coullstar

Lucky number 7 - sold but 911 in its place

I would have loved to have seen it, IIRC its was an 8v with turbo from a Volvo. Full cage, brakes etc.

Ive bought some OE brake ducts and Ive been thinking about using the spare fogless lights that i have sitting about. I ran them on the VRT during track days to get some cool air into the bay. I might buy some of that grill mesh and bond it onto the hole so they look like lights from a distance (or at least no gapping holes) and to stop larger bits of debris. I may duct one into the airbox and the other onto the oil cooler.

Aim is to keep the car as near stock as possible or at least easy to convert back yet able to take some track abuse.

Yeah it was something along those lines, I can't remember exactly. Other cars I liked at the time were Jeroen Dik's 300hp MK1 G60 and Larry Edwards's MK2 16V Turbo. Both were blistering up the 1/4 mile. They were the good old days of engineering. Not been the same since!

A little progress, stripped the 288's to change out seals and the pistons were not the best so two new pistons ordered and put in place last night. Calipers dont look great cosmetically but this isnt going to be a show car and I'll sort that out later as I need them fitted. Secured some braided hoses from a mate as well. Should get this all fitted at the weekend assuming the hardline disconnect okay. Plusgas and Ezibleed at the ready!!

Also gave the RC's a quick refurb. Managed to do it with the tins I had lying about from other projects. Not perfect but again good enough for now. 4 Pirelli PZero Nero's fitted as well. Runnig them without the main centre caps as I have some small ones to fit into the small centrebore.

Car should be ready for MOT next week but I'll probably leave it until June to get it back out.

Wheels look great- what's do you do for self refurb? Did you grind away kerbing and then fill, sand, primer, paint, lacquer?

Basically thats the process but I didnt use filler. I could have done that but in all honesty these (as is most of it now) worked on when I had the spare odd minute. They are not great close up but good enough for what Im using them for. Couple of coats of primer, sand, some wheel silver paint, sand, top coat of satin silver, light sand, 3-4 coats of lacquer.

They all balanced up well which is the main thing for me plus they are reasonably light.

Rc's have come up pretty good Graeme, glad you didn't do them white, the MK2 rims looks good, but I think the black arch trims helps to split the silver and white

I managed to get the 288's on today. Took a while as the nut on the near side pipe rounded off but luckily I had a set of replacement front hardlines in the garage already.

All bled (inc m/c) and getting the usual spongy pedal that most folks get. Took the car up and down the lane and still feel a bit iffy but I'll leave it and bleed again tomorrow. Put the RC's on with the centre caps. Was hoping for a kind of motorsport look, I think they look okay.

Wheels look good mate what hoses do you need for the 288 conversion ? Is it just standard hoses for a vr ? And im sure iv read you can upgrade the mc ? Cant quite remember what car from though

I just used Goodridge late Mk3 banjo type. Brakes are better now after running the car last week.

Little update on the daily car. I traded the 130i a couple of months back for an Alfa 159 Ti saloon. Really nice car but I just couldnt live with the saloon impracticallity and it was acutally quite bad on fuel for being a diesel. It was therefore punted on and I didnt really loose any money so Im back to VW's and a car I know well, a Mk4 4motion. Picked this one up a week ago now. Its has Koni/eibach, H&R arbs, Supersprint exhaust, blue haldex controller, LCR front brakes, full heated leather, R32 wheel and a few other bits and bobs. Its not mint but that whats I need as its essentially a daily hack. Ive removed the R32 trim / pedals and there getting sold on as its too bling for me.

The RC's from the Corrado have been put on as the wheels it came with were on winter tyres but I had to use 15mm spacers and the BBS stick out too far so Im on the look out for some subtle 17's that clear the brakes.

Corrado is getting the Techtonics put on in the next week or so and it really needs alignment dont so I hope to get that done before the track day in July.

That Alfa is a properly handsome beast. Gotta love the Italian flair for design. I like Alfa interiors too.

Nice work on the 4Motion. Love the full recaros in those. Proper Recaros, unlike the naff & over rated ones the Corrado got.

What Konis has it got? FSDs or just regular yellow adjustables?

Good stuff on the Techtonics. I've got one coming over this week from Schimmel for the R32. Did you go for the dual borla one? Easily the best exhaust I ever put on my Corrado - by a country mile.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Yeah the Alfa interior was a nice place to be but almost too nice for a daily car.

The car has the adjustable Koni's, only issue with 3dr seats is they sit too high. The Techtonics is 2nd hand affair that was for sale on here a while back, I have one on the 24v and love the simplicity of them. Its the rear box with small mid box so might be a little louder.

I think Im going to put the standard exhaust and brakes on the 4mo as there a bit too much for everyday use.

Alfa interiors make you realise how boring German ones are!

Not touching the suspension on mine as it's plenty hard enough, but I am interested in the FSDs when the OEM Bilsteins let go.

That sounds like the dual borla TT exhaust we know and love. It has exactly the right tone and volume level for OEM+ imo and no cabin drone at all.

Are the brakes a bit too sharp then?

They must have hust needed bedding in mate , how do they feel compared to the normal setup on a vr , iv been stuck on weather to go for the 288's or the 312 setup , the one thing that scares me is that if i ding a wheel i wont be able to fit a standard wheel back on , and id struggle to get another 16" speedline

I think ill keep my eye out for the 288's im just worried they will fade to fast on a spirited drive

, the alpha is nice mate shame you had to sell up , iv always fancied the gtv i think thats the model anyway , lovely cars but i like how the golf looks on the audi wheels

They feel better but I dont know what pads are in. I asked a while back and it would seem the jump to 312 from 288 is not worth the hassle of not being able to run standard wheels. Just get good quality discs and pads.

Yeah the Audi wheels are okay but they weigh 22kg+ with tyre which is rediculous for a 17in wheel. Im either going light(er)weight 17's or try and get some 8in RC's. Tried a friend a set had and they were lighter than these things by a mile and lighter than the 7.5in ones that come on the Anniversary golfs. Just goes to show OEM wheels are generally shat cast heavy whoors.

, iv been stuck on weather to go for the 288's or the 312 setup , the one thing that scares me is that i i ding a wheel i wont be able to fit a standard wheel back on , and id struggle to get another 16" speedline

I think ill keep my eye out for the 288's im just worried they will fade to fast on a spirited drive

You just put the spare on the rear and the rear on the front on the unlikelly event of a front tyre deflating

They must have hust needed bedding in mate , how do they feel compared to the normal setup on a vr , iv been stuck on weather to go for the 288's or the 312 setup , the one thing that scares me is that if i ding a wheel i wont be able to fit a standard wheel back on , and id struggle to get another 16" speedline

, the alpha is nice mate shame you had to sell up , iv always fancied the gtv i think thats the model anyway , lovely cars but i like how the golf looks on the audi wheels

Still getting ready for 20th for the VW trackday. Ive got some DS2500 pads on the way after almost deciding to fit the Brembo's from the Golf onto the C. Im still taking them off the Golf though and keeping the 17in RC's on it. Only exhaust, gearbox oil, short shift and brake ducts to fit before the track day in a couple of weeks.

I picked up a set of genuine Santa Monica's which I was away to get my tyres fitted to on Monday but luckily the tyre guy I use was away. I say luckily as I came back to work, went on ebay, found some nicer wheels and won the auction last night for a decent price. I'll update when I get them but it will be a sense of de-javu.

Still getting ready for 20th for the VW trackday. Ive got some DS2500 pads on the way after almost deciding to fit the Brembo's from the Golf onto the C. Im still taking them off the Golf though and keeping the 17in RC's on it. Only exhaust, gearbox oil, short shift and brake ducts to fit before the track day in a couple of weeks.

I picked up a set of genuine Santa Monica's which I was away to get my tyres fitted to on Monday but luckily the tyre guy I use was away. I say luckily as I came back to work, went on ebay, found some nicer wheels and won the auction last night for a decent price. I'll update when I get them but it will be a sense of de-javu.

A set of 5 spoke design by any chance, if so, I was gonna have a bid on those, but forgot :bonk:

Aye thats the ones.

Plenty brake clearance for the Brembo's with those then and had at a very good price :cool:

Weel wheels arrived yesterday, was all set to get tyres on today so took them out to check everything over.

As you can probably see from colour all is not right with one of them, will see what they say about that. Few other little things as well.