coullstar

Lucky number 7 - sold but 911 in its place

.....but why would a car with only 87k on it need a brand new engine and gearbox rebuild...? And why would you sell it for little more than £10k???

Gearbox syncro's on early cars can go between 1st and 2nd so may have had that. Id be interested as to why the engine went, possibly tensioner issues as Ive seen one other that did that. Turbo's can go and its an engine out job to change.

Thats about the right price for a standard car at the moment, probably just wants rid of as the are generally solid so people dont tend to base buying one on mileage now. Its a good base car but none of the almost necessary mods done. Alcantara wheel, carbon inlays and H-tech seats as well which are relatively rare and all work well together. Still thinking of the H-itechs for mine.

Cat back & remap. That should yeild 430bhp. Chassis wise rear ARB and possibly front brake upgrade.

Easy other mods are then downpipes and suspension which will then push up power (and torque) to 470bhp ish.

You then get into meth kits, intercoolers, fuel pump and injectors which will take it over 500-530bhp.

Add some hybrid or Loba Turbos to the mix and it will get closer to 600bhp.

All relatively simple and the car can easily handle the power.

I guess I can't really talk, but selling a car that's had £17.5K's worth of engine (not under warranty I assume) and gearbox refreshing - for £10K - doesn't really compute in my mind. I can't help but feel this car is jinxed in some way and would just be a financial nightmare in the long run.

I will be honest and spend a couple of thousand extra on already modified one unless you really want a standard car. Audisrs is the best forum for these.

I do like these........but..... I have a feeling they are like my Compomotives, good in pictures but in the metal so much better....

I hope that didn't come across badly, i think you just need to see the depth of them for them to have their full impact...

4 months since last update. Just shows how much Ive been using it. Ive probably done 200mile in that time. True to form the Th's were sold. I still havent touched anything on the list that is up a few pages back so I still have the baffled sump, 288's, oils etc all to do.

I did buy an exhaust for it (2nd hand Techtonics) but havent even looked at fitting it. Also had a fuel filter needing to go on. Almost bought a G60 box to rob the FD and 3rd gear from but decided against it. Maybe with the better weather and later nights starting I'll look at it again.

Been neglecting the Corrado a bit and didnt realise the MOT ran out over a month ago so going to set aside some time tomorrow to do:

1. Oil + all filter change.

2. Fit baffled sump (only had it for two years).

3. Fit uprated mounts (finally)

4. Change out thermostat as its knackered.

I'll also get the short shifter and 288 brakes on soon as well once MOT's done and see about fitting the Techtonics exhast. Reason being is that Im wanting to do some trackdays this year so getting the car prepped for that. I might also get one of my two spare steerign wheels redone in alcantara and see about a Mocal oil cooler.

I also picked up a set of tatty RC's from a certain member which need some TLC but doing it myself as they dont need to be perfect. I will probably run without the centre caps as they are needing new badges and Im not paying £100+ for replacements unless someone knows an alternative that would fit? Should be able to stick some VW centre caps into the bare centres to look half decent. Tyres are getting ditched as they are all budget.

Colour Im still not sure on. As its going to be a mainly track car I fancied maybe white or just plain silver. No black or dark colours.

Heres what it should look like with silver on silver.

Edited by coullstar

Cheers but I was going to replace the chrome ones as I prefer them. Thats what I had on the RC on the green car and think it worked well. For the price of the small caps I'll try them first. Sanded the lips down and they look okay now.

Managed to get the sump and filter done today but realised the oil i bought ages ago was diesel specific, dumbass.

Some random photos from yesterday, more as a diary for me to be honest. Sticking with standard airbox.

On the look out for some brake ducts and a Mocal now as well.

Decided to use my favourite Mk2 as inspiration so the RC's are going to be done in white.

Some progress today. Front mount changed to Rendshaw type then decided to tackle the thermostat. First time Ive done one, wasnt that bad but need to test it out on the morning as I ran out of time. Raking through my bits I found new blue & yellow temp sesors plus OE thermo cap and other bolted cap so they were replaced.

Managed to get a good deal on some Pirelli P-zero nero's so I will get them on the RC's next week. They will be silver now and I will run them with VW badges in the small centre I think.

I think I'll bin the rear wiper as well as the jet id not working and the blade is cut. MOT on Wed so fingers crossed but all seems fine so should pass.

FAIL. Not bad though, bulge in front flexi and front sidelights not working. Must say the new front mount is a lot better.

Ive tried the headlight switch with a new one so it isnt that, for the parking lights. Maybe its the bulbs themselves if they are seperate. I cant remember as its that long since I replaced bulbs on a Corrado!

I'll just fit the 288's I have now if im going to have to replace the front hose.

Then its short shift. Picking up the RC's today with the new tyres and they will get a lick of paint. First time Iv driven the car in a month or so and its amazing how right they feel straight away.