dukest

The Tyre Discussion Thread - please read 1st post

Cool, thanks! As I say, the car only has to last until May and then it's meeting it's maker :D

Interestingly, the A001 didn't fare so well in this test - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

But the second place tyre gets an absolute slating on the same site. Bloody online reviews aren't worth schitt are they?! :D

Yeah the fronts are down to around 1mm on the front, so traction out of junctions is comical!

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I've gone for Kleber Quadraxers. I'll let you know what they're like. Seem to get quite good reviews and they tyre place bloke said he's got them on his car and rates them. £80 each was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I'd rather stay on the road this winter, even if it is a car I don't give a sheet about!

Cool, thanks! As I say, the car only has to last until May and then it's meeting it's maker :D

Interestingly, the A001 didn't fare so well in this test - http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2012-Auto-Bild-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

But the second place tyre gets an absolute slating on the same site. Bloody online reviews aren't worth schitt are they?! :D I

Yeah the fronts are down to around 1mm on the front, so traction out of junctions is comical!

---------- Post added at 11:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

I've gone for Kleber Quadraxers. I'll let you know what they're like. Seem to get quite good reviews and they tyre place bloke said he's got them on his car and rates them. £80 each was a bit more than I wanted to spend but I'd rather stay on the road this winter, even if it is a car I don't give a sheet about!

My girlfriends car has the A001's and they've been great on a non performance car. Never found a lack of grip in summer and was great fun in winter, driving up snowy hills when no one else could even get half way up.

Not worn as fast as I expected in summer either.

My girlfriends car has the A001's and they've been great on a non performance car. Never found a lack of grip in summer and was great fun in winter, driving up snowy hills when no one else could even get half way up.

Not worn as fast as I expected in summer either.

Good stuff!

I hope the Klebers work out to be as good as that. The Alfa has enough torque to activate the traction control coming out of junctions, so I guess it's relatively performance-ish :D

I loved driving the Rado on winter tyres. The combo of VR6 weight on the driven wheels and good tyres = actually moving forwards! The 2010/11 winter saw loads of soft roaders and practically every Merc / BMW parked up on verges but the Rado was totally unphased, even up icey hills.

I'll never drive in winter on summer tyres again!

Quick Q before i make a mistake i'm going to regreat.

205 50 15 on speedlines....

narrowed a choice down to dunlop sport 01's or conti premium contacts....

need 4 tyres and the difference is 55 squid. think i know the answer but just checking.

Edited by delfinis38

cheer's conti's it is then :)

Each to their own, but my experience of Conti Sport Contact 2, great in the dry and warm conditions, nice soft compound, but terrible in the wet, especially if driven fairly hard.

Youve never driven on pirelli p600s then have you, compared to other tyres the contis are pretty good in the wet considering they are a summer tyre

Each to their own, but my experience of Conti Sport Contact 2, great in the dry and warm conditions, nice soft compound, but terrible in the wet, especially if driven fairly hard.

Would second that but wouldn't say they are that bad in the wet, seen reviews and have found myself that the grip disappears quite dramatically near The end of there life.

The only tyres I've had problems in the wet with are Toyos and LingLong fullrun Arrowbum chocolatecheese taiwanese type budget junk. Bridgestone, Conti, Goodyear have all been excellent all rounders. What I like about Conti is their consistency, ride quality and light weight.

need 4 tyres and the difference is 55 squid. think i know the answer but just checking.

bridgestones are available once again in that size from event tires online, who fit at your home or work, in the flavour of RE002 & around £90ea

finally no more avon or similar ****e!!! & the service i had from the event fitter was superb & took less than 20 mins for 2 tires :D

This could prove to be a really useful thread, I've got Dunlop P9000's, they're not in production anymore so when I lose a tyre next, it might be a new full set.

bridgestones are available once again in that size from event tires online, who fit at your home or work, in the flavour of RE002 & around £90ea

finally no more avon or similar ****e!!! & the service i had from the event fitter was superb & took less than 20 mins for 2 tires :D

I'm yet to try the Adrenaline RE002, but one of our sales guys was trying them out as a test. He said they're great in the dry, but a little skittish in the colder wet weather. He's had them on about 6-8 months and still around 5mm of tread left. He does around 30k miles a year in a new Passat.

If anyone tries them on their Rado before I do, please let me know what they're like 😉, lol.

okay it's crunch time ! plastic cards out of the wallet and waiting to spend !

the consensus was to go for the conti's but someone has thrown bridgestones into the equation now and they are not that much more ! so what do i do ????? want a premium set of tyres (not a mitch)

I'm yet to try the Adrenaline RE002, but one of our sales guys was trying them out as a test. He said they're great in the dry, but a little skittish in the colder wet weather. He's had them on about 6-8 months and still around 5mm of tread left. He does around 30k miles a year in a new Passat.

If anyone tries them on their Rado before I do, please let me know what they're like , lol.

Hi Grim1 & anyone that might be interested

When i used to have my 1.8 16v rado i was able to buy bridgestone SO2's & SO3's - the former of which were by far the best tire i have ever used on 1 of my own cars. The SO3 was extremely close to the performance & durability of the SO2 but the SO2 was a little better in the wet (as you could barely tell the difference between wet or dry on that tire even when pushing hard)

I was pleased to see bridgestone had reintroduced a 15" tire & having had them on the front for several months now i can happily say i was not disappointed!!

The RE002 is excellent in the dry - i very often take my rado for a spirited run around the cloverleaf in redditch, which is a mecca for crazy motor bike riders to get their knee down & my 70mph dual lane playground (if you have never heard of it take a look on google!!!), & can confidently say they are damn close to SO3 performance

They are also brilliant in the wet - you can only marginally tell there is slightly less grip but you have to really push them to get to that point & with normal driving they give a great feeling of confidence in grip levels. They also cope very well with being able to pretty much plant the power down in 2nd in the wet - something which an avon would just spin up on in the VR

I had fun testing the above during yesterdays torrential downpours & was impressed as always lol ;)

Personally, i will not be purchasing any other tire than the RE002 for my VR unless bridgestone decide to bring the SO3 or a similar higher performer back in a 15"

I should also mention that the service i received from the guy at event tires was awesome & extremely quick - he had both new front tires on before i could even make him a cuppa!! much less painful than going to those horrid tire fitter cowboy places!!

As for wear rate - all i can say at present is that they are lasting much better than a cr4ppy avon zv blah de blah & i have recorded the mileage when fitted so as i can tell exactly how long they lasted :D

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r

When i used to have my 1.8 16v rado i was able to buy bridgestone SO2's & SO3's - the former of which were by far the best tire i have ever used on 1 of my own cars. The SO3 was extremely close to the performance & durability of the SO2 but the SO2 was a little better in the wet (as you could barely tell the difference between wet or dry on that tire even when pushing hard)

Yeah the SO2 was an awesome tyre. Sadly missed :-( Well, classic Porsche owners can still get them but not us normal tyred folk!

The bit in bold is exactly right. Something I always felt with Bridgestones too. The last Bridgestone I used was the RE050. Another great tyre from them but not as good as the SO2 or RE720 imo. Do they still use their dual compound tread? It gets softer the more it wears, so unlike other tyres, grip is consistent for the entire life of the tyre.

could do you conti @ £66.00 in vat and postage, if thats any help

How much would it cost to have it fitted. Noticed your in Pestatyn and Iam in north wales aswell.

I am thinking about getting some Winter tyres fitted at the end of the month. I was wondering whether anybody can make me a recommendation? I have standard Corrado size Speedlines/BBS Storm wheels, looking for purely excellent winter performance at the cheapest price possible?!..anyone recommend a tyre and source? Many thanks

Need to replace all 4 corners this year. Currently have Kumho 205/40Z/R17 80W which I've been very happy with. Only use the car in the summer so winter performance not an issue. Continental sports contacts seem a good option?

What's hot, what's not?

Right, Just spent ages reading the whole thread and have come to these conclusions,

1/ 205 50 15 are the size for me (I have a standard (for now) ride height storm)

2/I'm thinking Rainsport 2's (I have these on my Golf VR6), Kuhmo KU31 (is KH31 the same), Conti's (bit exxy)

3/ I'm a tight a*se

can anyone reccomend a great budget choice?

mr Lobitos, any ideas

I know I'm slightly biased 😉, but a good tyre in the dry is the Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002. Plenty of grip, plenty of stiffness to the sidewalks without sacrificing too much comfort with reasonable wear rate. I've been running a set on my Mondeo, and been really impressed. That said, I am fitting a set of our T001 soon as they're more suited to commuting.

I've been quoted £90 incl VAT and fitting for Conti Premium Contact 2 and £65 for Kumho KU31 by Lepsons of Gillingham.

They are an excellent tyre shop that really take care of your wheels. I'm going to get them to refurbish the rims and put on new tyres soon.