seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

I dread to think how much it'll cost judging from past experience... I got a load of old and new ones zinc plated previously, but some of the old ones are a bit pitted so I'm not entirely happy with them. Need to get a list of part numbers together first though.

I know the front and rear bumper bracket bolts are now obsolete(also one of the front brackets) , Heritage have got some aftermarket front bracket bolts and charging loads for them!

Also the front splitter frame bolts are obsolete!

Luckily I replaced all of those a few years ago so dont need replacements. Most of the front subframe bolts etc need replacing, the rears are mostly ok aside from the fuel filter housing nuts and one or two others. The bumper to bracket bolts are hidden so I was happy to replace them with 10.9 stainless.

This has just jogged my memory. I changed the fuel filter last year , the filter housing brackets didn’t look great . At least I have upgraded to a plastic housing so it won’t weld itself to the brackets.

I've got a very expensive year ahad with my Corrado to be honest. Got a complete engine rebuild to do as started to drink oil a few months back and the smell of burning oil. Also found a rust patch on the underside rear drivers arch corner where it meets the underside of the rear bumper. . Its bloomin cost triple then my golf to get up to mint. Sometimes you do feel like just cutting your losses.

Edited by Keyo

Rear beam stripped back down with beam, brackets and tank straps all removed ready to go with the front bits for powder coating. Should be able to drop them off the end of next week.

Nice one mate. You will find yourself jet washing the underside as well as the body when it’s all put back together and you’ve been out a few times . I know I do . Damned dirt on my powder coated beam and new tank straps , I won’t have it lol.

Calipers have arrived back from Bigg Red and they look absolutely stonking! :dance: I'll try to put some photos up over the next couple of days of recent progress and parts. :thumbleft:

Nice one Sean, did you get the silver plated finish? They look great like that.

Please get some photos up.

Nice one Sean, did you get the silver plated finish? They look great like that.

Please get some photos up.

Hi Chris! Yeah I went with the silver electroplating mate. I wanted standard silver colour but with a bit more protection and the look great. Fronts look like new, and rears although are a little pitted in places, still came up a treat. The handbrake cable mechanism being nice and shiny really set them off too. :thumbleft:

Great stuff Sean . Any idea on when you will be finished?. I suppose you will be away again soon .

Rob, I'd like to say early May but we're going on holiday in April so funds are being watched by the better half! It's only funds for a full set of tyres and service items not yet put aside. May have to see about brake and clutch master cylinder as well so I'll see how it goes when I attempt to fill and bleed the system. I shouldn't be deploying this year, but joining a new ship in July so will have some time at Sea from then on. Perks of being home every night which I've enjoyed for the past 18 months are shortly to be over!

I've removed brake Master and clutch Master & Slave cylinders today. Brake master definitely needs sorting as there is a small amount of fluid on the shaft even though there is no fluid in the reservoir and its not under any pressure.

The Clutch master doesn't show any outward signs of wear, but the boot covers most of the shaft so hard to be sure and there is a pin hole in the boot as well, so its possible that there is an issue. I had a little trouble selecting gear just before I took it off the road, and no amount of shift alignment would sort it. It seemed hydraulic to me though as a double pedal pump would sort it. I replaced the slave cylinder not that long previously, though it was an aftermarket one and its possible that it wasn't up to standard I suppose. I may get a new one of those as well, though there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with it visually

A bit of digging suggests that the LHD clutch master will fit with a bit of fettling of the pressure pipe in order for it to go into the front of the MC, rather than the top at a 45 degree angle as on RHD cars. VW Heritage are selling a JP Group LHD MC for £20. I've spoken to PastParts today and they'll refurbish my original for £90 + VAT. Now, at almost 6 x the cost of the JP group one, I'm reluctant to get it refurbished. Especially considering Jim Bowen had his done and it only lasted 3k miles. I'm in a bit of a quandary over that one.....

The brake MC can also be refurbished for £160 + VAT, though there doesn't appear to be any solution other than refurbishment unfortunately......:scratch::confused:

The boot would need a pinhole otherwise it would blow up like a balloon and maybe pop off / rip?

The boot would need a pinhole otherwise it would blow up like a balloon and maybe pop off / rip?

Makes sense actually..... :bonk: The only other reasons for the clutch issue then is slave cylinder again, or release arm which are known to fatigue and crack/flex.

Hi Sean,do you mind if I ask how much your paying to have that lot in the boot powder coated,assuming that’s what your doing with it,I’ve been watching videos on YouTube about DIY powder coating,although some of the parts would be difficult to get in the kitchen oven,no worries if you’d rather not say,cheers

2 hours ago, Nmdsec said:

Hi Sean,do you mind if I ask how much your paying to have that lot in the boot powder coated,assuming that’s what your doing with it,I’ve been watching videos on YouTube about DIY powder coating,although some of the parts would be difficult to get in the kitchen oven,no worries if you’d rather not say,cheers

Hello mate, no problem at all. Its the first time I've used this place as I'm in a different location now and don't yet know the standard of their work until it comes back, but for;

Subframe, rear axle & brackets, tank straps, drive shafts, hub knuckles and ARB (think that's all of it), they quoted me £120. That sounded really cheap to me which is why I'm reserving judgement on quality. I'd previously had the front cross member, rad support, rad shroud and a load of engine bay brackets done on the south coast in nylon powder coat (a bit more hard wearing apparently) for the same price about 6 years ago. This place don't do nylon though. I'll report back and put some pics up when I get it all back in a couple of weeks bu fingers crossed!

Thanks mate,really appreciate that,it does sound really cheap,like you said have to see how they turn out,the kits I’ve been looking at for DIY are about £250,but at those prices it seems hardly worth putting the effort in.

Sean are you taking your new heat shiel to the powder coater ? I did as it clearly does not get affected by heat just rust ha. 

Edited by Keyo

11 minutes ago, Keyo said:

Sean are you taking your new heat shiel to the powder coater ? I did as it clearly does not get affected by heat just rust ha. 

No mate, it's on already, just needs rivetting into place. The car will rarely be in the wet so content it'll last.

Have  taken  them to the powder coater yet? The coolant bottle holder/ fan control unit that comes in two pieces is a good one to do and also the bonnet strut. 

Edited by Keyo