Keep making extra work for myself cleaning and painting bits. Should get the head and chains back on this weekend if all goes to plan. Currently slowly cleaning the gearbox up... Bit worried the imminent lockdown is going to cut off the supply of parts as well. Gonna have to start panic buying/stockpiling Corrado parts instead of toilet paper before the end of the week!

Depending on how far you're going and If you're not too worried about how things look, I can only really think of the front engine mount bracket on the actual block that might want powder coating - all the other bits are alloy. There are all the sub frame members mind...

On 3/15/2020 at 9:18 AM, pfnsht said:

The suspension kit once setup is great though, initially I found it harsh but subsequently have had all my bushed replaced and the ride is now great. The rear beam bushes made a huge difference to softening suspension response - those dips between concrete sections on motorways have gone from a harsh jarring feel to a hushed thump.  

Thanks, I'll make sure I do those at the same time, good to know. Excited to have them on, even just for the way it looks!

Oh, arse. Just checked the part number for the springs and it ends in 3002HA not 2002HA.

Place I ordered them from are Dutch so that's going to be a hassle sorting a replacement.

7 minutes ago, oneohtwo said:

Oh, arse. Just checked the part number for the springs and it ends in 3002HA not 2002HA.

Place I ordered them from are Dutch so that's going to be a hassle sorting a replacement.

Bugger mate , I have some used H and R springs I think in Green if any good to anyone.  I ordered mine form Larkspeed from the advise from Matt and they were really good at sorting it out. 

How much would you be looking for for the H&Rs Keyo? Any pics by any chance?

Just have the rears Fla . 

Here are some pictures of the H and R springs taken off my car which are 30 mm lower I believe and the Eibach ones that are meant to be 25 mm lower.(The ones that are meant to be to short)  

thumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrinthumbnail?appId=YMailNorrin

Edited by Keyo

These are the latest version of the 30 mm H and R springs. Same part number as the green ones  but with a    -1  on the end,  just think the colour blue is the only difference to be honest. 

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/corrado/hr-30mm-lowering-suspension-springscorrado-19881995-29-vr6

Edited by Keyo

Well this is great. Contacted the company about the springs and they've have been quite helpful and got in touch with Eibach. Eibach have now comeback and denied all knowledge, said they weren't aware of the problem. Bah, so this is going to be a drawn out affair...

Disappointing, and a bit surprised at Eibach, from reading on here people seem to have got a good response from them and it's been Bilstein who have been unhelpful. Clearly they've never recorded the previous issues...

They've asked if I have any photos showing the issue, but I don't want to put them on knowing they're wrong. Plus I am miles away from being able to do that currently... 

I sent them a link to SeanJaymos old members gallery as it shows them side by side with part numbers etc.... You can send them a link to mine as well if you like, and a few others that have had the same issue and received replacement springs. They can't deny it if you give them multiple instances as evidence that they've set a precedence in replacing them previously.

Yeah, that was the plan - I had sent them a link to, I think, your thread in the first instance in the hope that would help. Seems they need more!

Thanks for the tip, I'll track down SeanJaymos thread...

In the meantime, bit more progress. Airbox tray cleaned of rust and resprayed:

y4mODJ9VJZ31KzeaXrGVSY7iNKfnh8XMyPryFo1h

Always amazed at how purple Aqua blue looks at some angles in certain light - don't tend to notice it on the outside as much.

Ah, good news! Sent a few of the forum threads over and the guy has found someone at Eibach who knows about the problem and should be sending replacement springs next week.

The guy at Extreme Carstyling has been extremely helpful, didn't argue in the first instance, got straight on to Eibach, always responded quickly and has pursued them for an answer. Would be happy to recommend them. Was a very good price on the B12s as well...

Good job! It's looking so clean. I'm working at this right now, sure is time consuming! I hope to get it as clean as you did. Keep it up!

Yeah, it takes bloody ages! The painting is the easiest bit... I spread the cleaning over several months, doing a bit at a time and slowly chipping away at it, because it's bloody tedious and wasn't on the critical path.

I used a combo of:

Dodo Juice Crudzilla

Auto Finesse Eradicate

Bilt Hamber Deox Gel (for rust removal)

White Spirit 

Fibre Glass mould cleaner 

The last two were for removing the last residues of the wax mostly. I really like the Auto Finesse cleaner actually, has done a good job on a lot of other things. Used the Auto Finesse Caramics kit for a bit of added protection once I had finished.

Also raided the gfs stock of wooden nail sticks, as they were perfect for chipping bits of hardened wax off without damaging anything under! Those would be my tips!

Edited by oneohtwo

Thanks mate! Yeah, it takes ages but it's worth it. I can't imagine installing a cleaned up engine back in a dirty bay!
For small stuff I'm using tooth brush and 3M white pads. I'll steal a few wooden nail sticks 😉
Love that blue color by the way!
Cheers!

Had a good weekend where I managed some genuine progress on the engine! Finally got the cylinder head back on, cams installed and the chains on:

y4mrARZkjj7uvQtKfMX93dCQ7h2rr6kuTsvYbapx

Getting the top chain on is a right pain in the arse. You have to leave the guide off, make sure the tensioner is in first, and leave the intermediate sprocket off until you've got the chain on - took me 3 or 4 goes to figure this out! First time forgot the tensioner, and you can't get it on because the gasket is in the way. Then if you put the tensioner in place you can't get the chains on without taking off the intermediate sprocket! You'd think they could have left a bit more room around the gasket... 

Something special to go in:

y4m-MytK6nt-k2ypAmDHLKPE7bFVTCYuSKc2el-D

And in:

y4mwXpCMie7_xvZOlvyDco6FSkaRzvazA0wU1z7e

Also found the cam tool sold on Heritage isn't right... it's far too thin for the slot on the cams so it doesn't lock them in place, which is frustrating. Got them aligned with a feeler gauge to make sure they were in the right place, but they're not fixed so you have to keep checking they've not moved when you're messing with the chains. 

Anyway, ,hopefully onwards and upwards from here!

on youtube the humble mechanic does a very good guide on chain replacement and setting timing on these engines 

i know very little about the vr6 but that gasket at the chain is a strange set up

oh and forgot to say very nice work there

Edited by ger040

Great work, I did this fairly recently and it took me a couple of goes before I was sure I had the top chain right. Same issue with the cam locking tool, I bought a 2nd one and once doubled up they fitted much better 😁👍