dickie

Vw motorsport vr6 VSR inlet manifold

Adding information to the thread; There is also something that no one ever mentions regarding the VSR.

The position of the TB is very different of the OEM or even how the Schrick fits. The TB inlet is turned to the left and downwards compared to the OEM.

If you are using the stock Corrado airbox, this will cause the flextube to be a tight and bend the tube will most likely be pinched, thus causing a bad disruption in the airflow. The PCV will most likely have the same issue and maybe it will need to be remade with custom rubber tubing.

Good news is that easy fix is to use an open filter and let that sit wherever the flexy tube and MAF wants.

this has a different looking intake tube and was running onoriginal airbox with no compromise to the tubing.

I'm pretty sure the VSR is almost identical in shape to the stock VR manifold so no such compromise occurs. The schrick, yes, you have to flex the inlet tube quite significantly to make it fit, and a lot of folks buy the early "concertina" type tube to help make this a little easier.

Yes, Mr Fish speaks the truth.

The only "seamless" VSR config uses the one particular model of OBD1 ECU that provides the switch over output line - later ones do not and have to rely on the Schrick controller to do the RPM-based switching. And yes, that ECU was tied to a distributor-fed car. The actual VSR package was the vacuum gear, manifold itself, and a chip that would only work in that particular type of ECU.

Anyone running any other combination is probably using the Schrick controller.

Not true. The original kit (which came out before VR golf in the US) included a VWMS control box and were meant for distributor.

Here's mine...

7554229254_c451ee016e_b.jpg

I'm pretty sure the VSR is almost identical in shape to the stock VR manifold so no such compromise occurs. The schrick, yes, you have to flex the inlet tube quite significantly to make it fit, and a lot of folks buy the early "concertina" type tube to help make this a little easier.

Not true either. The original Corrado intake tube gets kinked when using the stock airbox. Aftermarket intake works best.

Well my internal google failed me, not a surprise.. :)

It's fair to say that the VSR is a much better fit than the Schrick, regardless.

It's fair to say that the VSR is a much better fit than the Schrick, regardless.

Hows that then? granted with the schrick you have to remove a small section from the bonnet and im guessing with the vsr you still have to cut into the wires to fit the control box , i found installing my schrick mani it slotted in just like the standard manifold, i have a concertina section but that didnt seem to need any persuasion.

Edited by captainredeye
mised earlier post

As has been mentioned previously in this thread, the Schrick blocks all access to the spark plug leads and the OE engine cover won't fit on it. It also *seriously* stretches the inlet duct if you're using an OE air box (which is in a fixed location). The Schrick also, as you say, requires you to CUT the underside of the bonnet and the extended runners are dodgily close to the front crossmember. Most fitters recommend uprated engine mounts to prevent the Schrick from fouling around the engine bay. The VSR wouldn't really require any of this.

One is no better than the other in terms of performance. If all people are worried about is accessing the bloody spark plugs once every 20,000 miles, perhaps they should consider a different hobby.

Who's worried about spark plug holes? I mentioned it as an advantage over the Schrick.. nothing more.

Feeling sensitive this week are we Jim? Did I say you were worried about it specifically? Just seen that mentioned a lot in this thread by different people. It really is no biggy at all and the cheaper price of the Schrick (comparing s/hand values) makes that small drawback worth it.

The Schrick also, as you say, requires you to CUT the underside of the bonnet and the extended runners are dodgily close to the front crossmember. Most fitters recommend uprated engine mounts to prevent the Schrick from fouling around the engine bay. The VSR wouldn't really require any of this.

yeah i agree with u there mate good idea to uprate them anyway cos of the nose heavy front end of the VR ;)

yeah i agree with u there mate good idea to uprate them anyway cos of the nose heavy front end of the VR ;)

I would have thought most people's mounts would be in good condition anyway, especially if you were in a position to buy this thing.

It changes the way the car behaves a lot, mine feels so much more solid with VT mounts.

Edited by daleyboy

I would have thought most people's mounts would be in good condition anyway, especially if you were in a position to buy this thing.

It changes the way the car behaves a lot, mine feels so much more solid with VT mounts.

LOL I like it true, but me and u are using commonsense!!!! yep VT ones are great;) and ive seen a couple let go, makes for a lovely dent in the bonnet;) ;)

My issue has always been with the OE bolts on the front mount. Once I switched them out to 12.9 grade they never broke again.

Well, given there's a list of reasons why the VSR is better, and there's no difference in performance, then I personally would pay more for the VSR.. No brainer..

As for the bolts, it's a bit idiotic that the whole of the engine's torque works against just one bolt. Stupid design..

I've done 127,000 miles in my VR6 and never once had that happen, so I don't think it's a design flaw that's the issue there. And I know you'll just retort back with "Yeah but you change your mounts every week", wrong. I've had VT mounts most of those miles with the same flawed, single bolt design :D

And my front engine mount bolt has done 143,000 miles. Doesn't mean it's not a dumb design. For a VW it's remarkably under-engineered.

I think the closest comparison you can make with this part is probably with BBS 301's and they are HIDEOUSLY overpriced. There are other wheels that offer the same performance, with the same quality for half the price. BUT - they are rare, fit perfectly and keep everything as OEM + as you can, being from the same era as Corrado. And that is worth a premium to most.

.........but it still hasn't sold, so obviously not worth the premium to anyone.

I am not knocking Dickie at all, i hope it finds a good home at a good price, so maybe the right place to sell it, just the wrong time.

I think he would have sold this within the week five years ago........

Edited by daleyboy

I think you're being harsh .. the market has changed over the last few years. These cars are simply not as desirable as they used to be and some of the energy has gone from the tuning market on to newer things. (When I joined the CF VW didn't offer a coupe at all .. their last was the Corrado .. now we have the Scirocco 2 and no matter what you say about it being "different" that'll take a sector of the market away from the Corrado..)

But good products will always sell, no matter what the price. It's a question of waiting for the right buyer to come along. And there's no doubt that this is a good product.

Thats what i mean about the timing though, the amount of c's being broken for parts its a dwindling market, our cars are worth less than they were, so heavy investment on one part takes a lot more thinking about, especially if you then sell on it'll be difficult as dickie is finding out.

I was merely pointing out with the economic climate, smaller number of c's which are less valuable, and like you say newer cars for people to go onto (making the c less desirable), this is a hard sell, no doubt its a good product.

I think its just realism not harshness, but maybe in this case they are the same thing.

Kudos premium on the VSR will sell it. If I had 2 VRs (and the money) I'd buy it (when the price goes down more).

OBD2 Schrick wins on price and on real world performance tho'. OBD2 ECU is a significantly better ECU than OBD1. Livelier and much more responsive. Well worth the conversion. No such option with the VSR.

GLWS.

I remember when I ran a group buy on schrick manifolds with stealth a few years back, if memory serves me right we ordered over 35 of them through VR6OC, still don't see many of them about second hand though and only takes 10 minutes whip the manifold off if you know what your doing. Loved mine on my last VR6, and you can also cheaply source the ECU, tank and solenoid from other VW models and places I learnt from having a chat to Vince @ stealth recently about the 'premium' attached to VSR's.

You can make up adaptor plates or re-drill to accommodate the OBD2 throttle body too if you have already converted to OBD2 already so don't let that out you off :-)

Good luck with the sale.