seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Car is looking great Sean, really impressed with the difference from when you first got it! Did you ever establish if it is a storm or not? Are you putting storm badges and colour coded grille on?

Can't believe you've bought another, how come???

It was too cheap to turn down! MOT failure on some minor problems. I've provisionally agreed a price, but I'm going to look it over tomorrow morning. I'll swap a few of my not so good bits with the better bits off of it, get it MOT'd and sell it on. I'll have a better idea tomorrow, but think its too good to break.

Chris, I phoned VW in MK again a few months ago. Spoke to a reasonably helpful guy this time, who said he'd enquire further and email me. True to his word he emailed, but again the result was that their computer system both in the UK, and also a contact in Germany said that it doesn't go back far enough to confirm. I've put the Storm badge back on, and the Grille is still with the Bodyshop being painted as they didn't do it originally (it was in bubble wrap inside the car). I know its not confirmed, but I wouldn't hide that fact if I came to sell it a few years down the line. I like that its mysterious though! :shrug::grin:

Edited by seanl82

I was thinking this too , it would drive me nuts , not knowing . What ever she turns out to be , it will still be a top car .

When I had a storm I wanted it confirmed. I rang a department of Vw uk and they were available to confirm both verbally and they sent me a letter. I'll have a look Sean and see if I have the details.

Good idea on poaching bits from the spare car.

Collecting Friday. I'll get it on the ramps and give it a good going over. Sills weren't picked up on MOT, but they look pretty ropey to me. Intention is to swap some good bits for my not so good bit - although I'm struggling to find much now!. If theres no major welding required, I'll do whats needed to get it through an MOT with a clean bill of health, then flog it on for a few hundred quid profit hopefully. It doesn't stand me at much, and it failed its last MOT on:

Exhaust centre box leaking excessively (will check it out on the ramp

Ball Joints (pair of wishbones with bushes and ball joints provided)

Number plates (currently non-legal pressed)

Sidelight bulb

Cosmetically and to make it presentable:

Roof aerial - base it there but no antenna (£5 from ebay)

O/S front wing due to rust, N/S too possibly

Dash centre console - Mine is a little broken but presentable, so I'll put it into this and get a good one for mine.

In addition, the car wont move unless put into 1st gear from the engine bay, as the shift mech has snapped off at the pivot point where the PO tried to remove a crappy gear knob. I have a spare which I've just got back from Dave16v with the short shift mod done, and I tried to fit it yesterday. Managed to almost get it all done, before realising the ball joint bit that attaches to the shift cable has disintegrated. Luckily with the spare one I got the whole mech, cables, and engine bay bracket. I'll put the short shift in mine, and put mine in this.

The fuel hoses in the bay look quite poor too, so I'll replace them, and give the upper inlet manifold a lick of VHT aluminium, and replace a couple of corroded nuts and bolts with ones I have laying around. A quick engine bay and exterior detail and that'll be it I think.

As far as the bodywork goes, apart from a little rust around the front arches, its very straight and actually much better than mine was when I got it! Interior is black cloth, but seems in very good order and the bolsters are rip free and show only slight wear.

She sports a set of Corrado script door sill trims which I'll have for mine, but the paint has worn along the edge of the sill so a rattle can of Aqua blue, and jobs a goodun!

I'll get some pics up once I've seen whats what. :thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

Finished doing the 288mm upgrade today. Bit of a mission as the hose to hard line fittings wouldn't budge originally, so had to cut them off. New lines required which were easy enough to do, although not perfect on the bends as I didnt have the correct tool. I didn't want to bend them too far incase I crushed them. I'll be doing the full set when I tackle the underside, so I'll do it again properly or buy a full set from the group buy thread. ABS pump is now off though, and I'm in the process of painting up an (apparently) good spare.

Pics.

DSC_0052_zpsvz58qqbx.jpg

DSC_0053_zpsnpkfkcb0.jpg

DSC_0051_zpsrkigazno.jpg

Also took delivery of the aqua one today.

DSC_0054_zpsbvw8vb5b.jpg

DSC_0055_zpsxch3zs9f.jpg

DSC_0056_zpsj4jkt5sq.jpg

DSC_0057_zpsua6aevlz.jpg

DSC_0058_zpsha9lrrah.jpg

DSC_0059_zpsace1cre3.jpg

DSC_0060_zpsnkrq1mh8.jpg

DSC_0061_zpsnki8vz1q.jpg

Battery was dead on the aqua and mine, so I couldn't get it on the ramp today. Should be back on it on Sunday and I've bought both batteries home to charge, so I'll have a good look then. Few little bits I missed, but its still better than mine when I got it!

I'll assess properly in a couple of days, but I've already started swapping a few of the good bits into mine!

Edited by seanl82

Top work mate, the brakes will be an improvement I'm sure

Aqua blue one looks good to. Engine seems ok, has it got many miles on it?

Top work mate, the brakes will be an improvement I'm sure

Aqua blue one looks good to. Engine seems ok, has it got many miles on it?

just what I was wondering Mic can't see mileage in Sean's pic :rolleyes: only kidding sean look's good dude and what's the Bl88dy mileage :lol:

Haha, I did put a pic up of it, but took it back off cos the flash had blocked all but the last three digits! Its on 164k so no spring chicken, but the engine sounds very healthy (well it did before the battery died!). Engine bay needs a bit of a clean up, but nothing too drastic wrong in there. Need a new bonnet cable trumpet, and fuel pipes look a little ropey so may replace them.

Exterior wise, I'll rattle can the drivers door mirror, replace the wing, and obviously change the plates so they're legal. As said a good detail and it'll be very tidy. Bodywork is pretty straight tbh.

Interior needs a centre console, handbrake triangle and bonnet release. The heater dials work on all directions which is a bonus!

Alarm has been fitted by a complete monkey so I'll tidy that up.

Just the underside that needs a good seeing to. Ball joints, ARB bushes were an advisory but thats no dramas, centre exhaust - may need to get a second hand SS cat back as I can't seem to find a pattern centre box, and check out the sills properly. Pretty sure it'll be good to go then!

Oh yeah, and obviously the gear stick!

BTW, all the interior parts you can see missing are in the boot!

Edited by seanl82

I probably will tbh James. As long as the underside is solid, it wont cost a great deal to get it sorted. I'm not spending a fortune on it as I won't see the return. It'll be a good project for someone in the future.

No Rob, its a bit of a parts car. I'm just swapping my not so good bits with some on this if they're any better, then selling it on. It didn't cost a great deal so I'll see a small profit at the end and I'll obviously have some free bit!

Me and Matt should have done the same with the valver we had . We sold just about every last scrap of it . Parts are in high demand now .

I'll do that if the underside is shot and full of holes, but I kinda feel a bit guilty for thinking it! Remember mine was in far worse a state when I got it, and I've managed to turn it around. That was destined to be a breaker if I hadn't have come to its rescue! If I can make a couple of hundred quid on it, I'll be happy mate.

No I haven't mate. Little dubious about bleeding everything properly to get the full benefit after hearing so many stories about poor pedal feel after doing it though. Fingers crossed it should be ok, but I'll take it to a garage to pressure bleed if I don't feel it's right.

Mine felt pretty vague and spongy on my last Corrado, but on this one I fitted braided lines all round and had the teves system too and they feel great. You look like you have nice new rubber lines on this where as the rubber lines on mine were way past their best and I'd guess that was the culprit for the pedal feel. Bleeding them was ok, but I borrowed a vacuum bleeder and that worked well, so much better than the nasty pressure bleeding kits that use a spare tyre for a pressure source.

Mic drove mine recently and liked them. A compliment considering the monster brakes he has!

Yeah hoses and calipers are about 18 months and 6k miles old so should still be pretty fresh. I've only got an eezibleed so I'll do it a couple of times and see about a vacuum bleeder if no joy.