n3p

Green Storm Turbo - Sold :(

(life of a contractor)

Explains how you can afford a turbo conversion :lol:

Only kidding, your financial status is none of mine. I do remember the care free contractor days though, well, care free until it came to doing my VAT returns and Corporation tax....that I'd spent.....on turbos. Ooops :lol:

You must have some annihilation stories for us by now, or are you still treading carefully in the honeymoon period? :D

I'm currently serving in the RAF (hence slow progress and no turbos!) as a Aircraft Mechanical Technician and I'm out about this time next year. I'm hoping to get into the ROV world but I'm very interested in the re-engineer scheme that they run. If any contacts are known, then I'll be your best friend!

Anyway, back on topic! TURBO!!

Explains how you can afford a turbo conversion :lol:

Only kidding, your financial status is none of mine. I do remember the care free contractor days though, well, care free until it came to doing my VAT returns and Corporation tax....that I'd spent.....on turbos. Ooops :lol:

You must have some annihilation stories for us by now, or are you still treading carefully in the honeymoon period? :D

I've been very lucky in my line of work is all, especially at the grand old age of 27. I think you may need to think about contracting again if you wanted to turbo your R32 :norty:

No worthy annihilation stories to speak of yet - and by that I mean nothing worth shouting about! Nothing has been able to keep up with the car once on boost, although many sh*tboxes have tried. Some cars that have sat aggressively right up to my bumper, (momentarily) have included an Astra VXR, Jag XF, Audi A6, Civic Type R, 200SX... all it took was a bit of throttle in 4th or 5th and they're on the horizon in my rear view mirror. Funnily enough they seem to hang back after that :)

Just like to clarify that I hadn't goaded any of the above, just cruising along when I'm guessing they wanted to bully an old VW. I'd really like to see how the VR6T compares against some better cars, although in time I'm sure I'll get an opportunity. This boost lark is addictive! It has completely changed the entire characteristics of the car, it's just sheer brutality. The big brakes are also awesome and IMO a definite must if going turbo. Corners are suddenly appearing a hell of a lot quicker than I judge, and I think that if I had poo brakes and no LSD then I probably would have understeered into a ditch by now :lol:

Anyway, my Mocal appears to have sprung a slight leak so the Corrado is off the road until Friday, when I can jack it up and hopefully just tighten the union (it's down the bumper N/S). For now it's back to the Mini Cooper daily hack (which is much better on fuel anyway). Teething problems!

I'm currently serving in the RAF (hence slow progress and no turbos!) as a Aircraft Mechanical Technician and I'm out about this time next year. I'm hoping to get into the ROV world but I'm very interested in the re-engineer scheme that they run. If any contacts are known, then I'll be your best friend!

PM me nearer the time and I'll try and find out the best people to put you in touch with :)

Nick

Any involvement in hydraulic systems? If you have then seriously think about speaking to F1 teams. My mate served his time as an aircraft tech on Tornados and got a chance interview with Lotus F1 as a gearbox technician (eveythings hydralically driven in the cars so very similar). He got it and spent two years with them and has justy moved to Mercedes. He says evem more of the car is now using hydraulics. Pay wont be as good as ROV's but you dont have to worry about sharing boats with manky scotsmen and going to West Africa!!! I know what Id choose.

Anyway back on topic, its good to have little issues like this and learn your way around the car and set up. It help you understand how everything is linked and for future problem solving.

Thanks Nick, it's hugely appreciated!

Funnily enough Coullstar, I have thought about it. The Lotus/Renault factory is literally 5 minutes from where my in laws live over near Enstone and I have a mate who is a CAD designer there at the moment. The only problem I see is that it's a very expensive part of the world to live in and the salaries don't quite add up for me. I saw that advert come up 2 years ago for that job too. Stuck my CV in on a whim but I had to give too much notice on my current job for them to progress any further! Small world eh! I can live with Manky Scotsmen, there are plenty of them in the RAF! It's the high and mighty Scot that bugs me. But I'm South African so not bothered really about the inter country rivalry!

Right, sorry again! Ever thought of 4 wheel drive Nick?

Looks stunning Nick! Big congratulations :) It must be amazing to have the car back finally, and those CH's are the single best wheel on a Corrado.

I hope the bill wasn't too much of a shock. I remember feeling quite faint when Vince showed me the bill for mine a couple of years ago! (I'm not even sure where the battery is for mine at the moment...)

Anyway, weather looks good for the next week, so get that oil leak fixed and put some miles on it!

Ever thought of 4 wheel drive Nick?

I have been thinking about it, but it is a hell of a lot of work so all just a dream at the moment. I was thinking about using an 02M box, which I know can handle high power in FWD applications - not sure about 4WD. Thing is, along with that I'd need custom driveshafts, mounts, and a new clutch/flywheel and diff (as well as the syncro/haldex for the rear) so it would all add up to a fair amount. I've also heard that the ratios on the 02M 6 speed aren't great but obviously that could be sorted (again, at extra cost).

My plan for the winter is to have an SQS strengthened gear set fitted so hopefully my gearbox will be alright. I know it's the 02A casing which can flex causing damage, but at 16psi it should be ok (fingers crossed).

Looks stunning Nick! Big congratulations :) It must be amazing to have the car back finally, and those CH's are the single best wheel on a Corrado.

I hope the bill wasn't too much of a shock. I remember feeling quite faint when Vince showed me the bill for mine a couple of years ago! (I'm not even sure where the battery is for mine at the moment...)

Anyway, weather looks good for the next week, so get that oil leak fixed and put some miles on it!

Thanks Andy, it certainly is great to have the car back. Not sure about CHs being the best wheel - I am a huge fan of the RSs that ChrisL and Harrier have! Not sure if they'd clear my brakes though. Would also PX for LMs if anyone had any ;). The bill was roughly what I had predicted anyway, I knew it would be more than the quoted price but I can sleep happy knowing that everything has been looked at :) Oil leak will be looked at tomorrow so hopefully I can enjoy the car some more over the weekend :)

I've been very lucky in my line of work is all, especially at the grand old age of 27. I think you may need to think about contracting again if you wanted to turbo your R32 :norty:

No worthy annihilation stories to speak of yet - and by that I mean nothing worth shouting about! Nothing has been able to keep up with the car once on boost, although many sh*tboxes have tried. Some cars that have sat aggressively right up to my bumper, (momentarily) have included an Astra VXR, Jag XF, Audi A6, Civic Type R, 200SX... all it took was a bit of throttle in 4th or 5th and they're on the horizon in my rear view mirror. Funnily enough they seem to hang back after that :)

Just like to clarify that I hadn't goaded any of the above, just cruising along when I'm guessing they wanted to bully an old VW. I'd really like to see how the VR6T compares against some better cars, although in time I'm sure I'll get an opportunity. This boost lark is addictive! It has completely changed the entire characteristics of the car, it's just sheer brutality. The big brakes are also awesome and IMO a definite must if going turbo. Corners are suddenly appearing a hell of a lot quicker than I judge, and I think that if I had poo brakes and no LSD then I probably would have understeered into a ditch by now :lol:

Anyway, my Mocal appears to have sprung a slight leak so the Corrado is off the road until Friday, when I can jack it up and hopefully just tighten the union (it's down the bumper N/S). For now it's back to the Mini Cooper daily hack (which is much better on fuel anyway). Teething problems!

I just might have to do that the way pay rises (or the lack thereof) are going these days!

Yeah that's exactly what used to happen to me. Foot down in 4th gear at 3000rpm........the way it used to pull 10 car lengths on tailgaters in an instant made me laugh every time :lol: If ever there was a mod I did to my Corrado that completely exceeded expectations and kept my interest, it was the turbo!

I didn't get to race that many exotic cars. The E90 M3 I told you about, a Gallardo that couldn't pull away from me, an RS5 etc. They weren't arse kickings, just even stevens. The only 2 cars that handed me my arse was an ancient 911 and a Focus ST :lol: Both massively modified obviously, but fair game, you can't win em all :D

148.7% agreed on the brakes. You definitely need them and I find them just as addictive as boost, if not more so!

You are lucky, an oil leak on the Mocal is a tiny teething problem! My Mocal leaked as well but I ended up removing it anyway as it was over-cooling the oil over winter. Try some PTFE tape on the union, that usually helps.

The ability to just obliterate tailgater's in repmobiles is one of the reasons I'd love to turbo a VR6. Get so fed up of impatient turds who'll not only tailgate you but then hang on way past the speed limit, as if they have some point to make that their £30k 2.0 TDI 'S-Line' blandbox is so much more superior than a nearly 20 year old VW worth the same as a set of alloys on their Audi. Just to see the look on their faces as you walked away from them would be worth the money of the turbo conversion alone :)

I used to do a quick 60 - 90 burst when the lorry moves over, and then pull into the left lane, having made my point and removed him from my bumper ;) If he then wants to do 100+ to get his rocks off and grow some hairs back on his chest again, let him!

Just to see the look on their faces as you walked away from them would be worth the money of the turbo conversion alone :)

I think you've convinced yourself, get it done :D As Kev says though, the VRT seems more than capable of keeping up with bigger cars!

Anyway minor update. The oil leak wasn't actually an oil leak at all, it turns out that my PAS reservoir has a massive crack in it, spilling hydraulic oil all over my mocal and picking up all other kinds of dirt and crud before hitting the floor, thus looking like oil. Replacement reservoir obsolete from TPS, but managed to get one on VWHeritage so waiting on that to come before I can drive it.

Also I think my MAF is playing up as the car is struggling to pick up revs smoothly at times (especially dropping speed - 40mph to 25mph for example in 3rd gear, letting the engine wind down a little, then applying throttle again and you can feel the car struggling to fuel). Tried removing the MAF to clean it, but couldn't get the bugger off as it's stuffed down the wing so difficult to get any access unless I had a ramp. Does this sound like MAF to you guys? Coilpack and leads look good. Vince says the charger has a habit of oiling the MAF up a bit so hopefully its just residue from before.

Picked up a couple of BAD stone chips too :( But I'll book it in to the body shop at some point before the national day as it's driving me nuts just looking at them (they're right in the middle of the bonnet!) Excuse the dirt etc.

WP_20140315_001_zps683abc0b.jpg

Oh, and the next phase is underway ;) The trimmers have told me that they can't replicate the indented "Recaro" emblem like on the factory seats so I've gone with a beige threaded emblem instead. Should be just as subtle anyway

WP_20140314_001_zps667d437a.jpg

These cars are never ending work!

Edited by n3p

Also I think my MAF is playing up as the car is struggling to pick up revs smoothly at times (especially dropping speed - 40mph to 25mph for example in 3rd gear, letting the engine wind down a little, then applying throttle again and you can feel the car struggling to fuel). Tried removing the MAF to clean it, but couldn't get the bugger off as it's stuffed down the wing so difficult to get any access unless I had a ramp. Does this sound like MAF to you guys? Coilpack and leads look good. Vince says the charger has a habit of oiling the MAF up a bit so hopefully its just residue from before.

Picked up a couple of BAD stone chips too :( But I'll book it in to the body shop at some point before the national day as it's driving me nuts just looking at them (they're right in the middle of the bonnet!) Excuse the dirt etc.

These cars are never ending work!

Mine seems to have this exact behaviour also, on overrun from 3K there is a stutter on coming back onto throttle, I have cleaned the maf a few times but doesn't seem to make any difference. Strange that yours is inside the wing? Take it yours doesn't do it on warm up either?

Yep be prepared for some loud bangs :( stone chips on boost are not fun

Mine seems to have this exact behaviour also, on overrun from 3K there is a stutter on coming back onto throttle, I have cleaned the maf a few times but doesn't seem to make any difference. Strange that yours is inside the wing? Take it yours doesn't do it on warm up either?

Yep be prepared for some loud bangs :( stone chips on boost are not fun

Yep, seems to be fine when warming up, but once I take it up to speed (when warm) and down again is where it starts doing it. When time permits I will try again to get the inlet off so I can clean out the MAF with carb cleaner (it's apparently down the wing as it needs to be a certain distance from the turbo to get a good reading) and my ISV too just to rule it out. I'm tempted to buy a new MAF and coilpack anyway just to see if it cures it. If not, then good to have the spares I suppose.

Car booked in to the body shop in a couple of weeks, entire bonnet going to be repainted - hopefully it will last longer this time!

I think you've convinced yourself, get it done :D As Kev says though, the VRT seems more than capable of keeping up with bigger cars!

Sadly no chance of that! I don't have VR Turbo kind of money kicking around. Though I'm on the cusp of getting my VR engine fully rebuilt (once I can come to terms with the cost of doing that!) - that's about the limit for me, for a while!

Did have the pleasure of driving the Stealth turbo though, for a Sprinter review - it was so, so good :)

Rams on here had a metal recaro stamp made up so the orginal look could be kept on his recaros when he had them reupholstered

Did have the pleasure of driving the Stealth turbo though, for a Sprinter review - it was so, so good :)

Ha, I read that sprinter too many times to mention! Good review although tough on the wallet :)

That is looking sooooo nice. Cannot wait to see the interior :)

Always had soft spot for the RC's

Thanks Leonard :) Although they are CHs not RCs

The front seats will be for sale some time soon...

DSCN0399.jpg

Rams on here had a metal recaro stamp made up so the orginal look could be kept on his recaros when he had them reupholstered

Genius! May have to ask if he still has the metal stamp or if his trimmer kept it. Thanks for the heads up :)

Edited by n3p

Minor update.

Recaros being collected this week

Car currently in body shop having stone chips dealt with

Going up to Stealth on Friday to get some initial teething problems sorted (boost stutter, Vince reckons a map tweak is needed)

And made a very rough start on the double din conversion. I decided to use a mk4 golf cage as a)it securely holds a double din, and b) heater controls can be mounted using the existing holes.

Mock up of a mk4 cage with Corrado heater controls:

WP_20140324_004_zps7425353b.jpg

So out with the dremel, and after a lot of cutting and chopping I was left with a rough amalgamation of a Corrado and Mk4 cage. Just held loosely in place in this pic (heater controls), and the "roughness" around the screen (particularly the bottom LH corner) etc was prior to de-burring and smoothing (in fact it's now pretty much invisible). It's currently being araldite-d to all buggery - I'll fix them together in a couple of places too for good measure.

Oh, and the eagle eyed among you will have noticed that I've left the hole for a mk4 cup holder. Bit silly as it will cover half the screen when in use, but much better than no holder!

There's a slight bit of bowing by the heater controls, but no where near enough to deform the existing surround. Going to be a tight squeeze into the dash section! Hopefully I'll be able to pull it off...

WP_20140328_001_zpseeb20ce2.jpg

I've read a thread on vwvortex where someone said the heater cables could be an issue, but I'll have to see how I get on when it comes to fitting. I seem to remember when changing my dash that there was room for movement anyway. When I get the car back I'll also find a new place to fix the back of the cage to part of the dash innards. Hope this post proves to be useful to anyone else unsure of going double din, as it isn't really well documented anywhere.

Not long till the National Day!

excellent idea. Could you mount the heater controls above the cage,perhaps?

excellent idea. Could you mount the heater controls above the cage,perhaps?

I was initially planning to flip the cage around so the controls are on the top and the cup holders at the bottom, but the cup holder cartridge wouldn't have fit down there where it tapers, and there's no allowance for shaving it to fit (whereas the heater controls are more dremel friendly)

Wish I had the nous to fit the climatronic screen... maybe a project for the future :)

You should be ok with the cables. Mine have worked faultlessly for the past 5 years with a double din setup. Although I don't have the cup holders but the extra downwards movement shouldn't make much of a difference. Just make sure they have a nice smooth route and aren't tangled in wiring harnesses.

Getting busy I see Nick get some pic's up when you get the interior back in for us who are not going to make national day (This year) :salute: