GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

So, finally paid in and part of the forum again

A few things have changed since I last posted, so lets start from where I left off.

Had the 1.8 20v in and running but whenever I revved it the garage filled with smoke.. not good.

Did a compression check on it and found all 4 had low compression, I assume the engine didn't like sitting on the garage floor for a few years, I will take the head off one day and take a look.

Anyway, my first step was to get a couple of DSG boxes, one with a broke mech and the other with broke 3rd gear, the idea was to make 1 good from the 2.

Unfortunately they both had teeth missing from 3rd and one had a tooth on a mech magnet so it got confused to what gear it was in, expensive mistake alyhough it did mean I had 2 good mechs to sell.

50376559907_01a97318e0.jpg

50376559877_eaa142d5ec.jpg

50376388191_100da1ecf8.jpg

Managed to find another going cheap with a slipping clutch, and luckily I had 2 spare clutches as well 🙂

50376388181_e29ccf7fb7.jpg

Then along came lockdown and the cancelation of the shows, so I thought it was time to go to the next level

I found a TFSI on ebay, the seller sent me an offer of £100, I almost accepted it but did the decent thing and contacted him first to check his mistake, ended up getting it for 550 which is still cheap, and he delivered it for free.

Looked into fitting it using the standard mounts but with a K03 turbo its not possible due to the recirc valve hitting the rear mount, although I now know it is possible to relocate the recirc with K04 parts.

Got some new mk5 golf mounts and set about welding them in then boxing them to look a little neater

50375649298_7cec4481e2.jpg

50376347891_e266e88184.jpg

And then it slotted in nicely

50376520527_e836999fe9.jpg

Wiring wise, its reasonably easy, one harness comes from the ECU smaller connector and runs around the the sensors on it with a couple of supplies, the larger connector is mainly for relays, supplies and feeds to the cluster

50375648458_19aa170099.jpg

I ran it through the chassis to tuck it away for the engine harness and for the harness into the car I went through the now redundant throttle cable hole 

Edited by rado20vT

At the moment, to steady the engine I knocked up a solid front mount

50376348431_fc135129b4.jpg

I may change that to be the dog bone mount style at a later date depending on how it drives.

The ECU I had the immobiliser deleted by UBER Tuning.

The DSG has it own ECU built in, the mechatronic, this is pretty much self sufficient because it has its own internal sensors for input speed and output speed so it knows what going on.

I did however connect it to the engine ECU by the CAN bus and have also fitted a PCB from a mk5 cluster so I can use the CAN data transmitted from that and also fitted the Gateway so I have full diags

Also tried to fit a pedal box from an auto, but the one I got was from a mk2 golf and does not fit the Corrado, I ended up cutting the clutch side from the Corrado pedal box and using the brake pedal from the auto so it looks right.

Fitted in the throttle pedal while there, for info, the re are 2 types of throttle pedal, with or without the kick down, the DSG needs the kickdown

50375695293_14acd79dee.jpg

The TFSI engine runs higher fuel pressure than the Corrado can supply so the next challenge was to fit a mk5 fuel pump.

I did this by sourcing a mk3 fuel tank, from a GTI on mine being an early 16v shell with the lower boot floor. These have the larger opening like the later VRs etc. Removed the seating ring from the bottom where the pump would lock in on the golf to give more room for the larger mk5 pump, with a small mod to the top plate of the pump it fits in a treat

50375647613_66fbbdab1c.jpg

50375648263_579a68d0b9.jpg

50375695638_79ea254485.jpg

The pressure for the fuel is regulated in the filter, so I got a 6.5bar filter and modified the existing Corrado fuel pump bracket to mount it

50375695313_0678d97bc8.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

With the front cross member in place I had a small problem with the power steering pump with the bracket from the old 1.8t fitted to it

50376520792_7ed188e52b.jpg

to get around that needed some cutting, tried the cross member but still couldn't get it to work. the mk5 golfs and audi A3s use an electric power steering so no bracket is available unless you pay for a bespoke at some silly price (I understand the cost to get these done) 

50375695268_f523362663.jpg

the solution was to use the top half of the mk5 bracket to mount the alternator then buy a bracket from and audi A4 which still uses a hydrollic pump, cut the brackets in half and bolt them to the block, the nice engineers at VAG even put extra bolt holes to bolt the 2 halves too 🙂

50375652478_1a651023a9.jpg

A4 cut in half

50375650708_4311fd0dae.jpg

the mk5 cut in half

50376350006_d59a52a74f.jpg

both fitted

50376349666_c9a053d414.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

Bloody hell some work there. I think i'll need to re-read it to fully take it in! Lots of wiring i saw.

Top marks! 

its always good to see updates on your car Graham, whilst you go about totally rebuilding yours, all i can do is add a few layers of soundproofing and maybe polish a few bits and pieces!  

On a serious note though, the TFSI conversion is one i'm quite interested in seeing an outcome on, and with your typical superb standards of execution this will certainly be an impeccably presented car.

Thanks guys,

A little more, set up the Gateway to have the ECUs fitted only and deleted the rest

50376393631_5803b4a693.jpg

I dont have ABS fitted to the car but still want to feed the wheel speed data into the DSG (it doesn't need it to work but I want it anyway) and the cluster board, I plan to fit ABS rings to the front hubs and feed that signal into the MoTeC dash, once its in the dash I can convert it into a CAN message and transmit it with some other data, counters etc, with that it will keep the DSG happy and also make the mileage on the cluster board work.

The cluster board is just a small PCB from a mk5 GTI cluster, when powered its the brain of the cluster with just the dials and LEDs on the main bigger board, 

This is the board tucked into the Corrado cluster housing, there will be another bit of strip board with a few components and an arduino to convert some other data to CAN data.

50380370532_2445ba1e0f.jpg

It will look something like this when all fitted

50379445793_6b149a8a61.jpg

with a few different pages

50380318537_c50ea11385.jpg

50376532337_ed89d828df.jpg

50375661538_e0e13f473c.jpg

I'll also have a rear camera and mirror the screen from my phone 😉

The downpipe is from a mk5 GTI, 3" cut and welded to fit then wrapped to try and stop the heat transfer

50375695348_c554fbea31.jpg

so now its 3" all the way through

50380412017_f56353e672.jpg

This is the second time starting, was soooo surprised it started without any problems once the fuel was there. I hope you can click on the pic below and the vid will open

50376353641_2d983fd874.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

Then last week when we were promised sun for the weekend I resprayed, again the drivers side and tailgate, another few coats that I can flat and polish

50376393721_d8393a3217.jpg

50375695173_e3f423c3b9.jpg

In other news, I got hold of some heated seat relays, a dash switch and have made most the harness for it, even managed to get a new connector for the switch, I'll let you know how it gets on when its done

Next problem is the driveshafts, they need to have the DSG inner CVs and the Corrado 4 stud outer CVs, I have found some in Germany that are for the 02M box, I need to measure the length and see if the 02M is the same as DSG

Other little niggles that need fixing are the reverse light switch which the DSG doesn't have, that will be another arduino project and also the same for the spoiler control because there isn't a speed signal like the 02A boxes

Edited by rado20vT

Some epic work going on there Graham! Proper engineering stuff here and I'm full of envy at your ability to get it all working in harmony. 👌

Your work is fantastic.  I love a challenge but this is awesome and I'm sure you will sort it. Good luck with it all. Unfortunately you are on your own with this fabulous journey. Nothing is impossible  👍

Not much of an update, been a bit busy with the house this weekend

Got a tip for the exhaust, nice fake carbon from ebay and started looking at the side repeater fitting in the mirrors because I deleted them from the wings

50389984406_53989687bb.jpg

50390158482_58466cc1ed.jpg

Edited by rado20vT
  • Like 1

Todays job, fit a washer bottle from a mk5 golf, fits in quite nice although I may need to modify the air duct to get around it

50412617106_1e7de39a87.jpg

50411920353_7e26e515a4.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

Keep looking at the mess crammed into the corner under the dash, commonly known as the fuse box and thinking that is just the reason so many cars have problems.

So I bought one of these

50446383537_9604404c5c.jpg

Body control module and will supply power to most of the car.

Unfortunately I won't do everything so will still need to keep the fuse box box with only a few wires  

Using this will also mean more data for the CAN bus I'm using for the MoTeC

Now need to work out the best place to put it 🙂

Edited by rado20vT

After once again almost getting it to a point where it was ready to go, I have managed to take many many steps backwards.

I have spent some time getting the BCM working and now have it transmitting CAN data and worked out what most of it means (part of the joy of being a supplier to VAG 😁 )

The BCM supplies each light separately so not only each side light, headlight but also brake lights (each side and 3rd), rear fog lights (I've deleted the fronts) and reverse lights, which means running some extra wires to the rear lights and into the tailgate.

So, I have again removed the interior and dash, maybe sometimes I should just bang head against a wall instead, removed all the wiring and the fuse box, then started modifying the fuse bracket to hold the BCM and a later fuse box

50529603893_3de30218a2.jpg

Now started re-making the harnesses, starting with the rear

Edited by rado20vT

rear part of the harness reworked, just need to wrap it

Includes all rear light feeds separated out, spoiler, rear screen heater, boot pop, TPMS rear antenna, Rear interior light (from mk5 GTI) TFSI fuel pump, heated front seats.

Rear wiper has been deleted

Looks like I need to change the way the lights are set out, the brake lights on the mk5 use the same bulb as the side lights (but so does the Corrado, I hear you say) well yes, but the mk5 uses the same element, so I have changed the rear fog lights to be side and brake then the original brake lights will be the fogs 🙂 hopefully.

50534134927_2e829d61e1.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

The leather trim on my handbrake is looking quite tatty, so whilst looking on ebay I found this 😄

Just need a couple of new rear calipers to go with it

50545145827_43dcd5e083.jpg

Edited by rado20vT

2 hours ago, rado20vT said:

The leather trim on my handbrake is looking quite tatty, so whilst looking on ebay I found this 😄

Just need a couple of new rear calipers to go with it

50545145827_43dcd5e083.jpg

Ok, so what is it? 😂

2 minutes ago, Cressa said:

Ok, so what is it? 😂

You mean you dont know 🤦‍♂️

Electromechanical park brake module 😄 

Wiring diagram looks to be quite simple although is does connect to my non-existent ABS unit but hopefully that will only be for the auto hold that I wont use (yet) 

Ha ha you must be nuts. Do it, to prove it can be done

But.... I have this on my daily Passat and it is not without its bloody problems. Given the choice I would handbrake cable my car if I could 

But it would be good to see your talent do this and create something in place of the handbrake lever. 🤞. I will keep watching 

10 hours ago, Cressa said:

Ha ha you must be nuts. Do it, to prove it can be done

But.... I have this on my daily Passat and it is not without its bloody problems. Given the choice I would handbrake cable my car if I could 

But it would be good to see your talent do this and create something in place of the handbrake lever. 🤞. I will keep watching 

I had read a few horror stories but seemed to be about early Passat systems which is why I bought the rev E, should be a little more reliable, fingers crossed.

I like a challenge 🙂